Sign in to follow this  
varna

Article: concealed carry confusion

There's an article on fox news front page about 2 retired campus police who are being denied carry permits. They say they are retired Leo and permits should be granted.......... welcome to he ordinary citizen in NJ club. Sorry, I have no issues with Leo current or retired but I don't feel bad for them.

For some reason, I can't seem to link article. Maybe someone better at this can.

CARRYING CONFUSION Obscure law denies some ex-cops weapons permit

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/02/08/arcane-nj-law-prevents-retired-cops-from-carrying-concealed-weapon.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No mention of LEOSA. Are they covered under that? Then NJ can fuck off. Why are RLEOS still applying for NJ permits?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I believe in NJ campus fuzz have full police power and their years of service are transferable so I would assume they are covered for LEOSA

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I believe in NJ campus fuzz have full police power and their years of service are transferable so I would assume they are covered for LEOSA

I know that some institutions have two classes of personnel: sworn officers (went through an academy) and guards. Officers have arresting power. Guards say, "Stop, or I'll say stop again!"

I was told by an acquaintance, who's a retired campus officer that he doesn't qualify, even under the federal act that lets retired LEO's carry, because a University police department is not considered to be it's own jurisdiction the way a city, county, or state police department are. Apparently this also applies to the Transit police and park police too, but for some reason not the Port Authority Police, something about them being a bi-state agency. 

I'm current and qualified active military and got laughed at when I tried to apply for mine. What makes them think they're any more special?

While I agree, I don't find comfort in other's being denied. We are all citizens under the constitution and all should have the same rights.

While I agree, I don't find comfort in other's being denied. We are all citizens under the constitution and all should have the same rights.

Also agree.  The problem will never be fixed if we continue to support carve-outs for special groups.  It should be all or nothing.  Once retired they are no different than any other state resident.

Doesn't LEOSA require your department to agree to certify you? Could be something there if so.

LEOSA requires a photo ID from your agency saying you are or retired from that agency. If you are active that's all you need. If you are retired you need a qualification record from your agency or one indicating you have qualified using the standard of any LE agency in your state.

I'm current and qualified active military and got laughed at when I tried to apply for mine. What makes them think they're any more special?Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Military LEOS are covered under LEOSA. There is a DoD directive giving guidelines to follow. I've only seen the Air Force and Army policies. IIRC if you are an active military there is a certification letter that must be signed by your commander. There is also a LEOSA ID card issued by the military. If you're Army Google DA LEOSA Directive date 8 Jan 2015. Go to army.mil/opmg for other details.

I was told by an acquaintance, who's a retired campus officer that he doesn't qualify, even under the federal act that lets retired LEO's carry, because a University police department is not considered to be it's own jurisdiction the way a city, county, or state police department are. Apparently this also applies to the Transit police and park police too, but for some reason not the Port Authority Police, something about them being a bi-state agency.

There is no mention of having to have a specific jurisdiction in LEOSA. It says you have to be a sworn officer and have statutort authority to make arrests. There is a lot of confusion who is and who isn't. For example Federal Correction Officers (BOP) do not have a policy for carrying off duty. However they fit the LEOSA requirement because they have a limited power to arrest escaped inmates. Thats how I understand it

I am a NJ Fire Police Officer where is my permit. I was sworn in as a police officer by my township so I guess I should be covered.

Do you have statutory to make arrests and to carry a firearm? That's how police, investigators, detectives, and federal agents get their authority. None have permits. They don't need them.

LEOSA is a statute gives active and retired LEOs authority to carry a firearm as long as they meet certain criteria.

I'm not saying cops should be the only one allowed to carry. Just saying how they get to do so.

Do you have statutory to make arrests and to carry a firearm? That's how police, investigators, detectives, and federal agents get their authority. None have permits. They don't need them.

LEOSA is a statute gives active and retired LEOs authority to carry a firearm as long as they meet certain criteria.

I'm not saying cops should be the only one allowed to carry. Just saying how they get to do so.

I was kidding. No gun but I can legally direct traffic.