Jon

Speechless right now...

My family has known Roy since the shop first opened in Plainfield, and he built my fiance's engagement ring to completely custom specs... I really don't know what else to say right now...

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20110207/NJNEWS/110207035/Bridgewater-jewelry-store-owner-robber-shot

Wow. just wow. condolences to the family. It is a damn shame. As the economy struggles, more and more crimes occur. It is a rude awakening and a great loss especially when it hits so close to home. Could of been anyone's store.

Was the owner armed himself? anyone know?

ok, so I was wondering if there would be a thread about this on NJGF ... and there is. I was at work. my wife calls me: there are helicopters hovering over our house. Mind you, behind the small patch of woods in the back of Wegman's is my house! The wife went online - there was a shooting at the shopping plaza. at this point, no one knew anything. I told her: honey, go to the gun safe and open it - and keep it open. I was freaking out at work thinking if I should just leave - then she called me back and told me it's all over - the shooter is dead. This is so weird. I've been in that store looking for gifts for my wife. They were very nice people. So sad...

Roy was a terrific man, and the only jeweler I have ever trusted 150%. I gave him a 1.5ct stone to build an engagement ring around without batting an eye, and it turned out far better than I ever could have imagined. I'm just so shocked, angry, and miserable... couldn't sleep last night at all. The world has lost a great member of society.

Maks - I have never noticed any weapons on Roy or anywhere in the store.

Never leave you gun safe open. Retrieve what you need from your safe and then lock it.

If I was home, I wouldn't. She was home alone and she's likely to panic and forget the code or something (I know my wife) if something were to happen. The safe I meant is well hidden and not at all in plain view (but accessible) - it's only got one pistol in it. Everything else is locked up in a different location, not easily accessible. Good advice though, thanks.

If I was home, I wouldn't. She was home alone and she's likely to panic and forget the code or something (I know my wife) if something were to happen. The safe I meant is well hidden and not at all in plain view (but accessible) - it's only got one pistol in it. Everything else is locked up in a different location, not easily accessible. Good advice though, thanks.

Get a biometric safe, man. Key it to her fingerprints as well as yours. Push 1 button, scan your finger, and you're good.