medved11

Shipping a Rifle Barrel via USPS Priority Mail - Any Issues?

Can anyone tell me if I could run into any issues mailing a used 22" rifle barrel (with no receiver attached or serial number etched) to someone using USPS Priority Mail.

I've looked at all of the the rules that I can find on the USPS website about shipping restrictions and there doesn't seem to be any issue with firearms parts as long as they cannot be reconstructed into a usable weapon. If I read everything correctly, there's no requirement to even declare that the package includes non-controlled parts such as a barrel.

Do I even need to declare what's inside the package since it's not a firearm? I've never actually been asked what's inside of a package other than to state whether it contains anything liquid, fragile, or prohibited (like lithium batteries, gasoline, etc.), which this isn't.

Good to go. If they ask what it is, lie. Although legal, they may give you a hard time.

I'm correct in thinking that a barrel is not a controlled part in any way, correct? 

I've looked at the USPS rules and, if I'm interpreting them correctly, they shouldn't care as long as the barrel isn't attached to a serialized receiver (which it isn't).

Would shipping it two-day Priority Mail make any sort of difference since I'm presuming that it will go by air at some point in order to get to Washington state? I don't see how it could since a barrel is not explosive or hazardous.

I'm probably overthinking too much but I just don't want to screw up.

Machine Parts which is not a lie ..... Nuff Said!

"Precision Machine Parts" was my answer when shipping AR parts including uppers.

For a barrel, I would say "tubular steel piece" or similar.

Agree with PK90 that's it's best not to open the Pandora's box of suspicion by uttering the word "gun", "firearm" or "rifle", no matter what the context, at the post office - at *BEST* you're going to have to explain yourself further.

If what you're shipping is legal to ship and within USPS regulations then you don't owe them any further explanation.

No questions where asked of me by the clerk when I mailed the barrel 2-Day Priority Mail other than the standard "anything liquid, fragile, explosive" question that they make you sign for pretty much every box that you send via USPS.

The barrel (with nothing else attached or included in the package) was wrapped in bubble-wrap and then put into one of those plain white tubular mailers from Staples. 

Following below is a list of the postal rules that I was looking at while trying to figure this all out just in case anyone needs them for future reference:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep344365

http://pe.usps.com/widgets/hyperlinking/highlighted-viewserver.jsp?id=199&title=432%20Mailability&url=56.42.178.30%3A9080%2Ftext%2Fpub52%2Fpub52c4_009.htm&links=FIREARMS%20#hit0

I would just say "machine parts", it's not prohibited and there is no sense stirring up the low information morons.  Because it is used, I will suggest this; Clean it thoroughly and wrap it in an air tight plastic packing material before you box it up.  I may have envisioned this in a dream or maybe it's real but I think the USPS has explosives sniffing equipment.  If the barrel is not squeaky clean it may set of an alarm.  Like I said, can't say for sure but that's what I'd do just to be safe.

I would just say "machine parts", it's not prohibited and there is no sense stirring up the low information morons.  Because it is used, I will suggest this; Clean it thoroughly and wrap it in an air tight plastic packing material before you box it up.  I may have envisioned this in a dream or maybe it's real but I think the USPS has explosives sniffing equipment.  If the barrel is not squeaky clean it may set of an alarm.  Like I said, can't say for sure but that's what I'd do just to be safe.

Pack it in Coffee Grinds LOL

I wish I had though about that before I shipped it - It wasn't "squeaky" clean when I wrapped it up; however, I did run about 3-4 patches soaked in CLP  through it before putting it in the tube for shipping just so that it would be clean for the guy who bought it from me.

It's funny that you say this because I really wasn't feeling questionable about this until after I read the USPS rules, even though it seems pretty clear that mailing a barrel is okay.

I guess I'm just a crochety old bastard.

Is everybody in this state just crazy insecure scared?

And then ask for an opinion on an internet forum?

:girlwah:

It's funny that you say this because I really wasn't feeling questionable about this until after I read the USPS rules, even though it seems pretty clear that mailing a barrel is okay.

My point being... Read the rules and if it's not prohibited JUST DO IT!

No need to bring attention to yourself or anyone else.

Don't think these forums aren't monitored by the liberal morons that would like you to prevent you from doing something harmless and legal.

It's me I guess.  I just try and stay low key. Even (especially) on this forum.

I walked into a post office with my boxed up Garand, told them exactly what was in the box, and shipped it without issue to Shuff's via Priority. He got it this morning.

There wasn't a stock included, since I was getting a new one and didn't want to pay to ship it back, but I followed their regulations because I insured it for $1,200... and if it went MIA, I'm not going to have any issues if I have to make a claim.

I've shipped long guns via UPS several times. I would put them in a hard case and wrap in heavy card board, making my own box. Usually but not always I'm asked what it is and my reply.......... front forks for a dirt bike. I always just get a smile and off it goes. I came up with this idea because when I would send out my suspension to get revalved I would ship them in a hard gun case.

I just checked on the status of the tracking number for my package with the and it's on a truck for delivery today. I know that I didn't really have anything to worry about after having read through all of the USPS rules, but it does seem that people do occasionally run into trouble when sending non-controlled parts (like a barrel) through the mail.

like this guy: 

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/201704-gun-barrel-shipping-via-priority-mail-help-problem.html

I think that's it pretty funny, and indicative of forum SOP, that the OP's original question, asked in the title of the thread, could have just been answered "no" and yet this post is the 24th in the thread. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think that's it pretty funny, and indicative of forum SOP, that the OP's original question, asked in the title of the thread, could have just been answered "no" and yet this post is the 24th in the thread. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That is the exact reason i even clicked on the thread. I'm thinking "I have to see for myself why this thread is so long"......impressive

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Happens way too often around here. 15 different answers at times all saying the same thing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Why didn't you just reply........ wait for it.........no

Agree with all, no issue to mail. Just wanted to share how I shipped a very expensive precision rifle barrel blank. I was worried about it getting damaged and the buyer was on a timeline and trying getting another if something happened would blow that for him. So I took a piece of PVC pipe and bought two rubber plugs and a piece of dowel rod. Removed the hardware from the rubber plugs and skewered the plug and the barrel breach, then at the other end I increased the size of the hole in the rubber plug to go around the barrel. Loaded that into the pipe. Glued threaded ends on each end. Put threaded caps on and put a screw through each end to keep out the pesky peepers. I would say it cost me about 8 or 10 bucks but was worth it for a 1k barrel.

Shane - Good heads up for these guys.

I don't know how many barrels I've shipped in PVC pipe all the ways up to 4" pipe for pump shotgun barrels.  Just pad them inside real good.

The compressive strength of PVC is phenominal.

Now - I've never seen or touched a $1k barrel.  And I thought I had some high end stuff...LOL