The C&R is a Federal License, so as far as we know, yes you can get a C&R in NJ.

However, NJ State Laws are WAY more restrictive than the Feds.

So basically, any guns you buy from out of state will have to go through an FFL anyways, and you will still need pistol purchase permits for any handguns you would like to buy.. even if they are 50 years old.

It is not worth the hassle and the possible yearly inspection to get a C&R in NJ. So for all practical purposes, the C&R is useless.

i had one from 1972 - 2001 - not worth the hassle you will get from from firearms gestapo at n.j. police firearms unit - with license you still must conform with all n.j. state laws -

Thanks----It's about what I had figured. I think Trenton & our State Police could use a good high colonic. I remember as a young boy about 12 walking down the street .22 in hand and the cops just waving hello. In the ensuing 40+ years I have gone from a responsible person to just shy of a criminal, though not having a record or having been arrested.

If you have a C&R in NJ and you buy a gun with it the state police will lock you up!

I almost went through it I filed for the C&R the ATF was coming to give it to me then I found out we cant have it here fed's didnt even know it .

The feds where told by the state police "if he has it he will be locked up!"

I never signed for it but I still had to sign papers stating I didnt want the License.

The ATF people couldnt have been a nicer bunch very freindly I sat with one agent in my house two times and we just talked ,,, I offten wonder if thats why all my NIC's clear super fast

I know a few NJ residents who have the license. No NICS on C&R guns. Discounts from Wholesalers. The rest is the same.

So, if you buy a lot of old stuff, it could be worth it?

My usual guy charges $30 plus the $16 for NICS.

So, technically, if you disregard all the stuff about the possible inspections, the C&R could pay for itself in three guns.

So after 3 guns, your not giving money to the state which you normally would have.. :?

Kind of a round about way to protest..

Let's all go out and get C&R's and 4 guns.. lol

A little context for us newbies (I had no idea WTF a "C&R" was until I googled it):

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

The FFL 03 C&R, or Curios and Relics is, simply put, using the words of my wife, a neutered FFL 01 license. The C&R allows you to purchase eligible firearms across state lines, transfer eligible weapons between licensed people, and order eligible weapons through the mail (UPS or FedEx). It is NOT a business license; it is purely for your own collecting activities. You have to be careful about that. Yes, you can sell a C&R acquired eligible firearm, but you cannot do it for your

The ATF agent that was at my house told me .

Send Evan Nappen a email see what he say's.

I had one of his books and it said "if you have a C&R in NJ contact a Lawyer"

http://www.efnappen.com/contact-us.html

and do a google on c&r firearms license in nj

Of COURSE Evan's book says this...HE WAS the pereminent Firearms Lawyer in NJ :lol:

There are still advantages to having the C&R, mainly the discounts you get from Brownelles and Midway, on the downside any firearms still have to go through an 10 FFL, and handfuns still need to be permitted..the other downside, is that if you owned any firearms that qualified as a C&R Before you got your license, Thhose still have to be entered into your Bound book, just as if you had purchased them under the c&r

The ATF agent that was at my house told me .

I would say that the agent should learn the law. You don't get "locked up" for obtaining a legal license. You do if you violate the state's laws. Simple possession of a C&R in the state is not a violation. It is however of limited value.

If you have it and buy a gun with it then you will have problems .

She was repeating what she was told by the SP .

They told her " if he has it he would be locked up" .

How ever you look at it I felt it wasnt worth the problems

If you think I'm BSing sorry I went through it