Howard

NJ Arrest for dropping friend off on way home from Range!!!

This was just posted on Facebook by Alexander Roubian who is the President of NJ2AS:

I just got a call from a person who went to the range with his uncle, dropped him off at home, got pulled over while going home, cop asked where he was coming from, he was honest and told the police officer that he went to the range with his uncle and just dropped him off. He was immediately arrested and now facing 7-10 years in prison for dropping his uncle off instead of going directly to and from the range. This is NJ gun laws at work!

If this is true, it's a great example of why you don't volunteer information to the police not relevant to the issue at hand; namely, why he was stopped. In my case it would have been: 

Q1: Where are you coming from?

A: Pennsylvania.

Q2: Where are you going?

A: Home.

Q3: What have you been doing? (Or insert any question #3 you care to dream up; at this point we know we're fishing.)

A: Officer, are you detaining me or am I free to go?

If this is true, it's a great example of why you don't volunteer information to the police not relevant to the issue at hand; namely, why he was stopped. In my case it would have been: 

Q1: Where are you coming from?

A: Pennsylvania.

Q2: Where are you going?

A: Home.

Q3: What have you been doing? (Or insert any question #3 you care to dream up; at this point we know we're fishing.)

A: Officer, are you detaining me or am I free to go?

Good advice about not volunteering info.  But I really want to see further documentation before I believe this.

I just got a call from a person who went to the range with his uncle, dropped him off at home, got pulled over while going home, cop asked where he was coming from

You stopped me to find out where I was coming from?

officer"where are you coming from?"

Am I free to go?

officer"where are you coming from"

I plead the 5th, am I free to go?

Never volunteer anything other than your license, registration or insurance.

Good question. The 16th was a third hand report, you know how that goes. This was from the president of NJ2AS who said the victim called him. I guess we shall see.

He answered because he was scared like 99% of us would be under those circumstances. When was the last time our eminent legal eagles provided a seminar or workshop on what to do when stopped? In my experience never because they don't make money if you're not trapped. 

Still I'd like to see a link to or verification of this event. 

Regardless, the fact that this law even exists is enough to worry about. 

You also have to consider the source and the venue where this information was provided. 

I have a plan to increase adult diaper consumption in New Jersey, and I'll be posting it on FaceBook. As soon as I join fucking FaceBook. 

When was the last time our eminent legal eagles provided a seminar or workshop on what to do when stopped? In my experience never because they don't make money if you're not trapped. 

Evan Nappen's classes explicitly cover this.

Stuff like this shouldn't be posted w/o some sort of facts...just creates unnecessary "hysteria"...leave it there till something more concrete comes out...till then I'm callin Bravo Sierra...sounds like there is a whole lot more to this story, if there is one.  

its-a-jump.jpg?w=250&h=235

Doesn't seem likely, unless there's a lot more to the story. OTOH, as much as non of us wants to be the test case, our best chance is for arrests like this to happen and there being enough "public outrage" that maybe a few of NJ's screwed up laws can be unscrewed.