The Walking Dead

• Please log in to reply
1043 replies to this topic

#1 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater
  • Home Range:Somerset County Fish & Game

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

With the Walking Dead TV show coming up and many of us reading the comics, I figured it would be good to start a thread about it. I'm reading the trade paperback collections (the ones that collect a few issues) and I just finished #10 - What We Become. so any thoughts and opinions on the comics & the show... here's a place for them...
~ Feliks

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

#2 TommyRuss

TommyRuss
  • LocationMorris County
  • Home Range:RTSP

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:49 AM

I'm reading the hardcovers and I'm up to Book Four.

They're freaking awesome and I'm really looking forward to the TV series.

Series premier: Halloween (10/31) at 10PM on AMC

#3 Wolfy

Wolfy
  • Home Range:Not Brick Armory

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

I am looking foward to it as well. AMC does a good job with Breaking Bad and Rubicon so I am optimistic.
Zero bullets are the best!!!

Even though Frodo still lives. The final battle for middle earth rages on to next year. To bare a ring of power is a great responsibility Tea Party. And if you do not succeed, there will be darkness in the world of men. For Obama serves the dark lord of Islam. Beware of the eye, the eye of google, for they are also in league together against men. And the legions of Liberal Orc's, are always at war, with true men of the west.

#4 Ray Ray

Ray Ray
  • LocationBayonne, Hudson County
  • Home Range:Bayonne Pistol Range

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

When Breaking Bad is complete, I'm buying the whole show on DVD. Even though I never watched one episode, it looks like something you can sit and watch for a few hours on a rainy day.

Walking Dead TV, Halloween on AMC, NOTED!
NJZED

#5 jermz1987

jermz1987

NJ ZED Zombie Interrogation Unit Director

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationHightstown
  • Home Range:Ft. Dix & Brick Armory

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

This show actually looks really good. I cant wait.

1. Glock 19
2. Beretta 92FS
3. Springfield 1911 G.I.
4. Smith and Wesson 66
5. Remington 870 Police
6. Bushmaster XM15

7. WASR 10/63

#6 bbk

bbk

Friendly Neighborhood Ghost

• Premier Member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I'm super excited about this show.
What I'm really interested in regarding the comic to show transition is to not so much see what they leave out (because things have to be), but how the development of characters pans out. How will some characters be portrayed (and who will play them is a huge aspect of that)? Which characters will get squeezed into other characters, and which characters will be completely left out?
To me, and many others, what makes The Walking Dead so darn awesome is its very primal focus on mainly the characters themselves and not necessarily the fact that its a zombie post-apocalyptic setting. This could be a story set in post-Katrina NOLA, or Belgrade during the Kosovo conflict... to see how people would react to such carnage is mystifying really...

... plus there's zombies :icon_cool:
Ben
"I never learned from a man who agreed with me" - RAH

#7 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

that's why I liked the comic. and it pulls no punches with the gore and killing off characters. child zombies, suicide by zombie, all kids of crazy stuff...
~ Feliks

#8 Wolfy

Wolfy

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

Saw some pics of the zombies in a mag today and they look well done.

Even though Frodo still lives. The final battle for middle earth rages on to next year. To bare a ring of power is a great responsibility Tea Party. And if you do not succeed, there will be darkness in the world of men. For Obama serves the dark lord of Islam. Beware of the eye, the eye of google, for they are also in league together against men. And the legions of Liberal Orc's, are always at war, with true men of the west.

#9 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

ok - just finished #11 - "Fear the Hunters" - more crazy stuff. and to those of us with kids, really thought provoking. that whole incident with the Hunters I found very disturbing. I guess you can't really really decide until you're put into the situation, but there is no way I'm killing and eating my own children. I'd starve to death or just off myself before I do that. or other people's children, or other people for that matter. I think we cease being human at the point that we start killing and eating other humans.
~ Feliks

#10 Ray Ray

Ray Ray

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

I think we cease being human at the point that we start killing and eating other humans.

Not really, man has been eating man since, well, since forever!
NJZED

#11 MedicYeti

MedicYeti
  • LocationCape May Court House: 08210
  • Home Range:Mullica Hill Rifle and Pistol, Maurice River

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

tastes like chicken.
My dvr won't let me go that far into the future but I plan on catchi g every episode after the little man goes to bed. Looks great. I hope it's not a disappointment.

#12 bbk

bbk

• Premier Member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

tastes like chicken.
My dvr won't let me go that far into the future but I plan on catchi g every episode after the little man goes to bed. Looks great. I hope it's not a disappointment.

Frank Darabont directing (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption), with Robert Kirkman executive producing (creator/writer of the comic series the show is based on)-- plus AMC "distributing" (basically having final say on public release)... I don't see how this can go wrong at all. AMC did kind of mess up with their remake of "The Prisoner" (debatable), but everything else they've done has been pure win.

On a side note, the titles/dates for the episodes have been released-- or at least IMDB has them as:
"Days Gone Bye": 31 Oct
"Guts": 7 Nov
"Tell It to the Frogs": 14 Nov
"Vatos": 21 Nov
"Wildfire": 28 Nov
"TS-19": 5 December

If you're obsessively familiar with the comic series, maybe those titles indicate what will be going on-- and, more importantly, how far into the series they might be going for season 1.
Ben

#13 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

c'mon Ray, I knew that. I was just stating my opinion. we're supposedly civilized, and I know I'd rather die than eat humans, especially children. I mean, we're not tribesmen running around the rain forest with loincloths and sticks through our noses.
if you've read that part of the comic, the leader of "the hunters" said that they gave up hunting animals because it was too difficult and decided that hunting humans was easier. he had also basically said that they killed and ate their children, and after that, killing and eating strangers was easy. It wasn't a situation like in "the Road" where there's nothing at all to eat, and even then, I'd rather die than eat humans. it's not like in "Alive" where they eat already dead frozen people because there is nothing else and they hope for a rescue.
~ Feliks

#14 Wolfy

Wolfy

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Awesome trailer.

#15 EchoMirage

EchoMirage

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:17 PM

i remember seeing that trailer a long, long time ago. at least 5+ months.

and i REALLY hope that wasnt a real 71 judge they wrecked

A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

#16 Ray Ray

Ray Ray

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just watched the promo on AMC, looks really good. Hope they don't Eff it up.
NJZED

#17 s8n

s8n
  • LocationAberdeen
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Just bought the 48 volume compendium to prep for what looks like my new favorite series.
Frank,
Peace Through Superior FirePower
NRA Life Member
NJ2AS Member
The Greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world He didn't exist...

#18 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

I just finished Trade Paperback Volume 12. can't wait for the next one. tell us what you think of it once you get through some of it, s8n
~ Feliks

#19 s8n

s8n
  • LocationAberdeen
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

I just finished Trade Paperback Volume 12. can't wait for the next one. tell us what you think of it once you get through some of it, s8n

Will do

Frank,
Peace Through Superior FirePower
NRA Life Member
NJ2AS Member
The Greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world He didn't exist...

#20 Caine

Caine
  • LocationEssex County
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge/BulletHole/Bayonne/Range14

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

I was fortunate enough to get to see episode 1 & 2 today. Both were awesome. I think everyone who has read the comic will be very pleased with the show and those that haven't read the comic will also like it. They're not pulling ANY punches in terms of how graphic it is.
-Pete
"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do." - Theodore Roosevelt
Όποιος γίνεται πρόβατο, τον τρώει ο λύκος

#21 bbk

bbk

• Premier Member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

I was fortunate enough to get to see episode 1 & 2 today. Both were awesome. I think everyone who has read the comic will be very pleased with the show and those that haven't read the comic will also like it. They're not pulling ANY punches in terms of how graphic it is.

Whaaaat. NY Comic-Con? Or using your IT magic to get hold of some BTs? Tell me your secret, 18 days is too long :(
Ben

#22 Caine

Caine
  • LocationEssex County

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

LOL neither. My company got a copy from AMC for reviewing. NDAs are involved, so can't really say more than that ;)
-Pete
"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do." - Theodore Roosevelt

#23 bbk

bbk

• Premier Member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Fair enough, ha, Secret Squirrel understands :icon_razz:

Man, I only got to keep boring secrets. Here you've seen something that a couple million people world-wide have been salivating over for months/years. Enjoy that power! :icon_e_biggrin:
Ben

#24 Caine

Caine
  • LocationEssex County

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

:icon_lol: nah.. nothing like that. Just lucky really.. right place at the right time kinda thing heh I practically had to give away my first born just to watch it for a couple of hours
-Pete

#25 Ray Ray

Ray Ray

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

I like the part in the promo where he's on horseback with a canvas bag full of shootys! That was niccccceeeee
NJZED

#26 fliks

fliks
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

there's plenty of gun play in the comics, so if that transfers into the show, it'll be our type of thing :icon_e_biggrin:
~ Feliks

#27 EchoMirage

EchoMirage

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

reminder its on tonight, 10pm

A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

#28 Ray Ray

Ray Ray

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

waiting patiently, at 8 is another good zombie movie
NJZED

#29 bbk

bbk

• Premier Member
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Yea, if I remember from my quick browsing, AMC will be showing "Dawn of the Dead" (the more recent version) to get us warmed up for The Walking Dead.
Ben

#30 nitrospaz9

nitrospaz9
  • Home Range:Bullethole

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Anybody watching it? First five minutes and he Blasts some little girl in the head lol. Figured it would take like 30 minutes to see the first zombie.
Tom
N.R.A Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users