If I go to a gunshow in a state where private sales are allowed. Is it possible to purchase a handgun and bring back to NJ as long as I don't transfer it to another individual or am I now a straw purchaser. Also what about long guns?

I think I may be answering my own question but I'm guessing the private party would have to contact an NJ ffl and transfer it to me through them?

private party is only within state. Seller is supposed to confirm your identity with an in state id. Out of state has to go through FFL.

You can however buy from out of state dealer (FFL) as long as it is a long rifle with nj cert of elig.

Maksim.

Would you not have to have the rifle shipped to a FFL in New Jersey?

Or if the seller is willing you can have it shipped direct to you as long as it has the NJ Compliance Certificate?

Tony

You can however buy from out of state dealer (FFL) as long as it is a long rifle with nj cert of elig.

Maksim.

Or if the seller is willing you can have it shipped direct to you as long as it has the NJ Compliance Certificate?

Tony

You can buy a nj-compliant rifle from an out of state FFL Dealer and take it home with you. The dealer and yourself will have to fill out the NJ State certificate of eligibility.

If you are buying the gun from out of state, and are having it shipped to a dealer in NJ, the NJ based FFL and you will fill out the certificate of eligibility, along with the federal form, and he will do the NIC's background call.

At that point, the seller only has to include some form of ID (so the FFL knows who he is receiving the gun from) and possibly a bill of sale for you. This policy is up to the receiving and sending FFL's and many dealers do not take transfers from private individuals.

Maksim.

In Pennsylvania for instance, you can legally conduct a face to face long gun transaction even at a gun show, totally legal. It's referenced in the state code. The state leaves it up to the seller to confirm if the buyer can legally purchase. No need for paperwork in this case. Any FFL in PA can also sell without having to transfer to a NJ FFL. You need an FID card and have to pass the NICs. I've done both.

Maksim.

In Pennsylvania for instance, you can legally conduct a face to face long gun transaction even at a gun show, totally legal. It's referenced in the state code. The state leaves it up to the seller to confirm if the buyer can legally purchase. No need for paperwork in this case. Any FFL in PA can also sell without having to transfer to a NJ FFL. You need an FID card and have to pass the NICs. I've done both.

I believe you are incorrect on this.

Face to face transfers are only valid within your state lines this goes for almost all the states in this union.

what you did was just illegally run a gun when you grossed state lines. Maybe one of the LE or vendors on this forum can

confirm this but I have e-mails from the State Police directly that confirmed this for me. Here is the answer I received from the

state police regarding buying out of state from FFL vendors and also privately from family members.

Dear Mr. ----,

In reference to your e-mail inquiry of February 17, 2009, regarding the purchase offirearms out of state from either a family member or a gun show firearms dealer.

* Purchase of a Handgun from a Federal Firearms Licensed (F.F.L.) dealer: The weapon must be transferred and shipped

from the selling F.F.L. licensed dealer in the state of purchase to awilling F.F.L. licensed dealer in New Jersey.

* Purchase of a Handgun from a family member: The weapon must be transferred and shipped from a willing F.F.L. licensed

dealer in the state of purchase to a willing F.F.L. licensed dealer in New Jersey.

* Purchase of a Long Arm from a Federal Firearms Licensed (F.F.L.) dealer: You as the buyer must exhibit your New Jersey

Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to the selling dealer, and mustcomplete and provide to the dealer a New Jersey Certificate

of Eligibility (Form S.P. 634), obtained on line at http://www.NJSP.org.,Services, Firearms Information, Forms to Download.

* Purchase of a Long Arm from a family member: Three alternatives for purchase of the long arm exist:

* The weapon must be transferred and shipped from a willing F.F.L. licensed dealer in the state of purchase to a willing

F.F.L. licensed dealer in New Jersey.

* The weapon is delivered by the selling family member to a willing F.F.L. dealer in the state of purchase, where the actual

purchase of the weapon by you and at that time will be consummated. You as the buyer must exhibit your New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card to the selling dealer, and must complete and provide to the dealer a New Jersey

Certificate of Eligibility (Form S.P. 634).

* The weapon is hand delivered by the selling family member to a willing F.F.L. dealer in New Jersey, where the actua purchase of the weapon as per New Jersey law will be consummated.

Lets be clear here. A NJ resident cannot do a face to face transaction for a long gun in PA unless it was with another NJ resident. You cannot buy a gun Face to Face(i.e. non FFL) from ANYONE who is not from your home state. This applies to all 50 states of the union.

Lets be clear here. A NJ resident cannot do a face to face transaction for a long gun in PA unless it was with another NJ resident. You cannot buy a gun Face to Face(i.e. non FFL) from ANYONE who is not from your home state. This applies to all 50 states of the union.

100% Correct Mal. You can purchase *(Long Guns)* from a Pa FFL all day long, you CANNOT F2F a purchase from a private citizen.