Howard

NJ Arrest for dropping friend off on way home from Range!!!

we always criticize the antis for the knee jerk reactions, and I thought same as you when I saw Alexander post earlier

Stuff like this shouldn't be posted w/o some sort of facts...just creates unnecessary "hysteria"...leave it there till something more concrete comes out...till then I'm callin Bravo Sierra...sounds like there is a whole lot more to this story, if there is one.  

its-a-jump.jpg?w=250&h=235

Waiting for More details.....  

My question is this....

If you are stopped for a traffic infraction why would the officer ask where you are going or coming from why would that matter? 

I'v been stopped many times in my life and have never been asked where i'm going or asked if i have any weapons in the car.

Maybe i have a friendly face who knows.

Waiting for More details.....  been asked that

My question is this....

If you are stopped for a traffic infraction why would the officer ask where you are going or coming from why would that matter? 

I've been asked that more often than not

I'v been stopped many times in my life and have never been asked where i'm going or asked if i have any weapons in the car.

Listen NJ people are really paranoid in lots of cases....   I was told a few nights ago by a client his friend told him if he ever gets pulled over when he has his firearms in the car to hand the police his license and FID... I just looked at him and said that's the stupidest thing iv heard..

My question is this....

Really?....   hmmm maybe iv been lucky who knows...

My question is this....

What is it the business of the cop where you are going?

Is that even a legitimate question for a traffic ticket?

Really?....   hmmm maybe iv been lucky who knows...

I've been pulled over probably a dozen times, 10 of which were 20+ years ago.   Any time I was pulled over after dark, I was asked "Where are you coming from?".   It's DUI Fishing.  Of course, that was all in Ohio.  The two times I was pulled over in NJ, I was let go with a lecture, but once was at 6am on the way to work and the other at 4 in the afternoon.

I've been pulled over for speeding so they try and make it relevant.

And since I'm sucking to get cut a break I always give them some BS.

But certainly nothing to raise a flag.

"And since I'm sucking to get cut a break I always give them some BS. "

LOL

The last time I was pulled over, not only was I asked where I was going and coming from (it was around midnight-1am, not sure if that contributed), but also if there were any bombs, grenades, or explosives in the car. He asked in a routine sort of way, but I had to muster up an enormous amount of self control to not give a smart ass answer.

The last time I was pulled over, not only was I asked was I asked where I was going and coming from (it was around midnight-1am, not sure if that contributed), but also if there were any bombs, grenades, or explosives in the car. He asked in a routine sort of way, but I had to muster up an enormous amount of self control to not give a smart ass answer.

Thats a tactic used to gauge if someone is hiding something. They ask you if youre hiding over the top stuff, tanks, grenades etc to see your reaction...normal reaction to that sort of stuff would be to almost laugh...no reaction, straight faced can be suspicion.  

Thats a tactic used to gauge if someone is hiding something. They ask you if youre hiding over the top stuff, tanks, grenades etc to see your reaction...normal reaction to that sort of stuff would be to almost laugh...no reaction, straight faced can be suspicion.  

IMO if your pulled over for a red light or speeding that question is irrelevant and should not even be able to be asked.... But thats just me.....

being pulled over should not be a fishing trip.... If there is cause fine.... if there is not fuck that.

Waiting for More details.....  

My question is this....

when i've been stopped, i've been asked that question. once in magnolia at 2am when i was coming home from CAP HQ on mcGuire.........

I have never been asked..... and trust me, as a street racer in my youth.... I have been pulled over

There is way more to this story......

wellll when they catch ya racin', they don't really care i think. i never once was asked when i got caught racing in philly.

The officer needs probable cause to go beyond just asking. Try not to have any empty ammo boxes, targets, etc. in the back seat though. And whatever you say do not lie about anything just refuse to answer  :nono:

Seems like a great class, especially for a beginner. It's priced to perfection, however. 

It was a great class. We got the opportunity to ask anything about NJ laws. Great stuff. He has pretty much seen everything you could imagine in NJ.

This was just posted on Facebook by Alexander Roubian who is the President of NJ2AS:

I just got a call from a person who went to the range with his uncle, dropped him off at home, got pulled over while going home, cop asked where he was coming from, he was honest and told the police officer that he went to the range with his uncle and just dropped him off. He was immediately arrested and now facing 7-10 years in prison for dropping his uncle off instead of going directly to and from the range. This is NJ gun laws at work!

No sale.  Not buying it.

Need more proof other than a FB posting -- and even if an arrest was made, there's likely more to the story.

:keeporder:

IMO if your pulled over for a red light or speeding that question is irrelevant and should not even be able to be asked.... But thats just me.....

being pulled over should not be a fishing trip.... If there is cause fine.... if there is not fuck that.

I got 2 words that contradict that logic: Joel Rifkin

There are many other examples of heinous crimes (sprees) being stopped by routine police work, but that's a local, glaring example.

Fix those "broken windows" and prosecute the rock throwers -- preventing small crimes helps to create an atmosphere of law and order, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening.

Never under-estimate the power of routine police work.

:no:

True or not, what good does a law like this do? How much safer does it make the state? Its harassment! This kinda stuff just pisses me off, and one reason I wont put my NRA sticker on my truck. 

NRA= Probable cause apparently 

This cop could have just told him (if true at all) to go straight home. Have a nice day. Do they get a gold star for being a prick? 

If this is true, it's a great example of why you don't volunteer information to the police not relevant to the issue at hand; namely, why he was stopped. In my case it would have been: 

Q1: Where are you coming from?

A: Pennsylvania.

Q2: Where are you going?

A: Home.

Q3: What have you been doing? (Or insert any question #3 you care to dream up; at this point we know we're fishing.)

A: Officer, are you detaining me or am I free to go?

US Supreme court recently ruled that if you answer questions and then stop cooperating or exercise your Fifth Amendment rights it can contribute to reasonable articulate suspicion and/or probable cause for the cop. If your plan is to evade questions then start by not answering, "How are you today?" or whatever the first question asked is. And silence does not work, you must positively express your right to remain silent/5A/lawyer.

US Supreme court recently ruled that if you answer questions and then stop cooperating or exercise your Fifth Amendment rights it can contribute to reasonable articulate suspicion and/or probable cause for the cop. If your plan is to evade questions then start by not answering, "How are you today?" or whatever the first question asked is. And silence does not work, you must positively express your right to remain silent/5A/lawyer.

I believe I briefly discussed this issue with you before, IMO it appears that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the real-world implications of The Supreme Court's decision in Salinas v. Texas.

For the sake and safety of all users here you, at very least, need to post a disclaimer and in fact state that you are not lawyer and that the above legal advice is your own, unprofessional (and misguided) opinion.

:good:

CNJFO HAS NO OFFICIAL POSITION ON THIS "DEVELOPING" STORY!

We instead seek CONFIRMATION from a reliable source prior to issuing a statement and/or press release.  A phone call from an unnamed party to someone we know is NOT any form of confirmation.  When NJ101.5 or NJ.com publishes a real story, NAMING NAMES, THEN we'll swing into action.  For now, it's as if the Martians have invaded Grovers Mill NJ in West Windsor Twp!

Again?!??!

I KNEW that would get a RISE outta ya Bob!  LOL!  And for the Kids readin' this and scratchin' their heads, we're chattin'-bout Orson Welles' WAR OF THE WORLDS radio broadcast in 1938!