urbanity

Linear Muzzle Brakes: Advice Needed

Hi all. 

Initially I wanted to install 14x1mm LH AK-74 style muzzle break made by Chris Butler at AK-USA. But my biggest concern is that this muzzle device will make the rifle louder (when I shoot indoors). AK-74 style brakes put a lot of gas out to the sides, they direct so much concussive force sideways towards other people, so it feels more intense.

To make the long story short. I'm looking for one of the modern brakes that directs gas forward, to avoid anything with larger lateral ports.

The original 4 piece Bulgarian is considered a flash hider. I'd also avoid anything with a thread.

Do any of the following linear brakes look g2g to you guys:

Are brake shields like this one (the Griffin Armament QD Blast Shield) even legal in NJ?

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks.

You won't like my advice:

Stop shooting rifles indoors, rifles are loud, comps are loud, and rifles are meant to have some range to be shot at. Linear comps are a huge compromise they give up a lot of the performance of a comp,

If you don't like Vlad's advice, you really wont like mine.  Excluding the Birdcage and 3 prong flash hider, I am not a fan of muzzle devices at all.  I think, for the most part, they are obnoxious ersatz penis extensions used as substitutions for flash hiders.  The widespread proliferation of comps and brakes is a phenomenon seen in states that ban flash hiders.  In every free state the flash hider is the device of choice. 

This is not to say comps and brakes don't have a legitimate useful purpose in life.  I sure as hell would not want to shoot a 50BMG or 300Wby Mag rifle without one.  Additionally, if I was shooting certain types of outdoor competitions ( like 3 gun) I'd probably want one for that specialized purpose also. I also believe that a muzzle device is virtually necessary for SBRs to mitigate the fireball effect. 

If I am not mistaken, I believe the NRA prohibits the use of brakes and comps at their national matches.  I do not compete so I dunno if this is correct but I think it is.  Aside of the prohibition, there is a reason winning competitors in long range competitions use a recess 11 deg target crown.  It works.

About two years ago I did a very unscientific survey at two national gun forums about the use of muzzle devices.  In states like NJ and CA, brakes and comps are very popular and used far far more frequently than in states like KY, WY and AL, where they are very unpopular because of the obnoxious lateral blast that has caused thousands to loos their hearing Even WITH hearing protection.  I've read stories where RSOs at free state ranges have told shooters with loud brakes to pack up and leave because they were a nuisance.

I will say that I disagree with Scorpio's take on comps, they are VERY useful devices on any rifle, and they make a huge difference if you want to shoot fast off hand. They make no difference on bench guns. 

What the NRA prohibits in the antiquated position shooting game is not something I really care about :)

Comps are also fantastically popular all around the country, which I can prove by browsing any website out there and comparing the number of comps to the number of flashiders available for sale. And shooting with people all over the place too.

I will say that I disagree with Scorpio's take on comps, they are VERY useful devices on any rifle, and they make a huge difference if you want to shoot fast off hand. They make no difference on bench guns. 

What the NRA prohibits in the antiquated position shooting game is not something I really care about :)

Comps are also fantastically popular all around the country, which I can prove by browsing any website out there and comparing the number of comps to the number of flashiders available for sale. And shooting with people all over the place too.

Vlad, most SA rifles sold across America come with a flash hider, usually the A2, as standard equipment.  Naturally the sales of FHs will be well below that of comps and brakes.  Why would someone buy something that already came with their rifle?  That's like saying aluminum mag wheels are fantastically popular because they outsell the OEM steel wheels on cars.  It makes no sense.   Additionally, I will say that shooting fast off hand is prohibited at most ranges except for competitions.

Like I said, for certain competition rifles, a specialized comp or brake tuned to the shooters style makes perfectly good sense.

I do appreciate Vlad's advice. I couldn't agree more.

Scorpio is making a great point, too. But what's the bottomline. Since I somehow stuck in this damn state, and we can't have flash hiders.

I'm trying to find a sweet spot. Useful muzzle device that is not obnoxiously loud and legal in NJ.

If you don't like Vlad's advice, you really wont like mine.  Excluding the Birdcage and 3 prong flash hider, I am not a fan of muzzle devices at all.  I think, for the most part, they are obnoxious ersatz penis extensions used as substitutions for flash hiders.  The widespread proliferation of comps and brakes is a phenomenon seen in states that ban flash hiders.  In every free state the flash hider is the device of choice. 

This is not to say comps and brakes don't have a legitimate useful purpose in life.  I sure as hell would not want to shoot a 50BMG or 300Wby Mag rifle without one.  Additionally, if I was shooting certain types of outdoor competitions ( like 3 gun) I'd probably want one for that specialized purpose also. I also believe that a muzzle device is virtually necessary for SBRs to mitigate the fireball effect. 

If I am not mistaken, I believe the NRA prohibits the use of brakes and comps at their national matches.  I do not compete so I dunno if this is correct but I think it is.  Aside of the prohibition, there is a reason winning competitors in long range competitions use a recess 11 deg target crown.  It works.

About two years ago I did a very unscientific survey at two national gun forums about the use of muzzle devices.  In states like NJ and CA, brakes and comps are very popular and used far far more frequently than in states like KY, WY and AL, where they are very unpopular because of the obnoxious lateral blast that has caused thousands to loos their hearing Even WITH hearing protection.  I've read stories where RSOs at free state ranges have told shooters with loud brakes to pack up and leave because they were a nuisance.

Agreed.  At A2 is probably the hardest to beat muzzle device on an AR-15/M-16 platform.  In fact, Evolution Gun Works makes a good muzzle device based on it: http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=211&pg=1

HOWEVER, my SCAR 17 came with a PWS brake on it.  FNH could've shipped it with the standard 3-prong they use for their MIL contract, but they didn't.

I dunno if this helps at all but I'll tell you what I used on my two MSRs and the reasoning behind it.  My first build was a SPR type.  I wanted long range energy and accuracy.  I went with an 11 deg target crown and a thread protector that recesses (protects) the crown by about 1/4"  on the match grade stainless bbl.  Even a small nick on the crown can ruin a rifles accuracy.  The blow-by gasses can have a very bad effect on the bullets exit if it is not perfectly even.  Also, at 18" most of the powder is burned anyway so flash was not really a big deal.  A TP is  simple, and by engineering standards, the simpler the better.  Last transient points:  The SPR barrel is quite heavy and the muzzle does not rise up much at all, even with three round bursts, the max that my range allows.  As far as I know, there are no brakes/comps that have a target crown.  The trade off between muzzle rise control and projectile exit performance was a no brainer for me

My second MSR is a M4gery.  Originally I wanted a 14.5"bbl and intended to put a Kaw linear comp on it. Not so much for control of muzzle rise but to control the fireball by directing the blast downrange.  I shopped for months looking for a bbl  that matched the specs I wanted but they were very popular and usually sold out before I could snag one.  After months of frustration, a very good deal on a 16" M4 bbl popped up.  The reported accuracy and performance guarantee by the mfg made the deal very attractive, but still I balked, so I did some research and think'n. 

At 16" I no longer needed a muzzle device to bring the oal of the bbl to legal spec.  I did not see any benefit to adding another 2 1/8" to the rifle which would have brought the oal of the bbl to the same length as my SPR.  It would have defeated the purpose of having a smaller more maneuverable rifle.  On top of that, a longer barrel burns more powder inside the bore so that gives a bullet a bit more umph.  It was a trade off, but not really a trade off.  The oal of a 14.5" bbl with a muzzle device is the same as a 16" bbl with a TP.  The 16" bbl gives me more fps and less flash/blast vs a 14.5" bbl.  The 14.5" M4 may have looked (tacti)cooler, but that's about it.

These configurations are what I decided would work best for me.  I can't say if the same will be true for you based on how you will use your rifle, but it at least gives you some food for thought.  There will be benefits, and drawbacks, to just about any configuration.  For me, energy, accuracy and protecting my hearing, and the hearing of my range friends outweighed having a loud muzzle device to control muzzle rise on a caliber that a 12 year old girl scout could manage.

As far as I know, there are no brakes/comps that have a target crown.  The trade off between muzzle rise control and projectile exit performance was a no brainer for me

Comp's don't have crowns, barrels do. Most comps will not in any way change your crown, or touch it or get in the way of it and in fact will protect it a lot better then any other type of protector. 

The only possible downside is that if you purchase a comp with a high pressure chamber, it is very hard to clean the muzzle crown without taking it off and we live in NJ. If you get a comp without a high pressure chamber then it is not an issue, you can still clean it. 

The issue is not that the recoil is punishing but muzzle control. A rifle without a compensator makes it nearly impossible to get those sub  0.2 sec splits and get hits on target at any reasonable distances. 

Comp's don't have crowns, barrels do. Most comps will not in any way change your crown, or touch it or get in the way of it and in fact will protect it a lot better then any other type of protector. 

The only possible downside is that if you purchase a comp with a high pressure chamber, it is very hard to clean the muzzle crown without taking it off and we live in NJ. If you get a comp without a high pressure chamber then it is not an issue, you can still clean it. 

The issue is not that the recoil is punishing but muzzle control. A rifle without a compensator makes it nearly impossible to get those sub  0.2 sec splits and get hits on target at any reasonable distances. 

Vlad, I can tell we are not going to see eye to eye on this subject.  You may very well have some legit reasons for using brakes/comps, and I have recognized the benefits of their use under certain circumstances.  You did however reminded me of one of the reasons I forgot long ago why I did not want to go with a linear comp, they are a PITA to clean.  Unlike some who shoot thousands of rounds between cleanings, I service my firearms after every range session.

If I ever find myself anticipating participation in a live action Call of Duty scenario where I need .2 second splits, you will be the first person I contact to help me pick out the best brake/comp for my rig.  :D  The real world reality I have observed at the range is that 99% of shooters are not going for "splits"  and they usually take 5 to 15 seconds between shots. That is, unless they are mindlessly wasting ammo on mag dumps for a good ol yee haw..  Seriously, next time you go to the range, look to your left, look to your right and then come back and tell me that those casual paced shooters bursting the eardrums of everyone within 20 feet on either side  are benefiting from a brake/comp.