Lambo2936

New shooter; Cheap ammo for target practice?

Hey all. Need some suggestions and websites to look at for cheap ammo; .22LR, .45, .223. Can just pick up 12ga whenever i feel like shooting it at a local store as i don't intend on shooting it much. .22LR is only 7.99 or 8.99 for a pack of 100 locally, so thats not as important, however, the local stores only have small packages of 20rds of .223 and it's .45$ a piece plus tax. I'd like to find a good site and some suggestions as to whats a good basic round for my Sig M400 just to shoot paper or whatever. Willing to buy a box of 1,000$ if it means saving 10+cents a bullet. Same goes for the .45 which is for my Ruger SR1911.

Thanks guys and sorry if this is a repost, i tried using the search function and to be honest it seems to perform terribly on here.

Also, i've noticed that .223 Remanufactured ammo is about 40$ cheaper per case of 1,000; Are there any downsides to reloaded ammo? Is it less reliable? More prone to missfires, jams? I'm not familiar with actually purchasing ammo as my experience as of now only goes as far as renting firearms that come with ammunition.
Thanks!

Personally I try to stay away from remanufactured ammo.  Check SGAmmo.com - they have good deals occasionally on .45 and .223/5.56.  if you buy in bulk and combine shipping you'll save a little bit.

Do you never sleep?! Haha thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, WHY do you stay away from the remanufactured ammo? If the general consensus is to stay away for the extra couple bucks, i'm fine with that, but would like to know why haha.

Also, how about Steel cased ammo? One of the guy's at the local store said there's nothing wrong with steel cased, but the laquer or whatever finish is on them to prevent rusting does make the contact points dirtier, faster, and so you'd have to just clean a bit more often. I've also read about a few horror stories with nonstop jams and misfires with them.

Steel cased ammo is fine but most of the time it is also steel jacketed which will wear out your barrel sooner. If you are not shooting an expensive precision barrel, the cost savings say that you might be able to shoot 10000k rounds or more before the barrel is cooked, but you saved enough money to buy 5 barrels. Yes it can be dirtier, yes sometimes it can not fire or whatever, it is a lower quality ammo so don't expect it to be perfect, it is good for practice. If you want to depend on your ammo with your life, buy higher quality ammo

Stay away from re manufactured ammo, to many of them are not doing proper QC on the brass and I've seen quote a few failed cases from them. I rather should steel case.

You should ask yourself how in to shooting you are and how often you want to go shooting. If you want to shoot a lot and not care about how much every press of the trigger is costing you, you should start thinking about reloading. Being new the thought might intimate you at first but in reality there is nothing to it. 

targetsportsusa, sgammo, the-armory, palmetto state armiory, all places to look for ammo. I believe there is a thread on this board about vendors but it may be dated.  For 223/5.56, look for Wolf Gold, good stuff for the price, for 22LR CCI, Federal Auto Match is available in limited quantities, for 9mm been seein Blazer brass and Speer Lawman at about $10/bx of 50.  Quite a few here use Freedom Munitions either reloads or new.  For 45ACP prices move up and down alot, you need to keep and eye out for really good prices.  

You have a lot on your plate so I would just get used to your new toys and use reliable factory fresh brass cased ammo to get going to make sure everything is in working order and get the feel for things.  Just save your brass if you can, it will come in handy for whatever you decide.  Reloading pistol ammo such as 45ACP and 9mm that use the case mouth for headspacing is easy to reload.  One thing at a time. Follow this board, people posting about deals all the time.  Check out slickguns.com also for postings.

if you do buy remanufactured ammo check out freedommunitions,com

Personally I like the company, and all the effort they put into the shooting sports, and I've met a few of the 3gunners working for them now, but I would NEVER shoot their re-manufactured ammo. I've seen to many problems with it, specially the rifle stuff. Just last weekend I've seen one of their 308 loads have a case web failure, and that is far from the first time I've seen their ammo fail. 

Personally I like the company, and all the effort they put into the shooting sports, and I've met a few of the 3gunners working for them now, but I would NEVER shoot their re-manufactured ammo. I've seen to many problems with it, specially the rifle stuff. Just last weekend I've seen one of their 308 loads have a case web failure, and that is far from the first time I've seen their ammo fail. 

One of the problems with reloaded ammo is where did the brass come from and how many times has it been reloaded.  These are things I can control when i reload, but the way Freedom buys back brass who knows its history. I see people scoff up brass at the range and say this is good for next order at Freedom. How Freedom handles it who knows. To me this is just over my comfort level especially rifle ammo 

Honestly - 500 rounds of ammo isn't a good indicator of the quality from a manufacturer.  Especially when you consider how much ammo they produce.

I've seen on various forums/reddit/etc. about issues with remanufactured ammo.  I had less than stellar results from Freedom Munitions' predecessor USA Ammo - low FPS and very inaccurate... while another user here had rounds keyhole in the target at less than 25 yards.

Honestly - 500 rounds of ammo isn't a good indicator of the quality from a manufacturer.  Especially when you consider how much ammo they produce.

I've seen on various forums/reddit/etc. about issues with remanufactured ammo.  I had less than stellar results from Freedom Munitions' predecessor USA Ammo - low FPS and very inaccurate... while another user here had rounds keyhole in the target at less than 25 yards.

^^^

This

Additionally, I have heard friends talk about bad crimps on reman rifle ammo where the bullet slips into the case.  Not good at all.

Thanks for the info guy's. I Think i'll stick to brand new Wolf Ammo or PMC, which is fairly cheap. I'd rather stick to something reliable until i know what the heck i'm doing, haha.
Now then, what's a "Good" price for ammunition? I found Wolf for something like 32 cents a rd with free shipping, if i'm not mistaken. Is that a good deal? How about .45 ammunition? I believe they were 30 cents a piece. Quantities other than full cases (1,000) were still the same price per round but no free shipping (Shipping was like 18$ for half a case of each). I'd probably get a full case of .223 (1,000) and 500 .45. As for the .22, i paid 8$ i believe it was for 100 rounds of cci in the little plastic hard cases. Can't really compete with that, so i'll just pick it up from the store down the street. On the other hand, i was paying 8.99 for a pack of 20 PMC plus tax and 23.99 for a pack of 50 .45acp cci Blazer Brass. With taxes factored in, both are like 50 cents a round give or take a bit. That's a HUGE difference. My buddy thought i was nuts for wanting to spend all this money up front after buying multiple firearms and now buying tons of ammo, but honestly i already spent tons of money on 200 rds .223, 100 rds .45, two boxes of 12ga and 400 rds of .22, and with those price differences i'd have saved 50$+ ALREADY. That's like Buy two get one free, and for that, yes, i'll spend 500$ on ammo up front and not have to buy any for at least a few months. Plus, if theirs a zombie apocalypse, i'll have a decent qty of ammunition!

Can't really give you any advice on HG ammo but with rifle ammo you would be doing yourself a favor trying out different brands and bullet weights to see what shoots best in your rifle.  You would be surprised to see that brand "A" 5.56 55gr may shoot very differently than brand "B: 5.56 55gr, or that your rifle may love 62gr ammo and hate all but one brand of 55gr 556.  Finding the best ammo for your rifle takes a bit of money and time experimenting.

I have used Freedom Munitions new and reman'd pistol rounds (.45, 38/357).  In my experience, so far, I have yet to have any problems with either. Brass looks brand new on both.

I just placed a new order and will be trying their .223 stuff. I will report back any problems.

S.

If you have not had ammo issues, you have not shot enough. :)

Nothing inherently wrong with reloaded ammo if done right. As vlad mentioned, it comes down to qc and source of brass.

However even winchester white box had issues. A number of years ago a championship shooter jammed his gun while I was running him through a stage shooting factory winchester white box. Turns out, there was no hole in the primer pocket. Complete round was lodged into the barrel of his glock.

Dd, what range does not allow reloads?

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV, the most secure Android device via Tapatalk.

Ended up ordering through SGammo. Price is cheaper than most others but they do charge shipping.. Did the math and ended up being worth it because i ordered half a case of .45 ammo as well. Can't justify spending 300$+ on 1,000 rds of .45 right now, so got 500 .45 and 1500 .223 for now. Should be good for a while. Buddy of mine will be buying some off of me as needed for his rifle as well, so i thought i'd get the extra 500 and just pay the extra 4$ or whatever in shipping now than order 500 more later on, have to pay full (non discounted over 1,000 rds) price, and pay 12$+ shipping.