PD2K

Arcane NJ law prevents retired cops from carrying concealed weapon

Some of the posts herein are....amazing.  Simply amazing.

:scratchhead:

I'd have to look closer at this but I believe that these cops are being denied because they carried guns only under the authority that was granted to the college's chief of security (or provost), from the state. 

They were never considered to be law enforcement officers when off-duty by the state standard.  Even on-duty, they were agents of the college's head of law enforcement - who ironically and in most cases, had zero law enforcement training.

It's a strange circumstance that desperately needs to be restructured.

:yes:

I was wondering how long it would take Fresh Kills to get into the fray.

Sorry dude. There is no reason why any LEO should be given any right above the average citizen. No CCW for We The People should mean no CCW for cops. Active or retired.

i don't care that they're being denied. no offense to our leo's. there's only 1 law, and if it's one way for us, then it's that way for them. if it's 1 way for them, then it needs to be that way for us. it really is that simple.

You realize that's a two way street right?

Except that their side of the street is paved with gold and our is a cobblestone road that you will eventually trip on and break your neck.  I am in agreement with all of the posts in this thread that indicate one law to rule them all.  No more double standards and no more caste systems.  LEO's are not better than regular citizens and regular citizens are not better than LEO's.  Our laws should be for both sets of individuals not a exclusion of the citizens from all of them.

Paved with gold, really? Lets be clear here, federal law is what is providing the right to carry to many retired LE, not state law. But the point is not the have's and the have not's. Its the stupidity of having a poor attitude toward an individual group because they have it better than us based on law they did not create or render judgment on. The stupidity is compounded by alienating this group because there ARE LE on this very site that I know for a fact are in positions to help our cause and continue to influence the powers that be in the right direction. Fundamentally they are on our side and hold our same beliefs. It makes no sense to have any hostility toward a group that is not responsible for the laws that restrict us. Focus that hostility on the politicians and judges that did it to you. The division of pro 2nd factions is what will allow said judges and politicians to keep oppressing you.

I was wondering how long it would take Fresh Kills to get into the fray.

Sorry dude. There is no reason why any LEO should be given any right above the average citizen. No CCW for We The People should mean no CCW for cops. Active or retired.

:facepalm:

Cops already have authority and rights that are legislated by law that are "above the average citizen."

Surely, you'd not be arguing that when some pig drags a crazed rapist off your ass, performs CPR on your father or runs into your burning house to save your kid.

Again, the anti-police sentiment here is abhorrent - especially from a segment of society that constantly claims to support the law at a higher standard than the average citizen.

:FLIPA: all of you cop haters, hypocrites.

Zeke, love yer avatar! But take a re-read of the posts in this thread. I think the hostility is pretty apparent. Its my opinion its simply misplaced. If the state decided tomorrow to actually start issuing CCW to people in wheelchairs, would I start taking a position I don't care at all for this group and they get no sympathy etc etc? No, I would be happy progress is being made and I would still be looking to vote out all politicians that continue to limit law abiding citizens. Keep in mind my personal view is the govt, state or fed, has no right to limit my 2nd amendment as a law abiding citizen. I shouldn't be chased out of the state because the state has decided to encroach on a right they have no business restricting.

Fireman will try and save you and your home/car/ business from burning down.

Ems / doctors/ nurses will try and safe your life do to injury or illness.

Groceries/farmers/ ranchers will try and keep you fed so you don't starve.

Roofers/ builders/ plumbers etc will try and keep habited ( more poetic liscense) so you don't die from exposure.

Police will try to prevent criminal harm from happening to you.

All above are people

Zeke, love yer avatar! But take a re-read of the posts in this thread. I think the hostility is pretty apparent. Its my opinion its simply misplaced. If the state decided tomorrow to actually start issuing CCW to people in wheelchairs, would I start taking a position I don't care at all for this group and they get no sympathy etc etc? No, I would be happy progress is being made and I would still be looking to vote out all politicians that continue to limit law abiding citizens. Keep in mind my personal view is the govt, state or fed, has no right to limit my 2nd amendment as a law abiding citizen. I shouldn't be chased out of the state because the state has decided to encroach on a right they have no business restricting.

It's true we have a few.

You don't have this privilege view in other states. As you said, misguided, but not incorrect.

My people post was directed towards Mipa's wife/ partner

:facepalm:

Cops already have authority and rights that are legislated by law that are "above the average citizen."

Surely, you'd not be arguing that when some pig drags a crazed rapist off your ass, performs CPR on your father or runs into your burning house to save your kid.

Again, the anti-police sentiment here is abhorrent - especially from a segment of society that constantly claims to support the law at a higher standard than the average citizen.

I haven't seen anyone here post anything "anti-cop".......

I haven't seen anyone here post anything "anti-cop".......

I know I didn't say anything adverse to LE's.  Just that they have a golden ticket based on their job.  That's a fact every time I read the following in random places in the NJSA code:

Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet...

g.Exceptions.  (1)  Nothing in subsection a., b., c., d., e., f., j. or k. of this section shall apply to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or except as otherwise provided, to any law enforcement officer while actually on duty or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty, provided that his possession of the prohibited weapon or device has been duly authorized under the applicable laws, regulations or military or law enforcement orders.  Nothing in subsection h. of this section shall apply to any law enforcement officer who is exempted from the provisions of that subsection by the Attorney General.  Nothing in this section shall apply to the possession of any weapon or device by a law enforcement officer who has confiscated, seized or otherwise taken possession of said weapon or device as evidence of the commission of a crime or because he believed it to be possessed illegally by the person from whom it was taken, provided that said law enforcement officer promptly notifies his superiors of his possession of such prohibited weapon or device.

Whole lot of exceptions from the law that should apply to both the LE and citizen but it only applies to the non LE citizens.  This is all over the NJSA code.  I do not blame LE's for any of this I blame the Assembly/Senate/Governors for making us second class citizens.

I know I didn't say anything adverse to LE's. Just that they have a golden ticket based on their job. That's a fact every time I read the following in random places in the NJSA code:

Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet...

g.Exceptions. (1) Nothing in subsection a., b., c., d., e., f., j. or k. of this section shall apply to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or except as otherwise provided, to any law enforcement officer while actually on duty or traveling to or from an authorized place of duty, provided that his possession of the prohibited weapon or device has been duly authorized under the applicable laws, regulations or military or law enforcement orders. Nothing in subsection h. of this section shall apply to any law enforcement officer who is exempted from the provisions of that subsection by the Attorney General. Nothing in this section shall apply to the possession of any weapon or device by a law enforcement officer who has confiscated, seized or otherwise taken possession of said weapon or device as evidence of the commission of a crime or because he believed it to be possessed illegally by the person from whom it was taken, provided that said law enforcement officer promptly notifies his superiors of his possession of such prohibited weapon or device.

Whole lot of exceptions from the law that should apply to both the LE and citizen but it only applies to the non LE citizens. This is all over the NJSA code. I do not blame LE's for any of this I blame the Assembly/Senate/Governors for making us second class citizens.

It's the lobby

Real classy, but not a surprise considering how you've conducted yourself since showing up here.

The majority of people on this board are from from anti-cop. We have a few LEO on this board and their opinions on things are greatly valued by most.

I think it's more of an anti-you. You have a knack of getting people to dislike you. You regularly insult people here for no good reason. You should be banned, not for your opinions, but for your behavior. I have lots of friends who are retired LEO. NJSP, NYPD and one from NYSP and have known plenty others. Some are great guys and some are like you.

Fumanchu, so if a US Marshal is transporting a felon through NJ, they should have to disarm while they pass through? If the Ruskies are landing an invasion in Atlantic City the US Military should get rape whistles? I don't think you understand the fundamentals of NJ law in regards to firearms. All firearms possession in NJ is under the guise of exceptions to the law(Firearms are illegal except by exception). The statute your quoting is to allow for the exception of possession for LE/Mil in accordance with their duties. Keep in mind NJ doesn't really do much for LE and if they could get away with it I am certain NJ would NOT allow CCW even for retired LE!!!! NJ does not want firearm ownership. End of story. Everything we have available to us now is either by federal decision or an unwillingness by the state to risk lots of laws being overturned. This is why the law has a lot of movement in it. The state gets away with whatever it can and the people push back as much as they can.

I understand and I get it. Im just saying be mad at the right people. Our elected officials that have no interest in the will of the people, only their own agenda and the judges that selectively apply the law and ignore what doesn't align with their anti 2a agendas. These are the ones that we need to hold accountable.

I understand and I get it. Im just saying be mad at the right people. Our elected officials that have no interest in the will of the people, only their own agenda and the judges that selectively apply the law and ignore what doesn't align with their anti 2a agendas. These are the ones that we need to hold accountable.

We are on the same page

Fumanchu, so if a US Marshal is transporting a felon through NJ, they should have to disarm while they pass through? If the Ruskies are landing an invasion in Atlantic City the US Military should get rape whistles? I don't think you understand the fundamentals of NJ law in regards to firearms. All firearms possession in NJ is under the guise of exceptions to the law(Firearms are illegal except by exception). The statute your quoting is to allow for the exception of possession for LE/Mil in accordance with their duties. Keep in mind NJ doesn't really do much for LE and if they could get away with it I am certain NJ would NOT allow CCW even for retired LE!!!! NJ does not want firearm ownership. End of story. Everything we have available to us now is either by federal decision or an unwillingness by the state to risk lots of laws being overturned. This is why the law has a lot of movement in it. The state gets away with whatever it can and the people push back as much as they can.

it depends. is that what we ordinary citizens will be told to do? :)