PD2K

Arcane NJ law prevents retired cops from carrying concealed weapon

At the risk of getting flamed - screw them.  There should be not special treatment based on their former job.  Let them show justifiable need just like any other screwed citizen in New Jermany.  Maybe then they would help fight against justifiable need BS.  If them then why not retired military who actually get trained on using guns.  While there are many in law enforcement that are excellent marksmen, many suck beyond belief and should not be able to carry a gun.

At the risk of getting flamed - screw them.  There should be not special treatment based on their former job.  Let them show justifiable need just like any other screwed citizen in New Jermany.  Maybe then they would help fight against justifiable need BS.  If them then why not retired military who actually get trained on using guns.  While there are many in law enforcement that are excellent marksmen, many suck beyond belief and should not be able to carry a gun.

100% agree. Nor should they be allowed to carry off duty they should have the exact same rules as an armed guard.

While I'm very supportive of the police aren't they just tregular folks after retirement? If they feel their life as crime fighters exposes them in retirement they'll be able to demonstrate justifiable need, thus getting a permit. Beyond that why would they be more entitled than me or you or anyone else?

I don't agree. I think that at least if someone made his career being a public servant and risking his life to keep me safe, that he should be able to conceal carry. Add to that the fact that there are people that want to harm them for keeping our state safe by taking them off the streets. This is not to say that they have any more of a constitutional right than you or I, just that I want them to be able to carry for their service. And of course I want my constitutional right to be recognized and I want theirs to be recognized too.

I don't agree. I think that at least if someone made his career being a public servant and risking his life to keep me safe, that he should be able to conceal carry. Add to that the fact that there are people that want to harm them for keeping our state safe by taking them off the streets. This is not to say that they have any more of a constitutional right than you or I, just that I want them to be able to carry for their service. And of course I want my constitutional right to be recognized and I want theirs to be recognized too.

im not sure about you, but I've made a career of keeping myself and my family safe. Made friends and enemies thus far.

I never understand this blanket love of law enforcement in NJ when it come to them having a different set of laws carved out "just for them" . The vast majority of the police I know are fine with the gun laws in NJ. When was the last time you saw the police officers society of NJ having a pro gun rally?  

To me its simple, the states position is someone in LE is far more likely to be at greater risk of retribution do to the excessive exposure to the criminal element. CO's come to mind specifically as an example. This is, in the states mind, justifiable need. It is irrelevant that we all agree that justifiable need is wrong. We should all have the ability to protect ourselves. But this does not diminish the greater exposure some LE face. I absolutely agree they should have the right to carry post retirement. I hold no ill will towards former LE that want that right. Us civilians being denied that right is an issue with our government, not LE. The only thing I will say, is that some LE I have had decades of RTKBA discussions with, had their eyes opened wide about the civilian plight on the topic when they retired and started having to jump through some hoops. Particularly ones in NY!!! They tell me now they understand what I have been talking about all these years.

ps. I think many here do not understand just how many LE are on our side. I have seen it first hand in action in all the right places that help our affliction here in NJ. That's not to say we don't all run across some LE that have drank the coolaid admin has fed them about cops and mil being the only ones suitable to own firearms, but beyond those few, I have personally found a TON that truy understand and are on our side and some of them are in position to aid and assist our plight. So be cautious of blanket statements. We need all the allies we can get......

It really doesn't matter.....if you research NJ Gun Case Law back to 2013....Mr. Christie has always agreed with the NJ Courts, after all he's a NJ Lawyer...and "Justifiable Need"...IMO this will only be settled by the US Supreme Court....not here in NJ.

Retired LEO should be able to carry just as We should be able to carry... with that said, they should also be held to the same lawful standard as the rest of us...

If he needs to carry after retirement... he can show justifiable need like the rest of us. This two part system is bullshit and should end, if a cop can't get behind that then he is no friend of ours. PBA cards and shields should also be illegal and seen as the bribery chips that they are.