Photo

Pistol Purchase Permit Wait Time

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ben

ben

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

Damn. It's been a couple of months at the least. Still waiting on my purchase permits. Anyone remember it being this long after already holding a FID?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

#2 Gan

Gan
  • LocationPassaic County
  • Home Range:GFH Woodland Park

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

my last time through took close to 10 wks

-Dan

The Constitution does NOT give any rights.  It merely lists SOME of those rights.
NRA Life Member

From a local FFL "WE ARE OPPRESSED STATES FRIENDLY"

W2MC

no accounting for taste....look at steve...he likes YOUR legs

#3 JohnD

JohnD

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

i am in Hamilton my permits took about 4 weeks. that was this past March

if you are an NRA member trying contacting them they may be able to help move things along. When i as waiting for mine i spoke to an NRA recruiter who told me to call him if i didn't get my permit in 30 days and he would call them. but i got it in 28 days so i didn't need to call him

#4 Maciej

Maciej
  • LocationButler, NJ

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

I'm in Butler and it took 3 weeks.

Then again, my best friend who lives in Wallington, didn't get his for 2 months and 3 weeks.

Liberty is the soul's right to breathe,
and when it cannot take a long breath laws
are girded too tight. Without liberty, man is
a syncope.

#5 Urban Grunt

Urban Grunt

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

This is where it gets crazy my FID took 6 months a handgun permit took 5 weeks.

#6 Maciej

Maciej
  • LocationButler, NJ

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

Wow, which town do you live in so that I never move there?

a syncope.

#7 Urban Grunt

Urban Grunt

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

I have no local PD so it's state police, also im not a US citizen so it becomes a little more complicated but not impossible.

#8 Maciej

Maciej
  • LocationButler, NJ

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

I have no local PD so it's state police, also im not a US citizen so it becomes a little more complicated but not impossible.

Ah alright, makes sense.

a syncope.

#9 JohnD

JohnD

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Ah alright, makes sense.

Actually I don't think it matters I believe the law says the state has 30 days to issue the permit or deny it and tell you why it’s denied. For some reason a lot of towns drag their feet, they say “well the background check is not done yet” or “we are waiting on your reference letter” none of this matters. If you wanted to push the issue you would probably win but I would suggest getting advice from the NRA or a lawyer before you make waves with the state police. They are likely just backlogged.

#10 ben

ben

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

Been almost 3 months and just found out that PD's been waiting for questionnaires to be mailed back. My references never even got them.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

#11 GaTz

GaTz

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hey Ben,

That's reeal crappy....I just got mine back..just over 5 weeks from woodbridge...goin to get my new glock 36 this week or next..

Good luck with your references and permits!

#12 Ruger11

Ruger11

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

5 months for Bloomfield.After 4 months l went down there and told them,this is wrong it's been 4 months,2 days later they called my 2 referals, couple weeks later l got them.

#13 Chad

Chad

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

The 30 day law is really not observed anymore. Its been compared on here before to some silly laws like you cannot walk down main street on wednesdays wearing a black shirt and eating ice cream at the same time.

It is funny how all other gun related laws must be followed to a T for the public, but when it comes to a law in our favor it is not observed. :roll:
33 East Car Wash
Code 3 Photography <----- Most Recent Album Posted - 2.24.2010

#14 Maksim

Maksim
  • LocationEast Windsor, NJ
  • Home Range:CJRPC Ask me to check it out.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

The 30 day law is really not observed anymore. Its been compared on here before to some silly laws like you cannot walk down main street on wednesdays wearing a black shirt and eating ice cream at the same time.

It is funny how all other gun related laws must be followed to a T for the public, but when it comes to a law in our favor it is not observed. :roll:

with the new requirements.... fbi checks, backgrounds, refrences, and to top it all off 1 officer typically is responsible for all of the permits and FId....... and oh yeah, they typically have other stuff to do... like investigate crimes and stuff.

it does suck though. I mean you can sue the town by all means, and you will win the legal battle.... but is it worth it? the 30 day thing is highly difficult to observe.

its like if you own a business to repair widgets... and you promise 24 hour return time.... you are the only employee, and all of the sudden you get a surge of repairs.

I really do understand it from both sides.

#15 Gan

Gan
  • LocationPassaic County

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

I understand the delay - however, I know that if one guy were to sue a town and win a big money settlement than other towns, fearing the same, would suddenly be turning these things around in 29 days...

-Dan

The Constitution does NOT give any rights.  It merely lists SOME of those rights.
NRA Life Member

W2MC

#16 waif69

waif69

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

The response time can vary significantly. The first time I put my paperwork in, it took three months and the second time it took exactly 21 days.
Just because something is a good idea, doesn't mean it should be a law.

#17 JohnD

JohnD

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:18 AM

with the new requirements.... fbi checks, backgrounds, refrences, and to top it all off 1 officer typically is responsible for all of the permits and FId....... and oh yeah, they typically have other stuff to do... like investigate crimes and stuff.

it does suck though. I mean you can sue the town by all means, and you will win the legal battle.... but is it worth it? the 30 day thing is highly difficult to observe.

its like if you own a business to repair widgets... and you promise 24 hour return time.... you are the only employee, and all of the sudden you get a surge of repairs.

Just because they have other stuff to do is not my problem. Cops never seem to care that I have other stuff to do when I am running late and drive a little too fast. Or when I don’t come to a complete stop at a stop sign when there are no other cars on the road. I don't get a pass just because I’m busy. Why is it ok for them? They made the process what it is and we are supposed to understand that they are busy. Where I work if something is required by law to be done, it gets done or we pay the penalty. I guess they are above the law in this case. I think everyone understands that mistakes happen but when it takes 5 or 6 times longer them the law allows and they don’t even notify you as to the status, then if you call and ask you get a condescending attitude form them instead of an apology for the delay. That should be considered negligence.

#18 Melgamatic

Melgamatic
  • Home Range:MCR&PC and GunForHire

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

36 days in Fanwood, including one of my references taking over a week because he didn't realize I was waiting.

Benefactor NRA Life Member | NJ2AS | ANJRPC | MCRPC

#19 67gtonut

67gtonut
  • LocationRockaway, NJ
  • Home Range:RTSP

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Rockaway Twp.

Got letter today.... 4 permits waiting for me......

10days 8-) I had to wait.....

Troy

Instructor RTSP - Randolph, NJ

remixer

Fuck yall. Brian was fun last night. My ass is killing me

#20 Dblaze

Dblaze

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

Mine took about 90 days in Delran...Let us know how it turns out!
-Smith & Wesson M&P 40c
-Taurus PT-709
-Mossberg Maverick HD

#21 Cemeterys Gun Blob

Cemeterys Gun Blob
  • LocationBig Sky Country

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

4 days in Jersey City. 8-)

Yet, our Police Chief says crazy things about guns. :?:
TWITTER: @cemeterygunblob

MEMBER: LIFE ANJRPC, LIFE NRA, LIFE 2AF, NJ2AS

#22 simmons777

simmons777

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

One week at my local PD.

#23 remthewanderer

remthewanderer

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

audubon NJ seemed to come in exactly 30 days after applying. I just submitted paperwork for 2 more permits yesterday. that should make them arrive sept 10th at the latest. We will wait and see...
Have
-------
Glock19, Glock26, Ruger MkIII bull barrel with crimson trace laser grips

Want
--------
Browning hi power, Ruger LCR w/ crimson trace grips or XS BIg Dot sights

#24 Maksim

Maksim
  • LocationEast Windsor, NJ
  • Home Range:CJRPC Ask me to check it out.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Just because they have other stuff to do is not my problem. Cops never seem to care that I have other stuff to do when I am running late and drive a little too fast. Or when I don’t come to a complete stop at a stop sign when there are no other cars on the road. I don't get a pass just because I’m busy. Why is it ok for them? They made the process what it is and we are supposed to understand that they are busy. Where I work if something is required by law to be done, it gets done or we pay the penalty. I guess they are above the law in this case. I think everyone understands that mistakes happen but when it takes 5 or 6 times longer them the law allows and they don’t even notify you as to the status, then if you call and ask you get a condescending attitude form them instead of an apology for the delay. That should be considered negligence.

Because the officer who just pulled you over for speeding is not the same guy doing the FID's. I know I was spared quite a few tickets once pulled over. And heck... any time you are driving over the posted speed limit, which for most is every day, you are breaking the law. that is the bottom line. Getting pulled over and paying fines, vs getting your FID issues is two different things.

And if cops never give you a break.... ever ever... perhaps there is something beyond that.... either extremely bad luck or attitude. Play nice, realize that these are just people, and you can get things going your way. Just like getting permits issued in 12 days. But the moment someone comes to you and starts telling you how to do their job... are you really going to feel more motivated to do it?

Cops and detectives are just that, law enforcement. They dont write laws.

the bottom line is, yes, they are by law supposed to issue you your Firearms ID within 30 days. due to circumstances, cut budgets, etc, it is much more difficult to do for them. Yes, they are breaking the law..... what you can do is Sue the town... and odds are, you will win. The question is... at the end of the day, do you want to be known as that guy?

That guy being portrayed in the media as... "the one that sued the town because he didnt get his gun permit within 30 days, and forced the town to take detectives away from investigations of crimes, to issue the guy his permits." and honestly, by that point you would have a cop following you 24/7 just to issue you tickets for moving violations enforcing every law on the book.

some of these towns have backlogs of thousands of apps. up to 3 months in some towns is quite reasonable. but with proper planning, applying for FID earlier, and applying for as many pistol permits as you can, will save you quite a bit of time. Once you have it... unless you move, you are done.

#25 shooter99

shooter99

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I think the law requires a seven (7) day minium and a thirty (30) day maximim for pistol permits to be issued or denied.

#26 verysimple

verysimple
  • Home Range:Ringwood

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

waiting 3 months and counting.. getting a bunch of run arounds from local PD.. one detective pointing to other and other says he is no longer doing handgun permits.. Time to write a captain or how should I escalate the request?

#27 Gan

Gan
  • LocationPassaic County

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

waiting 3 months and counting.. getting a bunch of run arounds from local PD.. one detective pointing to other and other says he is no longer doing handgun permits.. Time to write a captain or how should I escalate the request?

Write your mayor.

-Dan

NRA Life Member

W2MC

#28 RubberBullets

RubberBullets
  • Home Range:Free Agent

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

I think the law requires a seven (7) day minium and a thirty (30) day maximim for pistol permits to be issued or denied.

One does not simply wake up a 4 year old thread.

:D

LoL @ this guy

"It's not a "Weapons System", It's an AR15 with some accessories thrown on it."

"If you must resort to name calling while arguing your point, you have already lost the debate."

#29 BrianN

BrianN
  • LocationEssex County NJ

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

put in for  pistol permit last week in Nutley.  Was told it would take 2-3 months, be patient, don't call us we'll call you, blah blah blah

#30 KevD

KevD
  • LocationNewark, Essex County
  • Home Range:GunForHireRange WoodlandPark

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

One does not simply wake up a 4 year old thread.

:D

Lol right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users