Ray Ray

Lasik anyone?

I'm seeing Dr. Deleruso (the one you here about on Howard Stern) on Friday about getting lasik. My eyesight is pretty bad without corrective lenses and I've been wanting to look into this for a while. Anyone here got it down or is thinking about it? I know the price has gone down but it's still a few grand. But to see without glasses would be amazing.

I know two folks who got it.

One wishes he didn't the other needs to go get a "touch up" after about 7-8 years.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are 37--43ish and your vision hasn't changed yet, it's not a good time to get it done.

The other thing is pupil size. If you have large pupils, don't do it.

Anecdotally, I've heard people on radio and tv claim how great it is.

The guy who wished he hadn't done it claims the night time glare is pretty bad. I'd love to do it, but one of my jobs is a programmer and while no one wants to degrade his/her vision, if I can't sit at a computer 18 hours a day, I'll be unable to work so I'll just live with this stupid headware.

My biggest advice is opinions. Get atleast two. You also might want to check out Dr Cary Silverman. I believe he is in glen rock. He did surgery on my mothers eye's after another doctor fubared them up and now she has no problems seeing anymore. Her's wasn't exactly lasik but it was close enough to be so you get the point.

Now pertaining to me, I had an appointment with Silverman went through all the hoo ha to get my eyes checked out and he just turns to me and goes I don't want you to leave here and make another appointment elsewhere or get a second opinion. Anyone who tells you they can do lasik on your eyes is out of their mind. Apparently my eyes are REALLY bad. One eye comes to a point and he said he'd never be able to flatten it with the laser and if he tried it'd probably make me blind. And the other eye I believe the cornea or whatever is called is so thin that if he hit it with a laser I'd be blind too. YAY for me.

But I will say this, after all that he recommened hard contacts to me and holy cow what a difference. I am still trying to get use to the hard contacts and I think I need to go back for another fitting. But in my bad eye which is my left eye, I went from 20/200 vision to 20/40. So although you still need to pop in a contact if your looking for a better quality of eye sight, you might want to also look into a hard contact instead.

If you hate wearing glasses or putting in contacts day after day AND if you are over 40, do it. However, you will need reading glasses within 5 years thereafter, (you'll need them anyway) and eventually glasses all the time. IMO, it is not a permanent solution.

In my experience, lights at night will look like stars from a distance then develop halos after years. This is because the pupils dilate at night bringing the edge closer to the cut which distorts the vision. Of course I was done almost 10 years ago. One eye now has gone closer to "near sighted" and the other closer to "far sighted".

I went from 20/400 vision to 20/15 within a week. What a great experience. It has eventually gone to 20/30 or thereabouts.

I suggest reading all you can regarding the surgery and make your own choice based on other's experiences. As far as choosing a doctor, seek a second and third opinion. I decided against one based on the doctor's attitude.

Good luck.

I have heard both good and bad. I already experience night flares (stars and halos) and have since I was a small child. As such, I am probably NOT a good candidate though at least one eye dr has told me I'm a good candidate.

I have worn glasses since 6 yrs old and I have worn soft contacts for almost a quarter century. My scrip is bad, in the minus 7 to 8 range. The horror stories about laser vision correction make me want to run the other way. Blind and correctable versus blind and uncorrectable because somebody FUBAR'd your eyes - the decision is pretty clear.

I've been debating this for some time as well. My buddy had it done 2 years ago, and everywhere he goes he needs a bottle of eye drops. Apparently he's part of the 4% (or whatever it actually is) that has a bad case of dry eyes as a side effect. Every 2 hours or so he has to but drops in.

That is what deters me, because with my luck I'll end up in the same percentage as him 8-)

Ok. Keep in mind that after the procedure you might still need corrective eyewear. Also If you have been going to the eye dr every year for exams has your prescription changed. You really want to have no change in your eyes for 3 yrs before considering sugery. Do you have an astigmatism? I know that say they have procedures for this but, I am still out when it comes to a whole hearted yes. You might develope anhydrosis (dry eye). Also the Halo effect is more prevalant that they say. My brother had the procedure and he loves it however he also refused to were glasses at all exept when behild the wheel of a car so I guess anything is better than what he had. BE VERY CAREFUL see accouple of Drs. Other side effects no matter how rare are blindless and worse vision. Remember I am not a eye dr but I have played one on TV.

Ok. Keep in mind that after the procedure you might still need corrective eyewear. Also If you have been going to the eye dr every year for exams has your prescription changed. You really want to have no change in your eyes for 3 yrs before considering sugery. Do you have an astigmatism? I know that say they have procedures for this but, I am still out when it comes to a whole hearted yes. You might develope anhydrosis (dry eye). Also the Halo effect is more prevalant that they say. My brother had the procedure and he loves it however he also refused to were glasses at all exept when behild the wheel of a car so I guess anything is better than what he had. BE VERY CAREFUL see accouple of Drs. Other side effects no matter how rare are blindless and worse vision. Remember I am not a eye dr but I have played one on TV.

where did you play an eye doc on tv?

I had it done about 5 years ago. Went from vision in the 2200 range to 20/40 which I was not happy with. They did a revision about 30 days later (lifted the corneal flap and re-zapped) and I ended up with 20/15 vision. Now it's 20/20 5 years later. I love it. Need reading glasses now. They say if you're over 40 and have it done, you usually need reading glasses afterwards as was my case. I am 47, so I was probably due anyway.

As other posters have said, there can be side-effects. Make sure you get at least 2 opinions that you are a good candidate. Light color eyes and thin corneas can have the problems. I'm actually getting checked by me Eye Doc today. I have had no problems. Do your research and ask questions.

PS Just think of all the cool sunglasses you can buy. But don't use that as your justification. I used Daniel Goldberg, M. D. in Little Silver. He's one of the best in NJ. Good Luck.

I've had PRK surgery, compliments of the United States Naval Hospital. PRK allows the lens to heal completely, while LASIK leaves the risk of the lens becoming dislodged under extreme circumstances. Either way, results are the same, 20/10 -20/20 vision. I myself have 20/15 vision. Who says government run healthcare doesn't work? :D

This is crazy. I recently (6 months ago) applied for the US Border Patrol. I passed the initial test, physical and oral board. Not to be arrogant but I scored very high on the initial test and did very well on the oral board. I passed the physical but when they checked my uncorrected vision, it was so bad (20/800), that they said I don't meet their expectations. I asked them if Lasik or hard contacts would help and they initially said yes. So I set up the appointment immediatly. The Border Patrol then called me back soon after and said even if I get the surgery, I still don't qualify. The only thing I can do is file waiver for medical. They also said that if I want to reaply after the surgery, that my original test scores would carry over. I'm still going to get the free consultation with Dr. Delaruso, but me and the misses don't know what to do.

This is crazy. I recently (6 months ago) applied for the US Border Patrol. I passed the initial test, physical and oral board. Not to be arrogant but I scored very high on the initial test and did very well on the oral board. I passed the physical but when they checked my uncorrected vision, it was so bad (20/800), that they said I don't meet their expectations. I asked them if Lasik or hard contacts would help and they initially said yes. So I set up the appointment immediatly. The Border Patrol then called me back soon after and said even if I get the surgery, I still don't qualify. The only thing I can do is file waiver for medical. They also said that if I want to reaply after the surgery, that my original test scores would carry over. I'm still going to get the free consultation with Dr. Delaruso, but me and the misses don't know what to do.

Ray Ray,

Get the PRK, over LASIK, if you can. The military used to disqualify potential flight school candidates because of corrective eye surgery, but later allowed those with PRK to attend. Border Patrol may have a different opinion if you get the PRK surgery.

Well, I just returned from Dr. Dello Russo's Bergenfield office and we are contimplating this. I'm going to set up another appointment and get a second opinion locally (Dr. Benedetto). 3800 bucks is alot of money but to see without glasses would be amazing.

Well, I just returned from Dr. Dello Russo's Bergenfield office and we are contimplating this. I'm going to set up another appointment and get a second opinion locally (Dr. Benedetto). 3800 bucks is alot of money but to see without glasses would be amazing.

My wife had astigmatism, three years ago she decided to have the surgery, today she don

I've heard alot about dry eyes, bad night vision, floaters, and needing another surgery down the road. But I'm still not convinced this is what I want to do. I mean, I see better than 20/20 with corrective lenses. Do I want to go and mess it up for a chance to see without glasses? I don't know, but if it helps my career, then I might go for it.

Super Bump!

Thought I'd update this thread since it's really a big deal to me. I'm going under the knife this Friday in Bergenfield. Dr. Dello Russo is performing the surgery and my old man is driving me home. Wish me luck! Maybe this will help me out on Sunday the 13th in Cherry Ridge. ;) Even though I don't need it.

Ray I wish you luck.

Since you asked for opinins I would not in a million years have surgery on my eyes that is not necessary, It is just a phobia I have, I like being able to see. I do not think Lasik has been proven over the long hall to be safe 40/50 yrs from now. And the low % that has immediate problems is not worth the risk to me.

Since you asked for opinins I would not in a million years have surgery on my eyes that is not necessary, It is just a phobia I have, I like being able to see. I do not think Lasik has been proven over the long hall to be safe 40/50 yrs from now. And the low % that has immediate problems is not worth the risk to me.

AGREED100%!!!!!!!

I went to a RK surgery seminar back in 88 or 89. The Doc was one of the best around and he was enthusiastic about the procedure. I AM SO F*CKING GLAD that I didn't fall for it back then.

The wife had it (Lasik) about five years ago. It was done by a very skilled doc out of Philly. She couldn't be happier. Her old man had it done by a "buy one get one free guy". He went back no less then five times for "adjustments".

So yeah, good luck with that. :mrgreen:

AGREED100%!!!!!!!

I went to a RK surgery seminar back in 88 or 89. The Doc was one of the best around and he was enthusiastic about the procedure. I AM SO F*CKING GLAD that I didn't fall for it back then.

The wife had it (Lasik) about five years ago. It was done by a very skilled doc out of Philly. She couldn't be happier. Her old man had it done by a "buy one get one free guy". He went back no less then five times for "adjustments".

So yeah, good luck with that. :mrgreen:

Agreed!I am practicallyblind without my contacts and looked into Lasik. Being a pilot and needing my eyesight, I decidedit wasn't worth the risk. A friend had it done, one eye was good, the other blurry. Went back for an adjustment, still blurry. He just lives with it and fortunatelly he can, I couldn't. Could you?

Good luck.

Regis Philbin (yeah, the guy on that morning show) had his done by some top notch DR. in NY last year. Made a big fuss about it before the surgery. End result was one good, the other blurry. I figure I have been wearing glasses for the past 50 years, no sense messing with that at my age but for you younger guys, maybe it is just the ticket.

The funny thing about any surgeries/procedures is as soon as you mention it, everybody knows someone that had it done with bad results, but there are always thousands who have had them with perfect results too, you just don't get that feedback. I am sure you will be successful, the odds are in your favor. Good luck on Friday!

Thanks XDJohn, that's how I feel. This doctor and his family have been doing these surgery's for a while and everyone I've talked to that's had it done suggests I should do it. It should be noted that I'm pursuing a career in either law enforcement or fire department and my eyes aren't good enough to pass eithers' test.

One final thought...

Besides pupil size, did they measure your corneal thickness?

I've got THICK corneas(both over 600 microns) which would make me less likely to have complications. This came up because i've always had high interocular pressure. Early on they thought I was at risk for glaucoma but it turns out I've just got corneas like 1/8inch plexiglass.

If you're under 525 microns my understanding is that you shouldn't get lasik.

There are eye procedures that are given the OK by the DOD (which allows for it to be paid with government money). I know a couple guys who got it done, and I was offered the procedure too. I opted to not do it because I'm not a big believer in messing with what is. However, for everyone else they were fine (just a couple days of having to wear sunglasses at all times was the worse somebody had it).

It's funny how the procedure takes less than a minute but it changes your life forever. Like without glasses would be wierd for a while. Getting closer to Friday, and I'm not as nervous as I was when I first said yes.