Scrap

Mossberg 590 or Benelli Supernova?

So I am looking for a pump to go along with my Mossberg 930 SPX... I had a Benelli Supernova , 24" SteadyGrip pistol-grip-stock with red fiber-optic-sight.. I loved the gun but it was too big for me and for home defense, I will never be a hunter let ALONE a turkey hunter at that (and it was their expensive turkey gun model)... and I needed the money that week.

I am considering getting a new one from the Cabelas in PA, maybe not (from somewhere else) .. but I would like a pump as a backup to my autoloading primary defense weapon...

I have found the Benelli Supernova TACTICAL I really wanted to begin with... it's almost $500.

I was about to buy a Mossberg 590 from CMO on Monday... It was the 20" heavy-walled barrel, parkerized, adjustable M4-style stock, Ghost Ring sights, and factory installed capacity of 8+1...

I almost bought the Mossberg AND the Zastava from CMO, but they wouldn't give me a discount for buying two guns, for being a good customer, for the scratches on the 590's receiver, nothing. "Why should we give you a discount, people buy 5 guns at a time here...We sell at least 20 guns a day, business is never better... so we don't need to give you a discount, someone else will buy whatever you don't buy .. " (all probably true, but, you never know when things will change or who I will grow up to become, etc.. it can come back to haunt you..)

Anyway I bought the rifle, I knew I wanted to have that... and held off on the shotgun.. I have since spent the money so I'm not buying it righ away, but this forum could use some action, so what do you think? What have you, kind sirs, and squires ? What have you, Mossberg 590(A1?) or Benelli Supernova (Tactical?) American made by way of Sweden or Italian Sexay? Smooth and Sensual Benelli or Mossberg Power and Jaw-cracking parkerizing potential!?

I think that for strictly an HD gun, one that isn't going to take a ton of regular abuse, but that you want to go bang on the (God forbid) chance that you ever need it, the Mossberg will be a good choice. Take it to the range, kick the tires, wring it out, clean it up, load it and put it under the bed... no need to go to the Italian sexiness.

Im not a scattergun expert or even a novice. In fact the only reason I even own one is because I need it for 3 gun competition. With that being said, the mossy 500 has done everything of it I have asked. Which honestly isnt a lot but it does the job. The 590 A1 has recieved very very good reviews from what I have read. I may upgrade to the 590 at some point but its not a priority. 870 is good as well but some of the features of the 500/590 I like better. Namely the position of the safety.

870 is good as well but some of the features of the 500/590 I like better. Namely the position of the safety.

:facepalm:

It's a safety that you don't need. Glocks aint got no safety, neither do XD's. They run fine.

RAY, Ray, ray...... tell that to the RSO when he kicks yer ass off the line for not being on safe! Someone better versed in the action of a 500/870 can indicate what internal safeties may or may not exist in these shotguns but I would bet the comparison you just made is apples to oranges. I also prefer the lack of the flap in the mossy. I dont care for the plastic trigger housing of the remington. With that being said, the differences are very small, Id grab whichever was closer to me on the table if I had to grab and go......

Whatch the vid. At the shotgun stage it was MANDATORY that it be on safe on the table.

One thing I have found recently is that although the Mossberg 500 is the one used by the military, you would at least have to change the safety to an aluminum switch for it to be "Mil-spec." It comes with a plastic safety switch.

Also, you can buy after market safety switches intended for use with a pistol grip, but I really think that if a pistol grip is what you want you need the 870' style safety.

Not to get into a circular discussion on the (dis)advantages of one safety over another (yet again), but for me, the safety on an HD only shotgun is completely irrelevant. My gun is kept hidden but within easy reach, tube loaded, chamber empty, and safety off. Pick it up, rack and go.

If I'm only half awake, I'd rather have to depend on the gross motor skills necessary to rack the gun than the finer mental need to remember to push the safety button one way or the other.

I went with a 500 simply because it was cheap at the time, and I have no reason to spend money on something I hope never to have to use, other than bringing it out to the range a couple of times a year to make sure it goes bang.

YMMV

Now, back to our regularly scheduled circlejerk.

Ken, heres the one rub, at least for me. If that is the ONLY way you ever deploy your shotty then whatever works best for you is fine. But if you use it in other scenarios that have you putting the safety on, then it could become an issue. In high stress as you noted motor skills start to crumble BUT what also happens is you default to your training subcontiously. So you will likely do what you always do. So if you shoot skeet a lot and have to come off safe at the beginning of each round, in a bad situation at home you run the risk of causing yourself a mental burp when you automatically go to take off the safety and you cant because its already off. So obviously I am a fan of doing it the same way every time across the board. When I draw my 1911, I dont even have to think about the safety anymore, its on autopilot. This is also why I am a big fan of same platforms. I sold an HK USP compact for this very reason. Having different controls totally fubared me running that pistol.

Shane

Ken, heres the one rub, at least for me. If that is the ONLY way you ever deploy your shotty then whatever works best for you is fine. But if you use it in other scenarios that have you putting the safety on, then it could become an issue. In high stress as you noted motor skills start to crumble BUT what also happens is you default to your training subcontiously. So you will likely do what you always do. So if you shoot skeet a lot and have to come off safe at the beginning of each round, in a bad situation at home you run the risk of causing yourself a mental burp when you automatically go to take off the safety and you cant because its already off. So obviously I am a fan of doing it the same way every time across the board. When I draw my 1911, I dont even have to think about the safety anymore, its on autopilot. This is also why I am a big fan of same platforms. I sold an HK USP compact for this very reason. Having different controls totally fubared me running that pistol.

Shane

A good and valid point.

When I shoot trap with the BPS, the safety stays off, with the Stoeger, the safety resets when the gun breaks (an easy fix that I haven't gotten around to doing yet), and I have forgotten from time to time to push the button. All 3 guns have the safety on the tang, so there's some consistency there. Hopefully, in the event that I need to grab the 500, muscle memory will put my thumb on the button, but not allow anything stupid to happen.

I dearly hope never to have to test it.

With that being said, the mossy 500 has done everything of it I have asked. Which honestly isnt a lot but it does the job. The 590 A1 has recieved very very good reviews from what I have read. I may upgrade to the 590 at some point but its not a priority

As someone who has both a 500 and a 590A1, the A1 is a certainly a nice upgrade over the 500.

I went with the 18.5" ghost ring version and added a +2 extension, Hogue short LOP stock, 6 shot TacStar side saddle, Wolff Power spring, VangComp follower and a VangComp safety. Eventually it's going to get a Surefire forend. The end result is a very solid, relatively easy to maneuver, HD shotgun.

It would be great if we were allowed to have short barrel shotguns in NJ. A 14" barrel would be much handier inside the house.

I went with the 18.5" ghost ring version and added a +2 extension, Hogue short LOP stock, 6 shot TacStar side saddle, Wolff Power spring, VangComp follower and a VangComp safety. Eventually it's going to get a Surefire forend. The end result is a very solid, relatively easy to maneuver, HD shotgun.

It would be great if we were allowed to have short barrel shotguns in NJ. A 14" barrel would be much handier inside the house.

How is it in the Skeet and Tap ranges?

I initially really liked the ghost rings on the shotgun. After shooting my 870 with a vent rib/bead it's pretty clear they are not optimal for any sort of clay or bird shooting. You just don't aim a shotgun like you do a rifle. The sight picture is just all wrong...

How is it in the Skeet and Tap ranges?

Not as bad as you would think actually. In the hands of a better shooter (i.e. not me), I'm sure it would be better, but if memory server me, the first time I took it out I hit 12 out of 25 or something like that. In my defense, it was really my first time shooting a shotgun, and my first time shooting clays :)

ok, so I'm looking into a ghost ring for my shotty. which kind do you guys have? got any pics of them?

I'de try it without 'em first. Waste of money IMHO and then you cant use the gun at all for clays. The rear sight mounts on the reciever. I can place slugs on a sillouette at 100 yards with nothing but a bead sight on my trench gun, smooth bore and no rib. Better peripheral vision, better in low light.... I dont see the need for ghosts.

then you cant use the gun at all for clays

BS. You can. It ain't ideal, but you can.

But, I do agree with you about trying them out first. They're not for everyone. And the cost of adding ghost rings to a gun that doesn't already have them can be a bit steep.

then you cant use the gun at all for clays

BS. You can. It ain't ideal, but you can.

But, I do agree with about trying them out first. They're not for everyone. And the cost of adding ghost rings to a gun that doesn't already have them can be a bit steep.

Sure, its not impossible. But tracking/leading a clay with the ring/ears in the way? wayyyyyy less than ideal.

To answer your question.

Neither, an 870 is all you'll ever need. Hands down.

How's that Lil' Scrappy!

So not only are you such an ignorant person that insists on the whole Lil Scrappy thing after I personally asked you to cut that out, you are not intelligent enough to use basic reading comprehension? An 870 was not one of the choices of this exercise... Please re-read the question and , actually, no need to provide another answer, you've already failed.

Please refrain from replying to anything I say and I will ignore your stuff, and we can peacefully coexist