Purple Patrick

Painting an ar and I have a few questions

I'm looking to paint my ar with a spray can, duracoat seems to be the best option, any others I should look at?

I'm planning on leaving the whole gun together and spraying everything. Any particular spots I should tape off besides the obvious?

If I paint my irons I'm assuming I should leave the posts taped and unpainted? Can I paint over adjustment screws?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've done a few.  Degrease w. brake cleaner.  Tape up and have fun.

No, it won't last as long as Duracoat or Cerakote, but the cool thing is you can always easily strip it and do it again.

I would honestly be interested in how to easily strip it. I tried with my AK and was not successful.

Rust Oleum camo works good too. Just make sure you let it dry in the sun or heat for awhile. At least 24 hrs. Did mine awhile ago. It was fun.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not going to do the barrel so any tough paint should work and I'm planning on a camo pattern. I love that fishnet pattern, I think I'm going to do a blend of that and leaves.

Hell I might plastidip the whole thing

I want to use the cerebrate spray can but its stupid expensive to do more then one color, and a huge waste because its only good for a day or so when you activate it. Honestly, for a rifle i really don't care if the paint wears down or scratches...

Rust Oleum camo works good too. Just make sure you let it dry in the sun or heat for awhile. At least 24 hrs. Did mine awhile ago. It was fun.

41d9e4fcca316ea91ad00d9425c59907.jpg

What did you use as a template? that came out bitch'n

What did you use as a template? that came out bitch'n

Whelp, you got a choice. Heist a pair of you wife's fishnet pantyhose and risk a beating, OR not worry about feeling weird and buy a pair. Lol ;)

You can get the costume versions online cheap. Got a 2 pack of halloween orange from Amazon. Each leg is good for a paint job. Stick the whole rifle in a leg. Tie off the ends. This helps get different size tapered diamonds. Pull and stretch till your hearts content to vary the size. Dark colors first then lighter colors. I used 3 or 4....

You can get the paint in camo combo packs.

Looks great. I see you painted the sights. .. did you tape parts or just douse the whole thing?

I taped off parts. On the sights, I scraped the paint off the front pin and cleaned out the rear aperture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have cerakoted guns and spray painted guns.. the guns I wanted to "look nice" are cerakoted.. the one I wanted to just brake up the color on is rattle canned.. and its just regular "flat camo paint" from the store nothing special.. honestly held up pretty well... 

nothing special at all.. just made a mess of colors.. and it hides the gun pretty well in the brush.. 

I know Pat pretty well, and he's not huge on sharing his stuff across forums in that manner. You should probably make that a dead link (change the . to the word "dot" will do it ie: www dot Lightfighter dot net) so it doesn't track back here.

Just a suggestion.

Who are you suggesting that to? I didn't see anyone link it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk