Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Registering an AR lower receiver as a pistol...

So... I understand AR pistols are legal in NJ unless they meet certain requirements...

But do these requirements apply to the "pistol" as a whole? Or just the lower receiver? Seeing as the part with the serial number is the actual "gun" part, do Federal and NJ laws only apply to that?

As for the weight requirement... does the apply to the gun at purchase? Or for it's entire lifetime? What if I add a bunch of crap to my revolver and put it over the weight limit? Is it then illegal? What if I get a Bushmaster Carbon-15 pistol and add an optic to it?

So... I understand AR pistols are legal in NJ unless they meet certain requirements...

But do these requirements apply to the "pistol" as a whole? Or just the lower receiver? Seeing as the part with the serial number is the actual "gun" part, do Federal and NJ laws only apply to that?

As for the weight requirement... does the apply to the gun at purchase? Or for it's entire lifetime? What if I add a bunch of crap to my revolver and put it over the weight limit? Is it then illegal? What if I get a Bushmaster Carbon-15 pistol and add an optic to it?

The Weight Limit only applies to Semiautomatic handguns where the magazine has a well separate from the Pistol Grip..Revolvers Don't matter

I BELIEVE that the Limit is for the handgun as delivered by the Factory. An optic added to it afterwards SHOULD Not make a difference. That said, there are AP's who i wouldnt trust NOT to try that type of case.

IMO the whole thing falls into a MAJOR Gray Area. As it is we can take parts and Assemble them into Rifles pretty much at will, and it is NOT Manufacturing as long as we use a Pre-made and transferred Receiver. I think that there MAY be an issue if you use an "Other" receiver, which is transferred without a P2P to do a build for a Pistol. Again "I" Wouldnt make an issue about it, but the possibility exists, ESPECIALLY with our Current Ag that someone might want to make a case out of that.

My OWN PERSONAL OPINION: If you want to do an AR pistol buld, Go ahead and Do so..but Cover your a** by doing it on a Registered Pistol Lower, Plus, again My opinion ONLY, Do it on a Carbon Lower, or maybe a PlumCrazy lower, just because of the weight Issue

So... I understand AR pistols are legal in NJ unless they meet certain requirements... Correct

But do these requirements apply to the "pistol" as a whole? Yes Or just the lower receiver? No Seeing as the part with the serial number is the actual "gun" part, do Federal and NJ laws only apply to that? A pistol is the controlled part.

As for the weight requirement... does the apply to the gun at purchase? Manufacturered weight Or for it's entire lifetime? IMO, as a working build. What if I add a bunch of crap to my revolver and put it over the weight limit? Revolvers don't matter. Is it then illegal? No What if I get a Bushmaster Carbon-15 pistol and add an optic to it? Legal

A stripped AR lower can be sold as a receiver and built into a pistol. The 4473 will indicate that a receiver only was sold, if it was logged in as a receiver. A Pistol Permit must be used to take possession. The builder must follow the NJAG Guideline.

The now discontinued swiss cheese Olympic Arms AR pistol is legal. Also, the discontinued Professional Ordnance AR pistol is legal. Your best bet is the Bushmaster.

My link

I've been looking for a legal bushmaster, but since they moved I can't find any in stock anywhere. You wouldn't happen to have one do you?

There are people who love them. I found it a novelty.

I have two that I transferred through PK90

One is a pre-Bushmaster Professional Ordinance

The other is a current Bushmaster

They are fun as hell to shoot and attract a lot of attention at the range when I take them out

The factory ghost ring sights really suck, so having the optional optics rail and an Eotech or 30mm red dot is almost a necessity

I use a single point (rear of receiver) non-stretch sling loop to maintain push-tension for a rock steady hold

For non-trigger hand grip, I use either a traditional 2 handed grip on the Hogue pistol grip or I hold the mag with my off-hand

Both "Thunder" and "Lightning" like Wolf, so that's typically what I shoot

Both have had their issues (like any specialty machine does), but nothing so seriously expensive as to be a deal breaker

Keep your eyes open online for a used one in the $600-750 range and snap it up!

I have two that I transferred through PK90

One is a pre-Bushmaster Professional Ordinance

The other is a current Bushmaster

They are fun as hell to shoot and attract a lot of attention at the range when I take them out

The factory ghost ring sights really suck, so having the optional optics rail and an Eotech or 30mm red dot is almost a necessity

I use a single point (rear of receiver) non-stretch sling loop to maintain push-tension for a rock steady hold

For non-trigger hand grip, I use either a traditional 2 handed grip on the Hogue pistol grip or I hold the mag with my off-hand

Both "Thunder" and "Lightning" like Wolf, so that's typically what I shoot

Both have had their issues (like any specialty machine does), but nothing so seriously expensive as to be a deal breaker

Keep your eyes open online for a used one in the $600-750 range and snap it up!

What about things like the flash hider? Those still need to be NJ neutered right? Even since it's a pistol and not a rifle?

I just got off the phone with Bushmaster. They no longer produce the Carbon 15 Type 97 Post-Ban AR Pistol. They are building a new one called the Viper. Unfortunately, it weighs over 50 ounces.

Flash hiders are legal on pistols. The barrels on these AR pistols are not threaded.

The ProOrd has a multi-set-screwed muzzle brake on its non-threaded barrel

It also serves to hold the front sight / gas block in place

The BM has a quick-connect (similar to pneumatic fittings) on its stainless non-threaded barrel

The factory provided an integrated QD/muzzle brake installed

The previous owner purchased a QD/male thread adapter and attached an A2 flash hider with crush washer for him to use in his non-ban state

Makes quite a difference in the muzzle flash, as I've observed!

eta: Flash hiders are just another evil feature

In the case of these pistols, the quota of evil features is used up by the mag attaching OUTSIDE the pistol grip

So my flash hider is for use in America, not the Glorious PRNJ

:icon_e_confused:

Just to clarify, a flash hider is NOT an evil feature for a semi-auto pistol.

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

4. manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

5. a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm;

I just got off the phone with Bushmaster. They no longer produce the Carbon 15 Type 97 Post-Ban AR Pistol. They are building a new one called the Viper. Unfortunately, it weighs over 50 ounces.

So if we want one we're SOL unless we can find one used?