tuktuk

the new Attorney General's interpretation of 2C:39-1w. "Assault Firearm" means "Avtomat Kalashnikov Type Semiautomatic Firearms".

my I.O. inc AK style was declared illegal by NJSP today. i have to bring it back to the store within 24hours like hundreds of other gun owners all of the state. PK90 did some research and found out this >>> "Found out that it was the new Attorney General's interpretation of 2C:39-1w. "Assault Firearm" means "Avtomat Kalashnikov Type Semiautomatic Firearms". So basically, ALL AK types are illegal." any thoughts on that???

PS PK90 i hope you dont mind that im quoting you. and referencing you. let me know if you do so i will ask to remove this thread

my mak 90 is legal by precednt here in nj....hope that does not change

http://www.sussexcountyjustice.com/guns.html

monmouth court

"On February 26, 1996 Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Michael D. Farren, J.S.C. dismissed an indictment against Robert D. Merrill. The Judge declared that the definition of "assault firearm" is unconstitutional for vagueness and due process. Judge Farren correctly observed that the possession of magazines capable of holding more than 15 bullets as violative of due process if they had been obtained prior to the enactment of the statute. Moreover, Judge Farren held that the statutory provision making it a crime to possess a semi-automatic firearm that is "substantially identical" to a banned weapon as vague. In his decision, Farren stated "This defendant is charged with possessing a Norinko MAK-90 semi-automatic rifle that is allegedly 'substantially identical' to a list of 37 weapons from the four corners of the globe. How is this defendant or any defendant to know if his firearm is 'substantially identical' unless he is intimately familiar with the nomenclature of the other 37 weapons. This is an impossibility and a task which the law cannot require."[N.15] "

15 Hester, T. (1996, February 29). Judge sees two sections of state's assault weapons law as unconstitutional. The Star-Ledger, p. 12.

This would make the law even more vauge. Without the "substantially identical" 2 or more thing ruling whats an assault rifle and whats not, what will qualify as an AK type? Anything with wood and 2 slats up front? Anything with a triangular front sight? Anything that shoots 7.62x39? At least it used to be somewhat clear cut. I'm hoping a bunch of the IO rifles slipped through without welds on the brakes or something, otherwise this is messed up. WTF?!

my I.O. inc AK style was declared illegal by NJSP today. i have to bring it back to the store within 24hours like hundreds of other gun owners all of the state. PK90 did some research and found out this >>> "Found out that it was the new Attorney General's interpretation of 2C:39-1w. "Assault Firearm" means "Avtomat Kalashnikov Type Semiautomatic Firearms". So basically, ALL AK types are illegal." any thoughts on that???

PS PK90 i hope you dont mind that im quoting you. and referencing you. let me know if you do so i will ask to remove this thread

Link to your specific model on the manufacturer's website please?

This would make the law even more vauge. Without the "substantially identical" 2 or more thing ruling whats an assault rifle and whats not, what will qualify as an AK type? Anything with wood and 2 slats up front? Anything with a triangular front sight? Anything that shoots 7.62x39? At least it used to be somewhat clear cut. I'm hoping a bunch of the IO rifles slipped through without welds on the brakes or something, otherwise this is messed up. WTF?!

i posted here LINK I.O. Inc pic of my muzzle break >>> its welded 8(

also im going down to the Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters tomorrow during the day >>> cause im pretty sure that NJSP will leave all the thugs, drug dealers and terrorists alone just to make sure that all the "evil" AKs are out of the hands of good normal ppl. and if the ppl in the store know anything i will let you know as well

If it has a muzzle break that is not welded or pinned yes it is illegal. Stop telling everyone that all AK47's are illegal.

If it has a muzzle break that is not welded or pinned yes it is illegal. Stop telling everyone that all AK47's are illegal.

the muzzle break is welded. i posted pic of it. and all AK47s are illegal in the State of NJ. we are talking about I.O. Inc rifles that were declared illegal yday or today because NJSP now considers it an AK47.

Guest megaman

I thought there was no registration of rifles?

I was forced to return a banana once because it could be used as an assault weapon...

This would be a great lawsuit. I hope you dont pass the opportunity up to call a lawyer, or the anjrpc.

How many times are these Attorney Generals going to reinterpret the same law? They keep changing what's considered legal and instantly turning law abiding people into criminals.

How has this gone on for almost twenty years without a court declaring this law unreasonably vague?