avc8130

Do FPID and DL Addresses HAVE to Match?

I read on this forum in the marketplace that people require matching addresses on FPID and driver's licenses. Is this ACTUALLY a law?

I recently moved, and have since received my change of address (3 months from NJSP). During that waiting time I went to an FFL and mentioned that my DL and FPID didn't match at the time. He said that there was no law that specifically required them to match to purchase a firearm and he was willing to sell to me. I can't imagine this guy would risk his FFL.

What's the REAL deal?

ac

So you DL has your old address and FID has the new one? If so, just go online to DMV and get the address change stickers.

No, at the time my DL was my NEW address and my FPID was my OLD address...you know...DMV can change address in a matter of minutes, but the NJSP took 3 months on the FPID.

ac

I read somewhere in the NJ Administrative Code that you are required to update your FID within 30 days of moving. If anyone really wants the cite, I'll find it tomorrow.

here:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

So you DL has your old address and FID has the new one? If so, just go online to DMV and get the address change stickers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely pro-gun.....but how could your FID be more important than your DL?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely pro-gun.....but how could your FID be more important than your DL?

I think i misunderstood the OP's situation. When I applied for my FID, my DL had my old address, but I had the stickers on the back of it so there was no problem. I picked up a rifle @ cabelas in PA and they almost didn't let me buy it because the address on the front of my DL didn't match the FID address. They had to call someone to make sure the stickers on the back of the DL were acceptable.

I think i misunderstood the OP's situation. When I applied for my FID, my DL had my old address, but I had the stickers on the back of it so there was no problem. I picked up a rifle @ cabelas in PA and they almost didn't let me buy it because the address on the front of my DL didn't match the FID address. They had to call someone to make sure the stickers on the back of the DL were acceptable.

Okay that's different then. I thought we were referring to having your address changed on FID and not DL. Shoot, when I had to get my address changed I just renewed my license, saves any hassle.

The purpose of my question is to cover the apparent time period where your FPID will not match your DL after moving.

We all agree you have 15 days to change DMV address and 30 to APPLY to change FPID address. Since your FPID change of address could take 90+ days (reality, not legally) there is a period of time where the addresses would not match legally.

Are you forbidden from buying guns at that point?

ac

It depends, I was in a similar situation...My FID had my Street address, but my DL had my PO Box because the MVC said it had to be my mailing address on the DL.

I bought 3 guns like that and the FFL's asked me about it and when I explained the situation they proceeded with the sale. Then I ordered a gun from a dealer and when I went to pick it up he wouldn't complete the sale due to the fact that they did not match. He said if I had something with my street address on it he would sell it to me but I didn't have anything with me at the time with the street address.

So long story short, it is kinda up to the discretion of the dealer.

PAGE 3

I read that, and I still don't agree that the address on the IDs have to match WORD FOR WORD. They just have to point to the same physical "place of residence".

My FPID says I live in Fredon, NJ...because I do.

My NJDL says I live in Newton, NJ...because I do.

If you look up my house in public records, you find I live in Fredon, NJ.

If you send me a letter to my address in Newton, NJ I get it.

Both my NJDL and my FPID have my residence address on them. They are both "valid" as per their issuing authorities.

This is why it drives me batty when everyone says the address must "match". They must both point to the person's residence, but in our crazy state that means they might not "match".

ac

here:

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

And if you wait over 30 days the PD can deny your FID duplicate request.

There is no requirement to have a DL at all. You may need a matching government issued ID. Planning ahead:

Get an ID card from the county in which you live. It will match you FID. If you move apply for an updated FID to match your updated DL. Your old FID and county ID will match. Not totally Kosher but ..............

You can apply for an FPID when ever you want! The statute is for a duplicate of an already acquired FPID. Which would mean to me they just give you a new one with updated info.... not sure... most PD's just make you apply for a new FPID not a duplicate, and honestly it probably takes the same amount of time. Has anyone actually applied for a duplicate? what the difference between applying for a duplicate and just re-applying.

It depends, I was in a similar situation...My FID had my Street address, but my DL had my PO Box because the MVC said it had to be my mailing address on the DL.

I bought 3 guns like that and the FFL's asked me about it and when I explained the situation they proceeded with the sale. Then I ordered a gun from a dealer and when I went to pick it up he wouldn't complete the sale due to the fact that they did not match. He said if I had something with my street address on it he would sell it to me but I didn't have anything with me at the time with the street address.

So long story short, it is kinda up to the discretion of the dealer.

I thought you had to fall into some exception to get your mailing address like a PO box on your DL? They want a physical address unless you have a reason. Per title 39.

I thought you had to fall into some exception to get your mailing address like a PO box on your DL? They want a physical address unless you have a reason. Per title 39.

With post 9/11 addresses, the Rural Routes went away and NJ requires a physical address on your DL now. However, the physical address must be something you have proof of address for. Proof of address is generally based on the mail system. So, you can have your mailing address on your DL provided it is a physical address and not a PO box.

Interestingly enough, when you get your DL you have to provide proof of address, but the VERY NEXT DAY you can change your address online.

ac

With post 9/11 addresses, the Rural Routes went away and NJ requires a physical address on your DL now. However, the physical address must be something you have proof of address for. Proof of address is generally based on the mail system. So, you can have your mailing address on your DL provided it is a physical address and not a PO box.

This would seem to not be the case.

I can think of a few NJ DLs I have seen within the past 6 months that had a PO box as the address. It is certainly rare, but there must be a way it is possible.

This would seem to not be the case.

I can think of a few NJ DLs I have seen within the past 6 months that had a PO box as the address. It is certainly rare, but there must be a way it is possible.

Apathy on the part of DMV workers...it's actually a title 39 violation to have a PO box on your Dl

• Like 1

There is no requirement to have a DL at all. You may need a matching government issued ID. Planning ahead:

Get an ID card from the county in which you live. It will match you FID. If you move apply for an updated FID to match your updated DL. Your old FID and county ID will match. Not totally Kosher but ..............

I agree what if you don't have a DL?

I read somewhere in the NJ Administrative Code that you are required to update your FID within 30 days of moving. If anyone really wants the cite, I'll find it tomorrow.

Yes, of course you are required to update your FID card within 30 days, however it may take the town much longer than that to process the application and issue you a new card with the current address. I had this issue last time I moved, I let the gun I had ordered sit at the dealer until both my drivers license and FID card matched. Just remember, you live in NJ, maybe it is or maybe it isn't permissable to purchase a gun without having the adresses matching on both ID types, but is it worth it to risk it and possibly get jammed up for an unlawful transfer. I did contact the State Police and ask if it was permissable and got no response.

Yes, of course you are required to update your FID card within 30 days, however it may take the town much longer than that to process the application and issue you a new card with the current address. I had this issue last time I moved, I let the gun I had ordered sit at the dealer until both my drivers license and FID card matched. Just remember, you live in NJ, maybe it is or maybe it isn't permissable to purchase a gun without having the adresses matching on both ID types, but is it worth it to risk it and possibly get jammed up for an unlawful transfer. I did contact the State Police and ask if it was permissable and got no response.

Nothing states that you are required to update your FPID. If you move, it becomes invalid, and you can apply for a duplicate with the updated info, but it must be within 30 days. If you choose not to request a duplicate, or 30 days passes, you can either do nothing, where as you no longer posses a valid FPID, or you can just re-apply for one. I have no idea what the difference is between re-applying or requesting a duplicate, if i had to guess it's probably the same process and takes the town the same time to issue the new FPID. So the 30 day rule is kind of a moot point.

• Like 1

Theoretically, simply moving should not require a full investigation for your "Change of Address" FPID. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the interpretation the NJSP seem to follow.

I'm also not sure I agree with the FPID being "invalid". You have 30 days to APPLY for an updated card. I don't see why the simple process of moving within the state would suddenly make you ineligible to purchase a long gun.

ac