Where did you buy it?

What company made it?

How much?

http://bulletproofme.com/

If I remember correctly the armor is made by Pro-Max.

I paid $675 delivered for Level IIIA "concealable" with trauma plate and 2 carriers (fabric that surrounds the kevlar sheets), one white, one black.

Level IIIA will stop most handgun caliber bullets. Rifle bullets, however, will zip right through it.

IIIA is about as much protection as you can get and still wear "normal" clothes.

Box of Truth did some "non-standard" penetration testing on IIIA armor:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm

Level_II-IIIA.jpg

When I worked for a police department many moons ago, they switched companies and had a stack of vests laying around that no one wanted. I helped myself to about 10 of them. When I moved last year, I threw them out not realizing how expensive they were going for on ebay!!! :x :x :x

When I worked for a police department many moons ago, they switched companies and had a stack of vests laying around that no one wanted. I helped myself to about 10 of them. When I moved last year, I threw them out not realizing how expensive they were going for on ebay!!! :x :x :x

I'm at a loss for words!!! :cry:

Vests really should be fitted. Buying a small, med, large, etc isn't the way to go. But as stated, they are expensive.

My last vest (tactical style) cost $1400. Let it when I retired. no need for it.

Make no mistake about it.. They are warm in the summer.

Interesting. WE send all of our turned in vests to the guys overseas who use them to cover the floors of their Humvees and trucks as splinter protection from IED's.

So this post is not so much into the legal aspect of it....and it may sound a little mall ninja-ish, but it is a serious question. How many of you have considered, or do wear a light, concealable vest in public? I found out recently that my bank is transferring me to another branch, one that is not in a BAD part of town....but close to it. I am close enough that on the 15th and 30th of the month, I will be busy cashing everyones welfare checks. I am actually considering getting one and wearing it. Again, not to be a mall ninja. Not so I can fight bad guys that come in.....but in case something ACTUALLY happens I want to be protected. Just a thought, and I wanted to know if there are any others out there who thought like me.

So this post is not so much into the legal aspect of it....and it may sound a little mall ninja-ish, but it is a serious question. How many of you have considered, or do wear a light, concealable vest in public? I found out recently that my bank is transferring me to another branch, one that is not in a BAD part of town....but close to it. I am close enough that on the 15th and 30th of the month, I will be busy cashing everyones welfare checks. I am actually considering getting one and wearing it. Again, not to be a mall ninja. Not so I can fight bad guys that come in.....but in case something ACTUALLY happens I want to be protected. Just a thought, and I wanted to know if there are any others out there who thought like me.

I don't see any issue with it.. just know that it is pretty heavy and in a lot of clothing it is still noticeable, depending on what type you get.. you are not "wearing it to be cool" you are wearing it so if some stupid scumbag shoots at you.. you don't die.. lol

you are not "wearing it to be cool" you are wearing it so if some stupid scumbag shoots at you.. you don't die.. lol

Exactly. The combination of working at a bank, in a not so good area, and with where the economy is going.....I am not as concerned with it being heavy as I am it being noticeable and smelling. They do make ones that are concealable, and I have to wear a suit jacket at work....so I am not terribly concerned about it being noticeable. If I wore a light t-shirt under the vest, would that help to keep it from smelling?

I have no interest in wearing body armour, but I would like to return fire if I had too.

Believe me, I would love to as well. But I doubt my job would approve of that even if it did become legal in NJ.

Vital organs.

.50 cal would blow RIGHT THROUGH vital organs....

Exactly. The combination of working at a bank, in a not so good area, and with where the economy is going.....I am not as concerned with it being heavy as I am it being noticeable and smelling. They do make ones that are concealable, and I have to wear a suit jacket at work....so I am not terribly concerned about it being noticeable. If I wore a light t-shirt under the vest, would that help to keep it from smelling?

Believe me, I would love to as well. But I doubt my job would approve of that even if it did become legal in NJ.

.50 cal would blow RIGHT THROUGH vital organs....

you will have to keep it clean.. I am pretty sure that they sell products to help... keep in mind.. you are in an air conditioned building.. so it really shouldnt be that bad..

Few of my cop friends say they wear an under armour shirt under the vest to keep it from getting sweaty and smelly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

you will have to keep it clean.. I am pretty sure that they sell products to help... keep in mind.. you are in an air conditioned building.. so it really shouldnt be that bad..

Yea the temperature normally stays around 70. But when you factor in an under armor or t shirt, vest, button down shirt, and suit jacket....I will probably still sweat a little.

Okay thanks for the suggestions!! I think I will be picking one up soon.