BCeagle

Using someone else's gun at Cherry Ridge (getting it there)

In fact, if you hand it to your spouse in your home, I think that's an illegal transfer. It's asinine.

So, if I'm out of town and something goes bump in the night and the wife grabs one of the guns, that's a no no?

That's a blam blam, worry about it later situation.

I read that somewhere....sec.

Ah, there it is.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_scott_bach/2008/ ... t_pra.html

Case in point: New Jersey's exemptions do not allow for the temporary transfer of a firearm in the home, even for self defense. If you show your spouse your handgun at home, and hand it to him or her, even if you're present the entire time, you're now both criminals facing 10 years in prison, because that specific kind of temporary transfer (i.e., inside the home) is not exempted by law.

Lest you think these are the theoretical musings of an alarmist, let me assure you that my files are filled with dozens of cases in which otherwise honest gun owners are regularly prosecuted as criminals under exactly these circumstances. In one case, even a judge whose carry permit had very recently expired was prosecuted as a criminal because he did not fall within one of the stated exemptions when he showed a firearm to someone inside a private home!

So, if I'm out of town and something goes bump in the night and the wife grabs one of the guns, that's a no no?
2C:39-6e allows one to possess any firearm in their home. The owner need not be present.
  • Like 1

2C:39-6e allows one to possess any firearm in their home. The owner need not be present.

But the owner and the possessor can be nailed for illegal transfer; which Scott Bach claims has happened... (Thanks for the post of that article, BTW. I had read it and forgotten where. Though I must say someone had to have it in for that judge for that to have happened; and I'd love a more direct cite of the incident).

What about in the case of an unregistered long gun? My father has 2 rifles that are from pre-registration days. In theory there is no proof that they do or don't belong to me.

Have you always lived in NJ? If so, they could demand proof that you purchased them after getting your FPID.

I lived in Ohio for 28 years. I have a number of guns that came with me. I was given some and bought the rest from friends. There was no receipt. Now, they know I moved to NJ in the 90s. If I had a late model HK 45C and no proof of purchase, they could deduce that I obtained it illegally.

What about in the case of an unregistered long gun? My father has 2 rifles that are from pre-registration days. In theory there is no proof that they do or don't belong to me.

Have you always lived in NJ? If so, they could demand proof that you purchased them after getting your FPID.

I lived in Ohio for 28 years. I have a number of guns that came with me. I was given some and bought the rest from friends. There was no receipt. Now, they know I moved to NJ in the 90s. If I had a late model HK 45C and no proof of purchase, they could deduce that I obtained it illegally.

Isn't the burden of proof on the prosecutor?

Isn't the burden of proof on the prosecutor?

Remember, all guns are illegal in NJ.