NJJim

Herbert Leroy Stout FFL ---NFG

I have had four firearms shipped to and transferred by Mr. Stout in the past two years. Always good service.

Today I called Mr. Stout to arrange a handgun transfer and he asked when was the last purchase. OK. I reminded him he handled the transfer on July 11, 2011. The gun should arrive here in NJ on Thursday or Friday and Thursday will thirty one days. Mr. Stout insists that we wait a "couple extra days to be safe". I say the eleventh is 31 days it is safe to do it then. He repeats must wait a couple extra days. I said I want to pick it up as soon as it is legal. He repeats must wait extra days. I say I will have to arrange for a different FFL. He says "Well f... you then." and hangs up the phone.

I take back my recommendations. I will never call him again!

Well, you are correct if your last handgun purchase was on July 11th. You are six days behind me on my cycle...... You are allowed to pickup your next handgun on August 11th. I buy handguns and have them sent to my FFL and have had to wait for months before I was able to pick them up. He has never complained. He also knows I will not show-up to pick one up until the 30 day waiting period is over. He would actually have no idea if I had used a permit elsewhere since last seeing him. I have a calender that is marked-up with when I picked a certain gun up and when I can get the next one. I know that NICS has approved people and let them buy handguns with only a few weeks between purchases. I don't rely on them to keep-track of that 30 day rule.

So, if you need the name of a great guy to deal with in the Wall area, I can give you one. There are a LOT of people out there that can provide this service. Looks like you'll be looking for a new one. Don't forget about the people on this forum, they can also provide the service. Look to see who is reasonably close to where you live and give them a call.

Wow..this seems hard to believe. I did my first handgun transfer with Mr Stout last month and he couldnt have been more professional, friendly and cordial.

I plan on using him again shortly for a Smith Model 19-3 4"

NJ JIM, what would be the harm in waiting a few extra days anyway? Mr Stout may have just being extra cautious and maybe a red flag went up in his

mind when you insisted you must have it on the 11th.

The timing kinda matters when you are trying to plan-out paying for handguns and taking delivery of them. This state makes it a royal PITA to buy and/or collect handguns, and for what reason?

I plan on having a minimum of 4 handguns paid-for and waiting pickup soon and will be applying for the exemption once I have my purchase permits in my hands, unless I can actually file sooner, which I will call the State Police about tomorrow.

NJ JIM, what would be the harm in waiting a few extra days anyway? Mr Stout may have just being extra cautious and maybe a red flag went up in his mind when you insisted you must have it on the 11th.

Ya know, next time you go to the store and you have to pay tax on an untaxable item, what's the harm, just pay your 7% and shut up.

It's not the law - that's the harm. Not to mention it's a stupid stupid law. You show me one (as the police call them in reports) Actor who will go, apply for a permit, wait for 6, 8, 12, 24, 52 weeks, whatever to legally buy a gun - and only buy one every thirty days. RIIIIIGHT. Another law enacted to entrap otherwise law abiding men. :rolleyes:

This is a law simply designed to make NJ a NO GUN zone. Taking the law and making it 31 or 32 days - hey, why not make it 60 days JUST TO BE SAFE. Yeah - how's that one rub you?

AR's are a gray area? WTF!

We have enough misinformation in this state that this just makes our law abiding lives even more difficult. There's no basis in law for what this FFL is doing, NONE. AT. ALL.

• Like 2

Well said Dan, hope this guy loses lots of business and has to bring in those damn black guns to help his struggling income. Mark him off as NEVER USE THIS GUY. Hey, maybe have that in a locked thread.

Well, I will be using Mr. Stout again with no reservations. My experience with him was very positive.

ask him to transfer you an AR, if he says no dump him. You dump him and dump him fast. No need for anti-gun FFLs in this state. We have plenty anti-gun politicians and citizens.

• Like 2

Just to play devil's advocate, it is those who passed OGAM who put Mr. Stout in a position where he is so afraid, that he feels that he must risk losing customers rather than risk violating the law. I'm not excusing his actions, but let's remember to keep our focus on the root cause. We're all on the same team. I would rather not see a wedge driven between gun purchasers and retailers over this, or any other issue. That's exactly what they want -- to keep us fighting amongst ourselves.

• Like 1

Well, you are correct if your last handgun purchase was on July 11th. You are six days behind me on my cycle...... You are allowed to pickup your next handgun on August 11th. I buy handguns and have them sent to my FFL and have had to wait for months before I was able to pick them up. He has never complained. He also knows I will not show-up to pick one up until the 30 day waiting period is over. He would actually have no idea if I had used a permit elsewhere since last seeing him. I have a calender that is marked-up with when I picked a certain gun up and when I can get the next one. I know that NICS has approved people and let them buy handguns with only a few weeks between purchases. I don't rely on them to keep-track of that 30 day rule.

So, if you need the name of a great guy to deal with in the Wall area, I can give you one. There are a LOT of people out there that can provide this service. Looks like you'll be looking for a new one. Don't forget about the people on this forum, they can also provide the service. Look to see who is reasonably close to where you live and give them a call.

Not any more, they have a computer program to track it down to the minute. I've heard dealers say that people were denied in the morning and told by NICS to come back in the afternoon and they will be approved.

The timing kinda matters when you are trying to plan-out paying for handguns and taking delivery of them. This state makes it a royal PITA to buy and/or collect handguns, and for what reason?

I plan on having a minimum of 4 handguns paid-for and waiting pickup soon and will be applying for the exemption once I have my purchase permits in my hands, unless I can actually file sooner, which I will call the State Police about tomorrow.

You can apply for the exemption at any time, you don't need to wait for the permits first. You will need the all serial numbers to file the exemption though.

Wow..this seems hard to believe. I did my first handgun transfer with Mr Stout last month and he couldnt have been more professional, friendly and cordial.

NJ JIM, what would be the harm in waiting a few extra days anyway? Mr Stout may have just being extra cautious and maybe a red flag went up in his

That's just rediculous. I plan my purchases and have an entire year set up on a calender should I be purchasing one a month. There is no way I am waiting a few extra days. That would make it even more of a PITA to use ^ permits in 6 months.

Besides, I would never tolerate a guy that I am paying for a service to talk to me like that. EEEFFFFFFFFFFF HIM!

To each his own but don't say you weren't warned.

Well said Dan, hope this guy loses lots of business and has to bring in those damn black guns to help his struggling income. Mark him off as NEVER USE THIS GUY. Hey, maybe have that in a locked thread.

He committed the ultimate sin in business, you can't lose your cool when a customer annoys you and tell them "F--- you". A bad reputation will torpedo your business fast - look at the bad publicity he's getting here. As much as it may hurt to kiss a**, he should have said "I sorry I couldn't help you" or something to that effect.

YES, you are absolutely right, he should have not use vulgarities to the customer.

It's not just about using vulgar words (which to some customers wouldn't matter) it's that fact that he directed a nasty personal insult to a (now former) customer.

Not any more, they have a computer program to track it down to the minute. I've heard dealers say that people were denied in the morning and told by NICS to come back in the afternoon and they will be approved.

How recent? I happen to know a police officer that bought two handguns within 30 days of each other. He did not ask for any special treatment being on the job either. Does NICS extend special treatment to them? He is actually nervous because he did not realize it was a 30-day rule, not one per month.............

Most of us here on this forum know far more about the rules concerning firearms in this state than those in law enforcement. We know what we know because we research it and ask questions to avoid trouble. LEO's have a whole lot more to concern themselves with besides firearms their stupid laws in this state. I would hope that once in awhile the bossman in charge of the police squad would have a meeting with them and discuss new laws and such.

My FFL has a couple of AR's sitting in his basement for sale. I know Paul at PK Arms has a lot of cool stuff in his shop for sale, including AK-variants. These guys know what is legal and what isn't, can't say that about all of them. FFL's can certainly err on the side of caution, I don't blame them. Cursing at customers is un-called for and will cost them a lot of business. Simply tell them they can't help them with that particular item and move-on.

Leroy has been an FFL for 54 years!!! He recently was visited by ATF and NJSP for a records check!!! I don't blame him for being a LITTLE hesitant! This is NJ and they will love to shut an FFL down. OCEAN TACTICAL's FFL was pulled by ATF also. I have known Leroy for a few years and he is a VERY polite Gentleman. However when pushed-- He can respond as well as anyone! JMHO.

I would never do business with any FFL who would refuses to sell AR type firearms.

This man is not afraid of the law, because as to ARs, the NJ state police have made it very clear with their opinion letters what is OK. He is trying to impose his opinion of what guns people should and should not own upon the buyer. That makes him an anti in my book. He deserves to get the Zumbo treatment.

As I said, I've recommended Stout many times in the past. Red flag? We have acquaintances in common. I was referred to him three years ago by a long time customer of his. On my last visit we did the paperwork and chatted for 20 minutes or so, while he showed off an antique pistol he just acquired. He knows me from past transactions. The last time I transferred a firearm through him, I had to call him and ask about doing the transaction. I followed the tracking from UPS and he made believe he didn't know it was delivered. That said, I had no reason not to plan my next transfer to be with him. As far as "extra cautious", it's not too hard to count thirty days and know it is legal for me to pick up another gun.

Leroy has been an FFL for 54 years!!! He recently was visited by ATF and NJSP for a records check!!! I don't blame him for being a LITTLE hesitant! This is NJ and they will love to shut an FFL down. OCEAN TACTICAL's FFL was pulled by ATF also. I have known Leroy for a few years and he is a VERY polite Gentleman. However when pushed-- He can respond as well as anyone! JMHO.

Mr. Stout was not pushed very hard. He could have retained my business if he was civil. I asked what do you mean a couple of days to be safe? Is it one in thirty days or not? I assured him the eleventh of August would be thirty one days since my last transfer. He responded "you're not listening I want to wait a couple extra days!". That is when I said "I don't want to wait, I'll have to use someone else for this one." The next sound was him saying "f..k you then".

Yeah, very polite gentleman. He was until now.

Bottom line is if I let the FFL know when I can use my permit, that is the end all be all. I am not waiting a few extra days and certainly not letting him talk to me like "your not listening". No I am listening and so long a$$wipe.

• Like 1

Bottom line is if I let the FFL know when I can use my permit, that is the end all be all. I am not waiting a few extra days and certainly not letting him talk to me like "your not listening". No I am listening and so long a$$wipe.

Damn right

How recent? I happen to know a police officer that bought two handguns within 30 days of each other. He did not ask for any special treatment being on the job either. Does NICS extend special treatment to them? He is actually nervous because he did not realize it was a 30-day rule, not one per month.............

Most of us here on this forum know far more about the rules concerning firearms in this state than those in law enforcement. We know what we know because we research it and ask questions to avoid trouble. LEO's have a whole lot more to concern themselves with besides firearms their stupid laws in this state. I would hope that once in awhile the bossman in charge of the police squad would have a meeting with them and discuss new laws and such.

In the last two months give or take.

There is some sort of automatic exemption for LEOs from OGAM if the purchase is work related, I don't know the exact details since I'm not a LEO and can't use it.

Ive used Mr Stout in the past....He isnt that far from my house, so he is convienent.....however he will not transfer any modern military type of weapons, such as an AR or AK....He said straight up he doesnt know the law on them , and he plays it safe...He says he doesnt do military weapons....when I asked him about a 1911 pistol or a M1 Garand...arent those military guns?..he told me not to be a smart a**.....I called him recently about doing a transfer of a semi gun....that hasnt been used by the military in many decades....he just never called back...

Sounds like he is in the business just for the money.

Ive used Mr Stout in the past....He isnt that far from my house, so he is convienent.....however he will not transfer any modern military type of weapons, such as an AR or AK....He said straight up he doesnt know the law on them , and he plays it safe...He says he doesnt do military weapons....when I asked him about a 1911 pistol or a M1 Garand...arent those military guns?..he told me not to be a smart a**.....I called him recently about doing a transfer of a semi gun....that hasnt been used by the military in many decades....he just never called back...