dave545

OPINIONS ON THE BUSHMASTER ACR

i shot i today and it didnt feel too bad the shouldering was odda t first but after i shot it it wasnt too bad and was comfortable and i like the heaviness of it. i like that all you do is change the barrel and not the whole upper as compared to the ar15

Bushmaster is handling the civilian sales, while Remington handles the military/LEO sales (and Magpul is still in the mix regarding accessories/peripherals, etc). My point being is that a lot of people were confused with the mish-mash of companies, while it all really is better for QC at the end of the day.

As for the 1x9, the consumer can request a 1x7 (I don't know the current availability). Unless a person is planning on doing the SPR variant, I don't see the big deal regarding this as the ACR is not a tack driver, but minute-of-"man." Still, I agree that this is something that nags me, and I would probably request a 1x7 barrel.

As for it being too heavy, I don't see assault rifles getting much lighter then the current 7-8 lbs. (ACR being 8lb 3 oz). Sure, its a pound heavier then the AR15 variants, but if weight is a genuine issue for someone-- and they can't adapt to another pound... well, I don't know what to say to that. My buddy was trained on the M4A1, M16A2/3, and M24... when he deployed, he was issued a M14ALCS w/ glass + NV + PEQ + weight of ammo. Sure, it was a change, but he adapted and he humped it around for over a year.

As for the barrel change, its far easier to have a few barrels then whole uppers. Plus, the ability to change to 6.8, and hopefully 7x62 eventually-- I think its worth it.

Bushmaster is handling the civilian sales, while Remington handles the military/LEO sales (and Magpul is still in the mix regarding accessories/peripherals, etc). My point being is that a lot of people were confused with the mish-mash of companies, while it all really is better for QC at the end of the day.

As for the 1x9, the consumer can request a 1x7 (I don't know the current availability). Unless a person is planning on doing the SPR variant, I don't see the big deal regarding this as the ACR is not a tack driver, but minute-of-"man." Still, I agree that this is something that nags me, and I would probably request a 1x7 barrel.

As for it being too heavy, I don't see assault rifles getting much lighter then the current 7-8 lbs. (ACR being 8lb 3 oz). Sure, its a pound heavier then the AR15 variants, but if weight is a genuine issue for someone-- and they can't adapt to another pound... well, I don't know what to say to that. My buddy was trained on the M4A1, M16A2/3, and M24... when he deployed, he was issued a M14ALCS w/ glass + NV + PEQ + weight of ammo. Sure, it was a change, but he adapted and he humped it around for over a year.

As for the barrel change, its far easier to have a few barrels then whole uppers. Plus, the ability to change to 6.8, and hopefully 7x62 eventually-- I think its worth it.

Assault rifles will eventually have far fewer moving parts and significantly lighter ammunition (shedding of cases in favor of something closer to the "metal storm" ammunition), so I do disagree regarding the weight issue. Lighter gun = more ammo I can carry plus it becomes much easier to point. I'm not a small person (6', 200lbs) and I work out regularly, and I can still remember my arms shaking after long sessions with the M1A.

I just purchased a KAC SR-15 and they weigh in at well under 7 lbs.

I must be odd or something. Im just not that bothered by heavy..... Maybe everything else just seems not so bad compared to my 15 to 18lb Precision Rifles. :D

Im going to go buy a fish scale but estimated here are the weights:

FAL is roughly 10Lbs

MWS is roughly 10Lbs

XCR mid 8's

Colt mid 8's

AR10 guessing 17

SRS guessing 15

According to rob_s from M4C (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9912 pictures at the bottom), a bare-bone SR-15 is 6lb 8.2 oz (so, you're definitely right that its under 7lb). Though, with an Aimpoint, rail covers, VFG, and sling, it jumps to 8lb 0.5 oz-- and each magazine of 30-rounds is another pound (so, in NJ, one magazine is another 8 oz~). With a kitted SR-15, I don't see much deviance in weight compared to other AR15 variants (unless you put glass on it).

That ties in with the fact that I don't think rifles will ever get much lighter then 7-8lb-- maybe dip down to 5-6lb bare bone at the least. Sure, the MAUL (Metal Storm tech, 12g shotgun attachment/standalone) is 1.8-2lb, and is a great example of where things could go... but I doubt that a full-sized assault rifle that meets military standards, with the addition of optics and ammunition types, is going to be much lighter then 5-6lb (unless they make it with more polymer-- which was one of the downfalls of the XM8). And for it being easier to point, Shane pointed it out previously, but that really comes down to the balance of the weapon. The thing could weigh 14.8lb like an AT4, and its still pretty easy to handle and fire-- or even like the SPRs out there, if done correctly, that can weigh upwards near 12-15lb and still be a dream.

For arguments sake, I hope you are right, that these things get lighter (be much easier for my back). I just don't see it happening anytime soon unless something really phenomenal happens.

It won't happen any time soon unfortunately. It's just too expensive to hand a new weapon to everyone in our armed forces unless we see a quantum leap in the lethality and reliability of new weapons systems.

I see your point about kitting the gun out (with basically exactly what I'm slapping on mine) but think about what happens when you put those exact accessories on an ACR? It then jumps up to 10+ pounds. As for balance, that's probably the main reason why I picked up the SR-15. It's the best balanced "off-the-shelf" rifle I could find.

According to rob_s from M4C (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9912 pictures at the bottom), a bare-bone SR-15 is 6lb 8.2 oz (so, you're definitely right that its under 7lb). Though, with an Aimpoint, rail covers, VFG, and sling, it jumps to 8lb 0.5 oz-- and each magazine of 30-rounds is another pound (so, in NJ, one magazine is another 8 oz~). With a kitted SR-15, I don't see much deviance in weight compared to other AR15 variants (unless you put glass on it).

That ties in with the fact that I don't think rifles will ever get much lighter then 7-8lb-- maybe dip down to 5-6lb bare bone at the least. Sure, the MAUL (Metal Storm tech, 12g shotgun attachment/standalone) is 1.8-2lb, and is a great example of where things could go... but I doubt that a full-sized assault rifle that meets military standards, with the addition of optics and ammunition types, is going to be much lighter then 5-6lb (unless they make it with more polymer-- which was one of the downfalls of the XM8). And for it being easier to point, Shane pointed it out previously, but that really comes down to the balance of the weapon. The thing could weigh 14.8lb like an AT4, and its still pretty easy to handle and fire-- or even like the SPRs out there, if done correctly, that can weigh upwards near 12-15lb and still be a dream.

For arguments sake, I hope you are right, that these things get lighter (be much easier for my back). I just don't see it happening anytime soon unless something really phenomenal happens.

Not to thread-jack, so I'll keep it brief, but how do you like your SR-15? I've been drooling over them (I love the URX rail, and the overall slimmed down look). I've heard a lot of folk say forget the SCAR, ACR, XCR, etc, and just put that towards an SR-15E3 where you'll get more bang for the buck. And what muzzle device are you using on it? I always see them with the triple tap or A2-- I'm assuming the PWS?

As for the ACR, its still really high on my list-- and I'm super excited whenever someone shows it off or is considering getting one. Until more externals are available and/or people perform some really tough torture tests/sees action in the field-- I do feel that its a bit more of a range toy then something I'd depend my life on. But I'm staying optimistic about this one.

Yea, from what I've seen the Tan is too bright. In a way though, its still better then having an all black rifle (I know there are many that prefer all-black). The whole point of changing the color scheme is to manipulate the eyes... fooling them from not [immediately] thinking RIFLE if a person did a quick scan... hence, "breaking the shape." Seems like a better option then wrapping everything in burlap ;)

Not to thread-jack, so I'll keep it brief, but how do you like your SR-15? I've been drooling over them (I love the URX rail, and the overall slimmed down look). I've heard a lot of folk say forget the SCAR, ACR, XCR, etc, and just put that towards an SR-15E3 where you'll get more bang for the buck. And what muzzle device are you using on it? I always see them with the triple tap or A2-- I'm assuming the PWS?

As for the ACR, its still really high on my list-- and I'm super excited whenever someone shows it off or is considering getting one. Until more externals are available and/or people perform some really tough torture tests/sees action in the field-- I do feel that its a bit more of a range toy then something I'd depend my life on. But I'm staying optimistic about this one.

I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but the gun is literally perfect. It was Eugene Stoner's last redesign of the AR platform, and the thing is as light and balanced as can be. I'm working on getting it "legalized" right now. I went with a Battlecomp and a Magpul ACS stock. I was thinking Triple Tap, but pinning them is supposedly a mess due to how hard the Iconel is and I'd hate to ruin something that expensive.