Howard

NJ Arrest for dropping friend off on way home from Range!!!

I KNEW that would get a RISE outta ya Bob!  LOL!  And for the Kids readin' this and scratchin' their heads, we're chattin'-bout Orson Welles' WAR OF THE WORLDS radio broadcast in 1938!

But this time around the Martians will be felled by the Zika virus.

Waiting for More details.....  

My question is this....

If you are stopped for a traffic infraction why would the officer ask where you are going or coming from why would that matter? 

I'v been stopped many times in my life and have never been asked where i'm going or asked if i have any weapons in the car.

Maybe i have a friendly face who knows.

I got stopped for a stupid seatbelt violation last year (I usually have it on, but of course, ONE time.....and in my own town, no less). During the stop, I was asked 2-3 times "Where are you going/where are you heading?"...with more insistence each time (as I essentially ignored the question).   "To work" finally quieted that line of questioning, but yes, they ARE asking, and yes, it IS a fishing expedition for them.

Listen NJ people are really paranoid in lots of cases....   I was told a few nights ago by a client his friend told him if he ever gets pulled over when he has his firearms in the car to hand the police his license and FID... I just looked at him and said that's the stupidest thing iv heard..

Concur.....that is about as stupid as it gets....

The last time I was pulled over, not only was I asked where I was going and coming from (it was around midnight-1am, not sure if that contributed), but also if there were any bombs, grenades, or explosives in the car. He asked in a routine sort of way, but I had to muster up an enormous amount of self control to not give a smart ass answer.

I haven't been asked the weapon question...If I ever am, I am tempted to reply "I am at the wheel of a two ton blunt instrument, and you ask if I have any weapons????"

I KNEW that would get a RISE outta ya Bob! LOL! And for the Kids readin' this and scratchin' their heads, we're chattin'-bout Orson Welles' WAR OF THE WORLDS radio broadcast in 1938!

Always a good listen. Especially driving down a dark highway when it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been stopped many many times by the police when I was younger. Eventually my licenses was suspended due to to many points on my licenses. Almost every time I have been pulled over I am asked where did I come from and where am I going. I just say I am out for a drive. I have never been asked about any weapons at all. Not even when I was rear ended a few weeks ago and had a shotgun in a gun sock in the front passenger area of my jeep. I watched the cop look at the gun but he never even asked about it. I am willing to bet that there is allot more to the story if it really happened

My question is this....

If you are stopped for a traffic infraction why would the officer ask where you are going or coming from why would that matter? 

I'v been stopped many times in my life and have never been asked where i'm going or asked if i have any weapons in the car.

Long before I owned firearms, I've been stopped repeatedly and asked where I was going and where I was coming from. To the point where I'd answer home to both questions and see if they could figure the logic out. I've also had multiple occasions where I have had officers approach the vehicle with guns drawn. All this for little old me who has never been arrested, much less charged with anything, much less convicted of anything, and I didn't even own guns at the time. Vehicle was registered to either myself or my mom depending on how far back you want to pull the sample from, and she is probably even less interesting than me for the purposes of law enforcement. So, no idea why they get a bug up their ass, but they do. 

If you didn't call them, the odds of police talking to you for purposes other than to make your situation worse are essentially zero. 

These days my answer would probably be simply to ask if I am free to go or simply state I'm exercising my right to remain silent and refusing to continue the conversation beyond the legally required identifying documentation since SCOTUS now tells us it's incriminating and probable cause unless we specify that we are remaining silent simply because it is our right to. 

As to the issue of getting arrested for dropping someone off, I'll still put forth the best advice I got form a cop (not on duty). If you don't want to get caught, only break one law at a time. 

When they check your drivers license or name is there anyway they would know you have a FID?   

Yes.  The number on your FID is the same number that is assigned to those incarcerated by the state.  So, if they run a criminal check it comes up.

NJ2AS' website has a mission statement but no goals so I don't know what their goal is but I can't think of how this premature announcement would achieve one. Every action should be tested against the goal before it's done - whatever goal that is.

IMO if your pulled over for a red light or speeding that question is irrelevant and should not even be able to be asked.... But thats just me.....

being pulled over should not be a fishing trip.... If there is cause fine.... if there is not fuck that.

They allow sobriety checkpoints in NJ (unconstitutional IMHO), where they stop everyone on the presumption that they have been drinking.

I am pretty sure anything is legally fair game on a traffic stop--where you are actually pulled over for a legit reason.

I get asked the question more times than not.

My question is this....

I've been pulled over in PA, CT, NJ, RI, VA, MA, MD, DE and have always been asked this question. I've always answered truefully and not had a problem to date. I too have a friendly face and have never had anything to hide. Perhaps the question is an icebreaker to lead a conversation?

I've been pulled over in PA, CT, NJ, RI, VA, MA, MD, DE and have always been asked this question. I've always answered truefully and not had a problem to date. I too have a friendly face and have never had anything to hide. Perhaps the question is an icebreaker to lead a conversation?

I have not yet had the pleasure of being pulled over while transporting firearms to or from the range. I have been pulled over a few times in my 40 years of driving

and was never asked if I was carrying any sort of weapon. I never gave a cop any attitude. They usually ask how are ya doing? Do you know why I pulled you over?

The last time I got pulled over, for speeding 85mph in a 35mph zone "industrial, not residential". The cop walked up and asked "do you know how fast you were going?"

I apologized for speeding and I started laughing, he asked what was so funny? I said "because I am so stupid, and went on to explain that I just went through the car wash

and there was a bead of water on my hood that I was trying to blow off!  The cop laughed and said he had never heard that one before and let me go with a warning.

My question is, had I responded with "I refuse to answer any questions and invoke my 5th Amendment rights". Would we have shared a laugh and I go home with a warning?

Or would I have gotten the speeding ticket for 50 miles over the limit for appearing as a prick to the cop instead of being honest and friendly and walking away?

Is the "never answer a question", thing only appropriate if you have something to hide or are going straight home from the range? If I had used the 5th as my response, I probably

would have gotten a ticket every time I was pulled over as opposed to having never had a ticket in my 40 years of driving by being apologetic and respectful when pulled over.

What it boils down to is, if you have nothing to hide or fear, why invoke the 5th, appear uncooperative and get a ticket when you can drive away unscathed?

Yes.  The number on your FID is the same number that is assigned to those incarcerated by the state.  So, if they run a criminal check it comes up.

The State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number is assigned to any one fingerprinted for any of the multitude of reasons one might be fingerprinted by the State. Not just criminals and people with a FID.

The State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number is assigned to any one fingerprinted for any of the multitude of reasons one might be fingerprinted by the State. Not just criminals and people with a FID.

Including teachers, school bus drivers, etc, etc.

I'm going to say rumor not fact. Answering I plead the 5th probably a bad idea. Where are you coming from has not been asked of me since I was in my 20s. If it did now I would probably say from a job estimate. Definitely would not offer up the range or that there are guns in the vehicle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My question is this....

Not true. They ask all the time, especially at night. They want you to say "just came back from drinking and smoking weed with my buddies at a whore house."

So the consensus is that this story is a fabrication? A Hoboken Miracle? I.e. total bullshit? 

Not that it could never happen. We know the law is on the books and that's bad enough. But did it actually happen?

You guys...have you heard they removed the word gullible from the dictionary?

I'm waiting for Arthur Kill to step up and claim he made this arrest and thanks to his testimony the perp got life without parole, but before sentencing he was eaten by a wild Bengal tiger in Carney's Point. 

Newtonian:

I'm waiting for Arthur Kill to step up and claim he made this arrest and thanks to his testimony the perp got life without parole, but before sentencing he was eaten by a wild Bengal tiger in Carney's Point. 

:laugh:

I was pulled over in PA several years ago.  The officer came up to my window and asked if I knew why he had pulled me over.  I replied that I thought I probably did (I was speeding badly) but that I hoped he wouldn't be offended if I didn't volunteer that information.  He said that was fine, took my documentation back to his car, and returned a few minutes later with a ticket.

He explained that I had been speeding but instead of writing me a speeding ticket that included points, he wrote me a no point ticket for "failing to obey a posted sign".   I shook his hand, thanked him and drove off.  No question that I deserved a ticket.  Even after I refused to answer his question, he still did me a small favor by writing me a no-point ticket and saving me money on insurance.

You can politely, respectfully, not answer questions.

But keep this in mind.  In 2013, the Supreme Court ruled (very badly) that simply being silent is not the same as exercising your right to be silent.  The prosecution, in a criminal case, had told the jury that the defendant had refused to answer questions asked by the police.  The prosecution treated this as evidence of guilt - why would an innocent person not answer?  The defense took the case to the supreme court arguing that you can't use the exercising of a right as evidence of guilt.  Exercising a right can not have a penalty attached to it.   The Supreme Court screwed up badly and ruled that silence is not enough, you must invoke your right to remain silent by saying something like: "I am choosing to exercise my right to remain silent" or it can be used against you.

Not true. They ask all the time, especially at night. They want you to say "just came back from drinking and smoking weed with my buddies at a whore house."

As i said iv never been asked that... But it might be like others said time of night and reason for being stopped.