njpilot

Holy Sh*t! Scalia Has Died

I am saddened..... not by the death of justice scalia.....I am saddened that so many of you think that the entire fate of our republic rested in the hands of one man.

that is the most frightening thing yet.

Nick, it's not so much "putting the entire fate of the public in the hands of one man", but the loss of a brilliant legal mind whose fidelity to the Constitution was unparalleled. 

Possibly.

Let's hope not. He was definitely cut from a different cloth. If you're someone who believes in the Founders vision for America and the Constitution, today is certainly a sad day.

Exactly!  Justice Scalia, may he rest in peace, made his decisions based on the principles our founding fathers intended when they wrote the Constitution.

The authors of the Constitution had unbelievable foresight and the Constitution, as written, is still appropriate today as is was over 200 years ago.

It is not a living, breathing document that needs reinterpretation as times change! It is a masterpiece that was written with the future in mind. The founding fathers

created a document that is just as appropriate today as it was when penned.

Finding a replacement who holds dear the principles of Scalia will be difficult to say the least! He was truly one of a kind.

Maybe instead if wringing out hands and bemoaning the future, we should all make it out goal to take as many people to the range as possible this year.

Do it without talking about politics, do it without getting into caliber wars, don't bundle it with other causes you might believe in, do it simply to introduce someone new to the joy of shooting.

The future of gun rights does not rest with conservatives, or judges, or "patriots", but with with those who are centrists, leftists, women, and oh yeah the millennials you some of you are disparaging. Way to write off an entire generation, specially one that has more reason then most to feel betrayed by the systems and the political parties and which has grown up with video games full of guns.

How about we each make it a goal to take new people to the range this year, regardless of politics, because I guarantee you that will have more long term effect then all the any internet conspiracy theory bullshit.  Worry about the things you can affect not the things we have no control over, cause guess what: none of us matter or have any control over that level of politics.

But you can introduce someone to firearms in a way in which they don't associate that with crazy righties or abortion or whatever the fuck else

Maybe instead if wringing out hands and bemoaning the future, we should all make it out goal to take as many people to the range as possible this year.

Do it without talking about politics, do it without getting into caliber wars, don't bundle it with other causes you might believe in, do it simply to introduce someone new to the joy of shooting.

The future of gun rights does not rest with conservatives, or judges, or "patriots", but with with those who are centrists, leftists, women, and oh yeah the millennials you some of you are disparaging. Way to write off an entire generation, specially one that has more reason then most to feel betrayed by the systems and the political parties and which has grown up with video games full of guns.

How about we each make it a goal to take new people to the range this year, regardless of politics, because I guarantee you that will have more long term effect then all the any internet conspiracy theory bullshit. Worry about the things you can affect not the things we have no control over, cause guess what: none of us matter or have any control over that level of politics.

But you can introduce someone to firearms in a way in which they don't associate that with crazy righties or abortion or whatever the fuck else

+1 THIS

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Republicans can't block anything. Obama still has another year in office. It's a no brainer he will appoint.

the appointment has to be confirmed by the senate..  since the GOP still holds majority in senate, they can block..  whether or not they do is another matter entirely

I hope if Obama does nominate someone, that it is Eric Holder. He definitely has enough baggage that the Republicans could easily deny the nomination.

NY Times is slobbering at the possibilites...even threw Kamala Harris and Cory Booker as candidates...eesh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It has been reported that the Senate session ends Jan 3rd and Obummer maintains office until the 20th. He can make a recess appointment, but it would only be temporary as the Senate would still need to confirm a nominee. 

He will try a recess appointment sooner than that as the SCOTUS was supposed to rule on a few cases, abortion, EPA and others that Obummer was afraid of losing.

How about we each make it a goal to take new people to the range this year, regardless of politics, because I guarantee you that will have more long term effect then all the any internet conspiracy theory bullshit.  Worry about the things you can affect not the things we have no control over, cause guess what: none of us matter or have any control over that level of politics.

Vlad:

Good recommendation!  I will be doing that with a neighbor and his son in two weeks.

Also, FYI - Justice Anthony Kennedy was nominated by President Ronald Reagan in 1987 after his two previous nominations of Robert Bork and Douglas Ginsburg collapsed. justice Kennedy was confirmed in 1988, which was an election year, when Democrats controlled the Senate....

AVB-AMG

If reasonable politics were still a thing, what would happen is they'd nominate and confirm a replacement for Scalia that was cut of similar cloth in exchange for not blocking a Ginsberg clone do she could retire before the cancer wins.

One can dream.

Has anyone thought how maybe it was a good thing cert was not given to any 2a cases that came up the past year. Since they would likely not be over yet.

I think that is true regardless of Scalia being on the court. I feel like there aren't 5 pro-gun votes left for most of the cases out there. Not on AWB, not on carry, etc. 

The way to change is not through the SC, but through changing how people think about guns and making more gun owners.  Politicians count votes and nothing else.

Many times in history, major shifts or upheavals can be traced back to one defining event. I fear that this might be one such event.

Certainly has the potential. Our country is currently soft, week and gullible after two terms of Obama and the dumbing down of our moral ethics and what we used to stand for. From allowing the thought process to concieve of dangerous pop tarts to handing a billion dollars to a nation for chanting death to America, the fails of this administration has corrupted this nation and is spiraling down. Toss Hillary in as POTUS and 1-2 more constitutionaly corrupt SCOTUS judges, its a recipe for real cival unrest.

Scalia was at one time a supporter of our school, as was I until I learned they had a "gay-straight" alliance club.

Very sad day for me on several levels.

Was learning this a sad day for you because you're gay?  Or because you're straight?  And why sad, I wonder?

Isn't weatherman Al Roker one of Xavier's most renowned alum?

This would suck! He does claim to be a Constitutional Scholar. Who do you all think he would nominate now? Holder? Warren? The current advisor? Kerry? Damn.

None of them are likely.

It's generally a sitting judge from a lower US appeals or a circuit court.  Kind of an unwritten rule - but anything is possible.

:good:

I told you so.

Where are all the idiots that have been saying only liberal justices will be replaced? Because they are 2 or 3 years older?

This is a complete disaster. There will never be another Scalia.

No there never will be on many levels.

My famous "trail of uncertainty": we need the senate to grow a pair and delay this until next year, we need a R to get elected, for him to be sufficiently conservative for the good of the nation but liberal on enough issues to get through the senate, and we need that person not to switch their apparent philosophy after their installation. Here are the odds, in order: 0.3 x 0.3 x 0.7 x 0.7 = 4.5%.

The first event is critical and profoundly affects the second. If the senate successfully stalls that will become Hillary's mantra, which she'll ride to a huge electoral college victory. 

It seems as if you're advocating for the preservation of Second Amendments rights, not only as the basic right of "the people to overthrow a hostile government" as an intended by the framers -- but also as simply as a hobby that is enjoyed by many Americans.

Is it?

If so, it's hard to argue with that logic.

:yes:

There will never be another Scalia.

One can only hope.

:sarcastic:

Arthur, I'm kinda sick of you and your forum icon which is misogynistic and reflects poorly on gun owners, as does most of what comes out of you, and I believe you are an anti-gun troll. As such you are now on my ignore list, for as long as you don't get yourself banned from this place.

Arthur, I'm kinda sick of you and your forum icon which is misogynistic and reflects poorly on gun owners, as does most of what comes out of you, and I believe you are an anti-gun troll. As such you are now on my ignore list, for as long as you don't get yourself banned from this place.

You think Arthur is a dude? Interesting. I always thought the avatar was a self-portraint.