Dr_Rambow

BATFE Registered "Unserviceable", no intention to re-activate

OK, so let me start off by saying that this is not in NJ nor will it ever come to NJ (almost exclusively in PA). I will also state that the weapon (WWI era C&R) in question would be used in conjunction with a historical, educational non-profit organization that has no intention whatsoever with having it re-activated. I don't have the money to buy the thing so I couldn't bring it home if I wanted to!

Now that all of that is out of the way...

Can someone shed some light on what the status of an official BATFE Registered Unserviceable machine gun is? How is its use and transportation regulated, etc? I volunteer at a museum and we have been wanting something like this for a display at the museum and and when we travel. I've read a lot of the legislature and discussion and I feel like I keep getting sent round and round from the full blown live class III discussion to reactivation back to the unserviceable status and can't seem to find answers about when you DON'T want a live machine gun but just a piece of metal to show off.

Is it legally a non-gun; is it just a Class III without a tax stamp, or is it something in between?

Just looking for some clarification.

Thanks!

An unserviceable firearm is defined as one which is incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and which is incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition.

An acceptable method of rendering most firearms unserviceable is to fusion weld the chamber closed and fusion weld the barrel solidly to the frame. Certain unusual firearms require other methods to render the firearms unserviceable.

An unserviceable NFA firearm is still subject to the controls of the NFA, but may be transferred tax free as a curio or ornament.

26 U.S.C. 5845(h) and 5852, 27 CFR 479.11and 479.91

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-unserviceable-firearm

As mentioned above its a fully transferable MG with a special dewat status and needs to be transferred as such. It's got papers and can legally be reactivated so its significantly more valuable than a standard Vickers (or whatever you have) parts kit or dummy gun.

If you're not already a member over at the 1919a4 board you should join. Those guys probably have more information about the use and operation of every machine gun ever built (and they probably own a few examples of whatever you have) than just about any other group of people.

Good luck and post pictures! :)