aeromaks

4 Rules of Firearms Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it; e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.

All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Conspicuously and continuously violated, especially with pistols, Rule II applies whether you are involved in range practice, daily carry, or examination. If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern. This rule applies to fighting as well as to daily handling. If you are not willing to take a human life, do not cover a person with the muzzle. This rule also applies to your own person. Do not allow the muzzle to cover your extremities, e.g. using both hands to reholster the pistol. This practice is unsound, both procedurally and tactically. You may need a free hand for something important. Proper holster design should provide for one-handed holstering, so avoid holsters which collapse after withdrawing the pistol. (Note: It is dangerous to push the muzzle against the inside edge of the holster nearest the body to "open" it since this results in your pointing the pistol at your midsection.) Dry-practice in the home is a worthwhile habit and it will result in more deeply programmed reflexes. Most of the reflexes involved in the Modern Technique do not require that a shot be fired. Particular procedures for dry-firing in the home will be covered later. Let it suffice for now that you do not dry-fire using a "target" that you wish not to see destroyed. (Recall RULE I as well.)

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule III is violated most anytime the uneducated person handles a firearm. Whether on TV, in the theaters, or at the range, people seem fascinated with having their finger on the trigger. Never stand or walk around with your finger on the trigger. It is unprofessional, dangerous, and, perhaps most damaging to the psyche, it is klutzy looking. Never fire a shot unless the sights are superimposed on the target and you have made a conscious decision to fire. Firing an unaligned pistol in a fight gains nothing. If you believe that the defensive pistol is only an intimidation tool - not something to be used - carry blanks, or better yet, reevaluate having one around. If you are going to launch a projectile, it had best be directed purposely. Danger abounds if you allow your finger to dawdle inside the trigger guard. As soon as the sights leave the target, the trigger-finger leaves the trigger and straightens alongside the frame. Since the hand normally prefers to work as a unit - as in grasping - separating the function of the trigger-finger from the rest of the hand takes effort. The five-finger grasp is a deeply programmed reflex. Under sufficient stress, and with the finger already placed on the trigger, an unexpected movement, misstep or surprise could result in a negligent discharge. Speed cannot be gained from such a premature placement of the trigger-finger. Bringing the sights to bear on the target, whether from the holster or the Guard Position, takes more time than that required for moving the trigger finger an inch or so to the trigger.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified. Be aware of your surroundings, whether on the range or in a fight. Do not assume anything. Know what you are doing.

SUMMARY:

Make these rules a part of your character. Never compromise them. Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does. Education can cure this. You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same. Set the example. Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?

Excerpted from: The Modern Technique of the Pistol, by Greg Morrison, Gunsite Press, Paulden, Arizona, ISBN 0-9621342-3-6, Library of Congress Number 91-72644

Thanks to our member eocoolj for providing the link.

I strongly recommend that any new shooter take a basic safety/operations class. The NRA classes are fantastic. My wife and I took a class with Anthony from Gun For Hire in Belleville. It was excellent! He teaches you everything and you get an hour of shooting at the Bullet Hole.

--FCOD

ill check it out. does he go through the laws in this state as well?

Check out http://www.shootnj.com - they are top notch. Classes/Range time are in Yardville/Fort Dix. Most other courses you shoot only .22 but here you get a taste of the different calibers with various firearms, it was a lot of fun.

I have taken the NRA Pistol and Shotgun and soon PPIH, Rifle, and RSO.

spoke with Chet there... he was interested in becoming a sponsor... but alas.... nothing.

Also in the area is Mitch, high calibre firearms training. top notch guy, and a forum sponsor.

Check out http://www.shootnj.com - they are top notch. Classes/Range time are in Yardville/Fort Dix. Most other courses you shoot only .22 but here you get a taste of the different calibers with various firearms, it was a lot of fun.

I have taken the NRA Pistol and Shotgun and soon PPIH, Rifle, and RSO.

I am signed up for their NRA Basic Pistol 2 day course )ct 17-18th.

just bumping this thread, to add my voice to the general reminder of need for safety.

Interestingly, it was exactly the experience of being swept at ranges that led me to look into becoming an instructor and now of course I notice it more. Not that people are malicious or anything, or even deliberately cavalier, it's simply that the majority of people who sweep have I think simply never been told about the key elements of safety.

I would certainly encourage people to get training and the NRA courses are a great place to start. There are two levels of course for Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun: "First Steps" and "Basic". There is a course for AR rifles that is at the "First Steps" level only. Both First Steps and Basic cover the same elements of safety and time on the range. The difference is that "First Steps" is orientated to those who want to bring their own firearm and the course is taught on that only, while "Basic" teaches about many firearms in a particular class, and usually gives range time with several also. So, for example - if you take a First Steps Pistol course with your new Sig239, this is what you'll be taught on and fire, by and large - if you take "Basic Pistol" then you'll learn about revolvers, semi-automatics, single shot, whatever, and may well fire several different types also. In both cases, it's likely, but not definite, that the instructor will let you first shoot a .22, because they are generally easiest to shoot.

The point of both these levels of courses isn't to make you an expert, it's to give you a firm grounding in safety and safe handling, and most of all to give you confidence and enthusiasm to go forward. There are many very experienced instructors around - some at commercial organisations, some at established clubs - I'm not here to advocate for any one or the other. I've taken courses with Anthony at Guns for Hire and Chet at ShootNJ and Joe Westfield in the Phillipsburgh club. I'm very happy with my experiences, but I'm MORE happy with the fact that I took the decision to get the training in the first place.

One final comment - I'd never teach my own children - it's too difficult to get their attention without the usual parent-kid baggage.

Many thanks for listening and Happy (safe!) Shooting

G

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it; e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.

All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Conspicuously and continuously violated, especially with pistols, Rule II applies whether you are involved in range practice, daily carry, or examination. If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern. This rule applies to fighting as well as to daily handling. If you are not willing to take a human life, do not cover a person with the muzzle. This rule also applies to your own person. Do not allow the muzzle to cover your extremities, e.g. using both hands to reholster the pistol. This practice is unsound, both procedurally and tactically. You may need a free hand for something important. Proper holster design should provide for one-handed holstering, so avoid holsters which collapse after withdrawing the pistol. (Note: It is dangerous to push the muzzle against the inside edge of the holster nearest the body to "open" it since this results in your pointing the pistol at your midsection.) Dry-practice in the home is a worthwhile habit and it will result in more deeply programmed reflexes. Most of the reflexes involved in the Modern Technique do not require that a shot be fired. Particular procedures for dry-firing in the home will be covered later. Let it suffice for now that you do not dry-fire using a "target" that you wish not to see destroyed. (Recall RULE I as well.)

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule III is violated most anytime the uneducated person handles a firearm. Whether on TV, in the theaters, or at the range, people seem fascinated with having their finger on the trigger. Never stand or walk around with your finger on the trigger. It is unprofessional, dangerous, and, perhaps most damaging to the psyche, it is klutzy looking. Never fire a shot unless the sights are superimposed on the target and you have made a conscious decision to fire. Firing an unaligned pistol in a fight gains nothing. If you believe that the defensive pistol is only an intimidation tool - not something to be used - carry blanks, or better yet, reevaluate having one around. If you are going to launch a projectile, it had best be directed purposely. Danger abounds if you allow your finger to dawdle inside the trigger guard. As soon as the sights leave the target, the trigger-finger leaves the trigger and straightens alongside the frame. Since the hand normally prefers to work as a unit - as in grasping - separating the function of the trigger-finger from the rest of the hand takes effort. The five-finger grasp is a deeply programmed reflex. Under sufficient stress, and with the finger already placed on the trigger, an unexpected movement, misstep or surprise could result in a negligent discharge. Speed cannot be gained from such a premature placement of the trigger-finger. Bringing the sights to bear on the target, whether from the holster or the Guard Position, takes more time than that required for moving the trigger finger an inch or so to the trigger.

Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified. Be aware of your surroundings, whether on the range or in a fight. Do not assume anything. Know what you are doing.

SUMMARY:

Make these rules a part of your character. Never compromise them. Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does. Education can cure this. You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same. Set the example. Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?

Excerpted from: The Modern Technique of the Pistol, by Greg Morrison, Gunsite Press, Paulden, Arizona, ISBN 0-9621342-3-6, Library of Congress Number 91-72644

Thanks to our member eocoolj for providing the link.

It's much helpful. Thanks and keep sharing.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND IT.

Not sure why that would have been left out. Knowing what's behind your target is more important than being sure of your target. Your target, you can see. You can't always say that for what's beyond/behind it.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEYOND IT.

Not sure why that would have been left out. Knowing what's behind your target is more important than being sure of your target. Your target, you can see. You can't always say that for what's beyond/behind it.

It wasn't left out, no?

The problem with rule number one is that you have to break it regularly, specially if you have to pull the trigger to disassemble the firearm.

If the gun is always loaded and you are in your house, you can never take your Glock apart. If you take the Glock apart, you've violated rule #1. Any law or rule that is commonly broken isn't a good law or rule.

Assume all guns are loaded until you have personally removed/emptied the magazine and examined the chamber to confirm a gun is unloaded. This statement I can get behind.

The problem with rule number one is that you have to break it regularly, specially if you have to pull the trigger to disassemble the firearm.

If the gun is always loaded and you are in your house, you can never take your Glock apart. If you take the Glock apart, you've violated rule #1. Any law or rule that is commonly broken isn't a good law or rule.

Assume all guns are loaded until you have personally removed/emptied the magazine and examined the chamber to confirm a gun is unloaded. This statement I can get behind.

+1 for that as well. Another example of this is dry firing practice at home. Also obviously disassembling and cleaning the weapon. Also at a gun shop If you ask to try the trigger of a firearm you're interested in you must dry fire it If said shop allows it. I guess the importance of safety checking and clearing the firearm before handling outside of a range should be a very valid and important aspect of safety. In addition to the other rules already mentioned.

Sorry, but the three NRA rules are better:

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction

ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot

ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use

G

Your #1 is covered by #2 from the OP

Your #2 is covered by #3

Your #3 is great if the weapon is under your control at all times, if you happen upon a weapon on the ground while walking the trail or it's handed to you by someone else " IT'S LOADED " is the correct reaction as stated by #1 in the OP

And skipping #4 altogether is flat out irresponsible