Blcklightning

Went to Fort Dix Today (Oct 13th) and have a Heads Up

So I decided to go to Dix today and do some shooting. I haven't done a lot of shooting lately and was really looking forward to going. My plan for the day involved going out and getting firewood in the morning (I'm off this week) and then picking up some pumpkins and heading off to Fort Dix in the afternoon.

I was really looking forward to shooting some pumpkins. I picked up 9 for $20 in different sizes. Cantaloupe sized pumpkins cost only a dollar! I ended up only bringing 3 medium sized ones to the range.

So I knew that usually with fruits and such you didn't have to clean up after yourself. Plastic bottles and such you do. I've never actually brought any "produce" to shoot before. When I got to Dix I asked the girl that works there what the rules were for stuff like pumpkins, just to be sure. She then tells me she's not sure if they will let me shoot them!? :blink: Apparently the other day (weekend?) some people were not listening and throwing pumpkins and other produce out in the trash cans(?) and not in the dumpster and the Range guys were getting pissed. :icon_e_confused: She said I could go ahead and try, but didn't know if they would let me...

So there I am shooting the AR at 100/200 yards and the P226 and S&W M19 at about 15 yards at standard bulls-eye cardboard backed targets for like 45min. Then these guys come out and setup a mannequin at 100 yards wearing what looks to be body-armor and start shooting at it... :icon_eek: Okay game on! Next cease-fire I'll bring out the pumpkins and the SKS with Hollow-points! :icon_twisted: I put one at 25 yards, one at 35 yards and am almost at 100 yards when over the loudspeaker I hear: "Are those pumpkins? ...Produce is not allowed. If you have pumpkins, please return them to your vehicle. Pumpkins are a produce! ".......!!!! :blink::icon_mad:

WTF. So back in the truck they go. Talked to the girl when I was all done and told her I got "yelled at". She told me that she wasn't sure if they were really going to enforce it, but it looks like that is the new rule. No Produce! Today was the 1st day!

Maybe they will get over it? Just wanted to give everybody a heads-up. I know people were looking to do some pumpkin shooting, but looks like it's a no go. I guess they've gotten fed up with dealing with a couple assholes that have to go ruin it for everyone else.

Had a good time anyway. Had a good laugh with the people around me about the pumpkin thing. One woman had gotten really excited when I brought them out. Got a couple: "What is that?" "Is that Legal?" for my Yugo SKS. I love that thing! :icon_lol:

No more Produce Targets at Fort DIX!

Guest megaman

Lets go here!

These guys are my buddies and they keep telling me there is no way I can hit a pumpkin with a shotgun.

They say they come out so fast its not possible.

I kept insisting, and they did a 'calculation' and still said it was not possible.

So its not the same thing as Fort Dix telling you that you cant shoot pumpkins, its also the guys who throw pumpkins who say I cant shoot them...cant you see the irony! LOL...Pumpkins are hard to get a shot at this year...

Why would someone be in awe over the legality of an SKS? :facepalm:

Also, do they allow you to shoot at cinder blocks/bricks?

They see a semi-auto rifle with a bayonet on it and people don't know what to do with themselves. One guy asked if it was an AK... :facepalm:

No blocks or bricks. Can shoot at steel targets at 200 yards. Ground targets have to be at least 25 yards out.

They see a semi-auto rifle with a bayonet on it and people don't know what to do with themselves. One guy asked if it was an AK... :facepalm:

Yep, I have one also, when they (unknowledgeable people) ask about the 'silencer' on the end of the barrel, and I tell them, no its a GRENADE LAUNCHER, I get some odd looks :icon_e_biggrin: OMG COMMIE AK AUTOMATIC ASSUALT RIFLE GRENADES!!!!! :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:

What's worse are the lead sledders as I call them, the peeps that go to the range with a rifle holder & clamp it down on a bench and shoot 50 yds with a $2000+ piece of glass on a tricked out bolt gun, whit high end ammo or own reloads, at 1 rd every 15 minutes. I have got the look down the nose at my milsurps and the eye rolling if I dare to interrupt them to safe the range for target changes or to clean up

What's worse are the lead sledders as I call them, the peeps that go to the range with a rifle holder & clamp it down on a bench and shoot 50 yds with a $2000+ piece of glass on a tricked out bolt gun, whit high end ammo or own reloads, at 1 rd every 15 minutes. I have got the look down the nose at my milsurps and the eye rolling if I dare to interrupt them to safe the range for target changes or to clean up

Have a couple of those at my club. It's hilariously sad to think that without a chair, table, special vise, and $2000 rifle they probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. How they consider what they do "shooting a gun" is beyond me.

But you know what, I wouldn't care one bit, if they weren't such absolutely miserable old shitheads who look upon those with a milsurp or, gasp, a semi auto, with total disgust.

Maybe they will get over it? Just wanted to give everybody a heads-up. I know people were looking to do some pumpkin shooting, but looks like it's a no go. I guess they've gotten fed up with dealing with a couple assholes that have to go ruin it for everyone else.

No more Produce Targets at Fort DIX!

The military likes tidy ranges, plus possible budget cuts and re-working of the garbage collection due to the Joint base thing and some slobs may have cause the new no fruit rule, just my 0.02, I dunno what the cause would be--

but you never had to clean up the stuff before. Leave it out and the critters eat it at night. Only the plastic and soup cans went into the dumpster.

I haven't shot fruit or veggies there, so I dunno,leaving it makes sense to me, theres plenty of animals to gobble it up. Perhaps there was an inordinate amount left out there one day and the wildlife didnt eat it and it smelled or flies got to it. Or some new flunky that doesnt like the idea of a military range being open to civilians saw the remains. Out on the ranges we use further east, they get pissy if garbage is not cleaned up---

Damn. I hope they don't ban my potatoe shooting there

I was in lane 13 and could see pieces of potatoes on the ground!

but you never had to clean up the stuff before. Leave it out and the critters eat it at night. Only the plastic and soup cans went into the dumpster.

Yeah I know. She told me that they were throwing out the pumpkins and stuff in the trash cans instead of the dumpster like they had asked. ??? I don't know, maybe they were making people clean up the "produce" too. It sounds weird to me, but what are you gonna do. :icon_e_confused: They asked the guys with the mannequin to take it home with them and not throw it in the trash.

Btw. They have no signs up or anything like that. Had I not asked the girl first I would have been seriously confused and pissed.

Have a couple of those at my club. It's hilariously sad to think that without a chair, table, special vise, and $2000 rifle they probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. How they consider what they do "shooting a gun" is beyond me.

But you know what, I wouldn't care one bit, if they weren't such absolutely miserable old shitheads who look upon those with a milsurp or, gasp, a semi auto, with total disgust.

I had one of those try to bust my chops about shooting a "mans caliber" after seeing the first gun i pulled out of a case--an ar15 with bull barrel and big glass. I told him i also brought my 8mm mauser and 7.5 swiss to shoot after that and he was like, "what are those?" Ignorance with a side of ignorance topped with ignorance sauce.

central jersey here I come

I may be wrong, but I thought Central Jersey was more restrictive than Fort Dix when it comes to targets. I don't know if you can even shoot at steel targets at 200-300 yards, or they need to be 6 feet in the air. As for fruit, I don't know. Maybe a member can chime in here and let us know.

Here are some of the rules for Central Jersey:

Targets of any type shall not be placed upon the tops of mid field berms. Low misses causes ricochets from the berm

endangering cross field security.

Members are expected to clean up any target fragments resulting from using pumpkins, golf balls etc. Every member using such targets must show how they are going to clean up the debris if challenged.

You can go to the wesite it has all the rules, no login required.

http://www.cjrpc.com/

Even if you have more restrictive, as restrictive rules at CJRPC, they have alot more to offer... especially the new Pits are freaking awesome. Shotgun ranges second to none, a 300 yard rifle range, a 200 yard rifle range.

Indoor range, I dont see using but it is there...

$250 a year or what not... refer one member a year, help setup the USPSA event stages as I do anyway, and you have more work credit hours.

I loved ft dix that you can shoot fruits, etc, and just leave it there for animals... you kind of put up with the muzzle sweeping, gangster shooting bros from the hood, because it is so cheap.

CJ, you have more, with no wait lines, as far as I can tell, and you can do everything at one place.

I want to shoot at steel plates. I can live with not blowing up fruit, but i want to be able to hit steel at 200-300 yards. Is that allowed at CJRPC? Does it need to be 6 feet in the air?

Lunker here is the link to the rule: http://www.cjrpc.com/index.cfm?wpid=14

As far as 6 foot taget holders they are for 50 and 100 yard lines. There are actually different hight requirements for standing,

prone, and bench. Never seen it enforced, but they are the rules. They actually have plans to build folding target holders that are adjustable. I believe steel is allowed out at 200 plus. Maybe even closer.

The club is really nice and never crowded, even weekend mornings. If you have never been there I would be happy to take you as my guest.

It is well worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Lunker here is the link to the rule: http://www.cjrpc.com/index.cfm?wpid=14

As far as 6 foot taget holders they are for 50 and 100 yard lines. There are actually different hight requirements for standing,

prone, and bench. Never seen it enforced, but they are the rules. They actually have plans to build folding target holders that are adjustable. I believe steel is allowed out at 200 plus. Maybe even closer.

The club is really nice and never crowded, even weekend mornings. If you have never been there I would be happy to take you as my guest.

It is well worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Jimmy,

I am still looking to take you up on that offer. Maybe in a few weekends? This weekend and the next are booked for me, and the following one is the Ft Dix get-together.

Jimmy,

I am still looking to take you up on that offer. Maybe in a few weekends? This weekend and the next are booked for me, and the following one is the Ft Dix get-together.

No problem. I am booked till the begining of Nov. So just PM when is good for you. I usually go every weekend.