msg73

Thoughts on Trius ST1 one step thrower...

I'm looking to get an inexpensive clay thrower (mostly shooting by myself) and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the Trius ST1 one step thrower. I would need something that I can operate/shoot by myself. I also have limited trunk space so I can't have something too big. I considered an electronic thrower but I don't shoot too often and am not sure it would be worth the extra money. The one I considered is the do all white wing for $300. Is this thrower worth it over the Trius one step? Thanks

edit: I just found the do-all white wing for $255 shipped from www.ohya.com

Never heard of this site but at that price, it may be worth considering over a spring trap.

I bought a Trius ST2 clay thrower. I had used Lunkers at a local State shooting range and really enjoyed how easy it was.

Just recently, Lunker, NJPilot and Myself were at Colliers Mills and were told we can't shoot skeet, Trap and/ or clays at Colliers. This stinks and I have no use for my Clay thrower anymore. It is brand new in the box and your welcome to buy it if you like.

Otherwise, I will be returning it to Cabelas.

Let me know if your interested.

I have a Trius - not the step kind, the old kind that you "spring up" manually. I would lean toward the electric - it's much more fun to tap a button with your hand or foot to launch the next clay rather than any of the other options. The electric really is a one man operation.

Malsua as well as a few of the other guys on the forum have an electric that they bought online that was a fairly good deal.

The throwers that you push into the ground, or mount to a spare tire, leave something to be desired. If you push it into the ground, it will sometimes end up coming out of the ground. Also, if the ground is wet, it isn't that secure and if the ground is very dry, it is difficult to stake in. My friend had one and it was ok...it was a pain in the butt and it felt like you had to concentrate more on if this thing was going to be secure or not than concentrate on having fun shooting clays. Throwing strength was just ok, it launched the clay out fast enough to shoot but nothing compared to better throwers, even other manual throwers. The spare tire mount seems to be ok, but you get wobble from the tire unless you get a big spare tire which isn't efficient if you have a small car or hatchback.

If you want a really nice manual thrower, check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Trius-Trap-Master-Swivel-Seat/dp/B00162MIR4

I bought that from a website which I can't seem to recall but I do remember I was lucky enough to get it on sale with free shipping for $99. This thing is AWESOME. Super easy to put together, super easy to use, and it throws clays out HARD. I would say most clays that you miss land about 80+yds away. I love it because it's basically two big pieces and it's very easy to transport, and I have a hatchback! It can throw singles, doubles, or triples, if you know how to place the clays correctly. It's also on a pivot so you can turn about 120 degrees left or right to switch up where you want the clay to be thrown. AND it has height adjustment so you can launch the clay 8ft off the ground or 30feet off the ground.

The Do-All white wing you're looking at is nice, but I have never thought about getting one because my friends and I get enjoyment out of manual throwers. Plus you can mix up doubles to single or singles to triples, it's awesome. Plus they are a little pricey, although $250 isn't too bad, but it is difficult to transport them when you have limited trunk space.

I have this one : http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CM409101

It has a $50 rebate and shipping is about $50 so it's a wash.

It has been pretty much trouble free. Caine also has one.

You do need some trunk space for it.

My only complaint is I'd like to have one of the oscillators, which is an advantage of a manual thrower since you can move it back and forth on the throwing arm. Speed wise, you will shot a lot more with an electric.

You can see mine in operation here towards the end of the video:

I have this one : http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CM409101

It has a $50 rebate and shipping is about $50 so it's a wash.

It has been pretty much trouble free. Caine also has one.

You do need some trunk space for it.

My only complaint is I'd like to have one of the oscillators, which is an advantage of a manual thrower since you can move it back and forth on the throwing arm. Speed wise, you will shot a lot more with an electric.

You can see mine in operation here towards the end of the video:

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. It seems like a better unit over the Do-All White Wing.

Chris - If you plan to shoot by yourself, take a look at the Trius ST1. You step on the pedal instead of pulling a string. I saw it for $91 shipped on Amazon.com

My Champion Easybird electronic thrower should be arriving tomorrow. Maybe we can meet up and shoot some clays off of it. Let me know when you plan to go to CR.

Mike

Chris - If you plan to shoot by yourself, take a look at the Trius ST1. You step on the pedal instead of pulling a string. I saw it for $91 shipped on Amazon.com

My Champion Easybird electronic thrower should be arriving tomorrow. Maybe we can meet up and shoot some clays off of it. Let me know when you plan to go to CR.

Mike

Mike did you try the thrower out? I think i might order the same one now instead of a manual one. 279 shipped seems really good. Why bother spending 100 on a manual. Let me know how you like it or anyone else who has it. The video seems like its fast.

Mike did you try the thrower out? I think i might order the same one now instead of a manual one. 279 shipped seems really good. Why bother spending 100 on a manual. Let me know how you like it or anyone else who has it. The video seems like its fast.

You do realize the video posted here is my video and it was taken at Cherry Ridge? If it was a piece of junk, I couldn't recommend it. It's a good thrower. Getting it adjusted the first time is all that is really required. There's a switch at the front underneath that has to be in the right place, other than that it's smooth sailing. Also, the little arm that the spring hooks too is a pain to hook the first time because when you tilt the machine up, the arm flips around to the back and you can't see it. You only do that one time ever, so no biggie there.

My question is why is it so cheap at natchez though? Is there something wrong with then from there or old? Everywhere else they are near 400. thats why I'm questioning it like its to good to be true. Video makes it look very fast.

No idea but if I had to guess it's because it's a loss leader. They sell you this model and kill you on the oscillator, wobbler and carry cart.

3 members here at NJGF have this same exact model. Myself, Caine and NJ-tom. Caine and Me both bought from Natchezss at this exact price point. Natchezss is a straight up outfit, they don't sell garbage nor do they rip you off.

The Champion company is a pleasure to deal with if you have any issues.

Just checking this doesn't not come with a battery correct? Shipping weight says 89lbs but unit is 45lbs. Thats what makes me think it might but didn't know so I want to be prepared.

No battery. You'll need to get a standard deep cycle 12v. It really doesn't use much juice so you don't need a big one. You'll also need a charger of some kind.

Got plenty of chargers and tenders.no problem using any old car battery right? Can get used ones that will hold a charge for nothing.

Since standard car starting batteries are not really designed for discharging below 80% of full, you would theoretically damage the battery if you ran it several thousand throws without a recharge.

The most I've ever run through mine in one day was about 4 boxes(4x135), so roughly 550 throws(you get the occasional fail to drop and a few tests). Even that isn't enough to drain more than 10-15% out of a battery so using a starter battery will probably be ok for you. I would make sure you charge it after a use at the range. I also use my battery as a backup for the fans on my fireplace insert during power outages, so it can get very discharged and hence why I have a deep cycle battery in the first place.

My Champion EasyBird arrived (super fast shipping from Natchez) last week. The unit came bolted on a piece of plywood, so I decided to leave it and not install the legs. I just clamp the unit/plywood onto the tables at the shotgun range at CR. This makes it have a lower profile (easier to fit in a car trunk) and is a bit lighter. Out of the box, all I did was assemble the feeder and install the spring. I didn't have to make any adjustments to it. It threw great and I'm very pleased with it. It did break a few clays upon throwing. No big deal as I didn't have to stop and do anything...just press the pedal again to feed another one. Maybe it was the clays (white flyers) or it could be the clay retention spring. I noticed that it put a decent amount of pressure on the clays against the feeder. As for the power source, I just used one of those 12v portable car jump starters. It doesn't take too much juice so there's no need to lug a huge car battery. All in all, I would definitely buy it again. -Mike

I don't know anything about this product or shooting clays but I this thread has gotten me interested more so than I was before, add in I could do this without needing a second person there is another advantage.

Now I was wondering if I would be able to mount one of the luggage trays you can mount into a Class III hitch, I was thinking I could mount the thrower on something like this, set up a power source right from the vehicle, could back it right to the edge of the range, load and start throwing and shooting.

Is this doable or not the best option?

Harry

My Champion EasyBird arrived (super fast shipping from Natchez) last week. The unit came bolted on a piece of plywood, so I decided to leave it and not install the legs. I just clamp the unit/plywood onto the tables at the shotgun range at CR. This makes it have a lower profile (easier to fit in a car trunk) and is a bit lighter. Out of the box, all I did was assemble the feeder and install the spring. I didn't have to make any adjustments to it. It threw great and I'm very pleased with it. It did break a few clays upon throwing. No big deal as I didn't have to stop and do anything...just press the pedal again to feed another one. Maybe it was the clays (white flyers) or it could be the clay retention spring. I noticed that it put a decent amount of pressure on the clays against the feeder. As for the power source, I just used one of those 12v portable car jump starters. It doesn't take too much juice so there's no need to lug a huge car battery. All in all, I would definitely buy it again. -Mike

I've found that if the clays are damp, they're more prone to break. Also, the way in which you load that first one at the bottom matters. NJ-tom was having trouble with that on his unit which is on the wheel cart. It was shaking too hard and because they didn't fall quite right, they broke right out of the magazine. One thing to keep in mind is that even high-end throwers at regulation trap houses will break clays. It's not often but it happens.

I don't know anything about this product or shooting clays but I this thread has gotten me interested more so than I was before, add in I could do this without needing a second person there is another advantage.

Now I was wondering if I would be able to mount one of the luggage trays you can mount into a Class III hitch, I was thinking I could mount the thrower on something like this, set up a power source right from the vehicle, could back it right to the edge of the range, load and start throwing and shooting.

Is this doable or not the best option?

Harry

Harry, I'd be concerned that it'd wobble too much. Most of the things in those hitches have some slop. The clay thrower needs to be stable. Shake in the magazine will cause clays to break.