nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- FID/3 Permits.

2. Police Department where you applied - Jackson PD.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Lady in records department dont remember her name.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - Handed in everything on December 14th was told 6-8 weeks it took 16 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - 1 Paper that wanted my basic info for their records nothing really concerning.

6. Notes - Took forever, I was told since end of January my paperwork was on chiefs desk finally got everything April 4th I think it was the PD holding up everything for something political.

Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- FID/3 Permits.

2. Police Department where you applied - Lakewood Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Records department. Just the staff

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - Handed in everything on March 4, 2011 it took 5 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - none

6. Notes - Spoke with the Detective in charge of the process...Professional

Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- 2 permits

2. Police Department where you applied - Fanwood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Sgt Jedic

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 31 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - none

6. Notes - no additional fees or forms, received 2 status calls to let me know how it was going

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- 3 permits

2. Police Department where you applied - Clifton

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Kassie

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 30 days

6. Notes - forgot to bring the $6.00 ($2x3 permits) when I submitted my application. Kassie was very nice about it, letting me apply anyway. She wrote a note on my app to remind me about it when they call. She did.

1. Application type: Initial FID permit plus 4 P2P's.

2. Police Dept: South River

3. Name of person I dealt with: Diane

4. Time to issue: Just under 6 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD: References to 2 people (non-relatives) and letter to Employer (basically a 3rd reference)

6. Notes: Very painless process, except for the wait! Did not pay for any of the permits until the day I picked them up (today!)

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- 2 permits w/existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied - Berkeley Twp.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Marcy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 16 weeks!! Exactly 4 months to the day.

6. Notes - Very nice people over there but come on really??? 4 months for permits!?!?!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).-FID/2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied.-Beachwood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.-Diane

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.-80 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).-Form sent to employer & home

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)-None

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID (not initial but needed a new one due to new address) and 1 PP (cant afford two guns in 90 days right now)

2. Police Department where you applied. Edison

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Daneen/Dineen (spelling?)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied 3/29 ... pending so stay tunedReceived on 5-16 49 days later

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). The norm

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Well see how it goesHad to sit down and keep in contact with the Detective in charge of the department a few times but he was a very nice guy so it wasnt a burden at all

***UPDATED 5-16-2011***

Just picked up my FPID and PP today!!! After weeks of thinking I might not get them!!!! 49 days total wait time ... but it took a bit of energy to sit down and talk with the detective ... who BTW is a really decent guy!!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). initial FID and 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. West Orange

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. George Lopez

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 5 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). The norm

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). References were contacted about a week after I submitted application (given a form letter). I was busy with other stuff, so I never followed up on the application until 4 months had passed. I finally called and he said it would be ready within a week or two. He called me back about a week and half later to notify me that it was ready.

1. FID and 1 permit

2. Lower Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - N/A

4. Time taken - 30 days exactly

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - none

6. Notes - Went smooth. Handed in my paperwork on April 1st. Got printed on the 5th. Had a letter in the mail on the 30th saying that my FID and permit was ready, and I picked everything up on the following monday.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 1 Pistol Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Westfield

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Robin

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 13 days!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing additional.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Overall a very positive, easy process. Robin and anyone else I dealt with was super pleasant. References received letters quickly. I wasn't crazy about my employer receiving a letter, but knew it was a possibility. Cash was accepted on day of pickup. Great experience, A+ for the Westfield PD.

1. Application type: FID Address Update and 2 Pistol Purchase Permits.

2. Police Department where you applied - NJSP Perryville Station

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD -

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 25 Weeks /Approximately 6 months! Paperwork submitted 10/17/10 and received FID and permits on 3/21/11

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Only standard application and mental health investigation form

6. Notes - The troopers I dealt with were really nice guys, but having to wait 6 months was just plain ridiculous. No good law-abiding citizen should be made to wait that long. I believe that processing these applications is VERY low on the priority list for the troopers, as this is a "side duty" for them while they are not on the road. It's definitely disappointing to be told over and over again that your FID and permits will come in, in the next week or two, several times over a span of several months. By the time you really do get everything, you end up feeling somewhat bitter and having lost a quite a bit of enthusiasm and excitement about going out to buy yourself your new guns.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- 2 permits w/existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied - Berkeley Twp.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Marcy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 16 weeks!! Exactly 4 months to the day.

6. Notes - Very nice people over there but come on really??? 4 months for permits!?!?!

move to belleville. looks like they can do it in 2 days.

anyone from union willing the answer this survey?

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 4 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. NJSP Hamilton

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 160 days!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing additional.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). They were very nice every time I called but waiting over 5 months was terrible.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- Initial FID

2. Police Department where you applied - Marlboro

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Officer Murphy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 65 days and still pending

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - 2 more forms to sign.

6. Notes - They called me 10 days ago to ask if I did my prints and told them all the details on where and when and offered to drop off the receipt. I keep trying to call once a week but cannot reach the officer again. Another person told me that the delay is always from the state.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)- Initial FID

2. Police Department where you applied - Marlboro

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Officer Murphy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 65 days and still pending

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - 2 more forms to sign.

6. Notes - They called me 10 days ago to ask if I did my prints and told them all the details on where and when and offered to drop off the receipt. I keep trying to call once a week but cannot reach the officer again. Another person told me that the delay is always from the state.

mine took 83 days in marlboro.. had to sign a release for credit history and get mental health form notarized

1. Initial Application

2. Police Department where you applied - Stratford

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Detective Brett Johnson

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - Just under 60 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Information regarding my employer

6. Notes - Claimed that the law did not specify a time period for having the permit approved/denied. When I finally pressed the issue, the detective said that mine was almost done, and they'd know by the end of the week, which, fortunately, was the case. The other officers I dealt with were friendly and helpful, though they asked a lot of questions.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 4 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. NJSP Hamilton

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 160 days!

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). They were very nice every time I called but waiting over 5 months was terrible.

4 permits? is that even possible to do without getting an extension on one of the permits? Im thinking you buy your first gun day 1, 2nd on day 31, 3rd on day 61, 4th??? Jus looking for some eduction on the subject.

There is a no limit on the quantity of permits requested. One may have them extended or use an exemption form as per law.

I always advocate to get 6 permits with each application if you are into handguns. One per month for the first 90 days and the others for the extension period of another 90 days. Also, if one were to apply for another 6 when the fifth is used, there would be no period that one would not have a permit in hand. No waiting anymore.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID with 2 permits.

2. Police Department where you applied. Union PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Baird (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell his name)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 45 Days (5/10/11 - 6/24/11)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing Additional

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

Very nice and straightforward. I gave them the 30 days and about another week before following up with the application. Called on Tuesday, got a reply Thursday and was able to pick it up Friday.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - Initial FID & 3 Handgun Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. - Freehold Township Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Detective Simpson (did not speak to him directly, but he handles FID applications)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 29 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - N/A

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process -

Don't bother calling the Records Bureau (where you apply) requesting status; the lady is NEVER helpful and does not try to be, so call Detective Simpson directly via the Detective Bureau extension.

The PD will send your two references a letter to fill out a short paragraph of recommendation specifically on whether you should receive an FID. Also, in my case, they did NOT follow-up with my references via a phone call.

The call to your employer will not only confirm your employment but will entail some sort of questionnaire (Can you think of a reason why your employee should not own a gun? etc.) They will also explicitly tell your employer you are applying for an FID (I guess that's what they meant when they said you forfeit your right to privacy.)

You should soon receive your letter of approval/rejection in the mail after your employer is contacted.

Apparently, if the PD does not receive your reference, Detective Simpson will notify you.

Not much correspondence on the PD side, but hey, you can't beat 29 days (Thank you, Detective Simpson.)

Thought I'd post this little story I heard while handing in my permits on Wednesday. The officer said they don't have any more cards and permits to give out! They've contacted the state police to re-order a few times but to no avail. Way to go state police and Bayonne PD!

I've been lurking around this forum for a while, and here is my first post, just to add to the data.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 permits with existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied. Burlington Twp.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Donna in police records

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 29 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing Additional

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Very nice to deal with, references received letters in three days.

1. FID + 1 Pistol

2. Westfield PD

3. Robin?

4. Applied 7/13/2011 (will update when complete) Update: Got letter saying both are in! (8/06/2011)

5. None

6. Nothing yet, the woman handling permits was extremely nice, explained the entire fingerprinting process and expected time until permit is issued (a couple of weeks). Also said, that due to summer vacations, it could take longer during summer months.

1. Additional permits

2. Police Department where you applied - North Plainfield

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Jen (records division clerk)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - letter notifying arrival was 34 days after i turned in paperwork

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - a form acknowledging that it's illegal to sell/give a firearm to a prohibited person

6. Notes - fairly stream lined. pick up packet, call to make appointment (phone won't be answered, but calls returned within 24hrs usually) - anytime between 7 and 3:30pm, tuesday - friday. Jen is friendly and helpful