jrfly3006

My first 1911

Well after much online research and many recommendations from friends and forum members,  I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my first 1911. I decided on a Springfield Armory MilSpec 1911. The majority of reviews were good on this gun and most agreed its a great starting point for any future mods I may decide on. I actually like the GI look and may just keep it as is. For me, a US made 1911 was high on the list...not a knock on some of the foreign stuff but more of a personal thing. The price was also a big seller for me, $600 OTD with NICS and transfer. Came in sturdy box with nice accessories ( Holster, Mag Holder, 2 mags, bore brush and extra grips).The finish is great on this gun as is the fit...no frame rattling at all. I will get it to CJ this week to break it in but so far so good. Thanks to Ira at Legend Firearms for the easy transfer.

RxFODI.jpg

Yg8F7u.jpg

znWydJ.jpg

105 years old and still winning new people over everyday.  That my friends is an example of a timeless firearm.  No other IMHO has ever achieved such recognition and accolades.  Congrats, enjoy it in good health.  Still my "go to" handgun most all the time.

Thanks everyone..whats the concensus on extra mags for this gun?..stick with the factory Springers or pony up for Wilson Combat, Tripp or McCormicks?..was thinking about picking up some extra mags..just for range use

I'm a big fan of Mccormick mags but you can't really go wrong with any of the ones you listed.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Well finally got to run her today at CJRPC. I threw 100 rounds of mixed 230gr RN through it (mix of Fed, S&B, Winchester and Fiocchi). After alot of reading online on how to expect some hiccups with new 1911's , especially with mixed ammo, I was ready for any number of malfunctions. After 100 rounds the gun had 0 malfunctions. I've also heard how some base 1911s can be picky with HP's..so I ran 15rds of Win Defender HPs through it..again not a single problem. I used the two included Springfield factory mags and an old checkmate US GI mag I had laying around. All 3 performed fine. To say I had fun is an understatement...I really haven't had this much fun shooting a handgun in a while (mostly Glocks previously). I didn't have access to a rest so accuracy couldn't truly be measured but the pic shows my first few mags..couple of flyers at first but then settled in aiming center of black circle and "A" target in head area (all from about about 10-15yds , max at CJRPC indoor)

20160211_095937.jpg

Trigger had a clean break..didn't get "hammer bite"..as I was warned might happen with US GI grip safety..thumbs safety was positive and not loose..sights might have me left a bit..will confirm when I can bench rest it

All in all very happy with my first 1911. Can actually say it has invigorated my interest in pistol shooting..