Sign in to follow this  
dpas1973

Where can i get camo done on my rifle.

I recommend doing it yourself. It is a really easy project. I used alumahyde from brownells, and just a little shredding of masking tape and it comes out good. I had never done any kind of camo before and here is the monster mosin I did. If you want more info on the process, just let me know

DSC00305.jpg

I recommend doing it yourself. It is a really easy project. I used alumahyde from brownells, and just a little shredding of masking tape and it comes out good. I had never done any kind of camo before and here is the monster mosin I did. If you want more info on the process, just let me know

DSC00305.jpg

yes please can you tell me what did you use and where did you buy it/. if you dont mind explaining the process

well, here is the quick and easy version. I will write a good step by step some time later on.

1) fully de-grease the entire gun. I used brake cleaner and followed it up with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner

2) paint the rifle one solid coat of what ever you want the color of your stripes to be, I used black

3) drink beer

4) now that the rifle is one solid color, start shredding up some masking tape for your stripes. The more jagged the better

5) apply your stripes in random on the entire gun.

6) drink beer

7) paint the entire gun whatever you want the background color to be. I used OD green.

8) drink beer

9) now that the paint has dried, remove the masking tape stripes while the paint is still soft.

10) drink a couple of beers

11)your gun is now striped, if you want to put highlights like I did follow on

12)Since the paint I used is in a rattle can, and I am too cheap to buy an airbrush I just sprayed the paint on a paper plate and did the highlights with an artists paint brush. I went completely random and didn't outline every stripe, and did little sploches all over( those were mostly from the "drink beer steps")

13) let your outlines dry and go over the entire gun lightly with steel wool. Once steel wooled, put a coat of clear on the entire thing.

If you use the alumahyde from brownells, it is really BULLET PROOF! I slipped tightening the action screws and swore I scratched the hell out of the paint, didn't even leave a scratch. the only downside is it takes about 3 weeks to fully cure. So I would put a coat on, let it sit 3 weeks and then do the next color. If not, it supposedly bubbles. I have heard of people using BBQ paint with great success. I have several bad things about duracoat. Even though it dries quick, I heard it is junk. If wanting durability, I would just go the alumahyde route even though it is a pain in the A$$.

Just a FYI. I've done two camo jobs on my rifles. My first was on my Mossy 500 about 10 years ago using Bow-flage which is labeled as temporary...10 years later it still looks pretty damn good with hard hunting use in all sorts of weather. The little wear has actually made the camo look better. My most recent was on a AR where I had a CavArms lower in OD and then bought some Krylon OD and hit my quad rail, Surefire, LaRue mounts, Aimpoint and other parasites. It has seen two years of severe use and looks damn good. I did not do the barrel or the receiver.

I kind of do things a little different. First degrease the hell out it. Then heat the metal up a bit to open up the pores to allow better paint penetration. Not super hot 200 - 250 is good enough. Then I get two jumper leads (wires with alligator clips) and hook on lead to the rattle can and a battery terminal (car, motorcycle, fresh lantern battery). The other jumper to the metal of the gun and the other terminal of the battery. The paint gets a slight magnetic charge to it and the metal draws the paint in like a magnet. Professional, no. Works, hell yes. YMMV.

Wojo