chuckdeez

Bersa Thunder 22 review

I had been debating a 22. semi purchase for some time. Like many, I considered the gsg/sig 1911, ruger mk111/22/45, and s&w m&p 22. When all was said and done I just wanted something to punch paper and do cheap double taps and mag dumps fairly accurately. If I want to slowly make 25 yard bullseye shots, first I'll learn to shoot, than I'll pull out my 617-1. I paid 300 OTD, delivered from Buds to Lincoln Park True Value for $40 transfer total plus $260 for the gun. Out of the box the fit and finish looked great for a $260 gun. Includes one 10 rd mag, $30 each extra around the web, when available. Ive shot approx 200 minimags out of it since then, and one solitary magazine of some random bulk pack federal "high velocity". All rounds fed, ignited, and ejected flawlessly. I was super surprised the federal bulk worked fine, although it was labeled high velocity. I thought this gun would be minimags or better only. Too early to tell but that was a promising sign. The pin strikes seemed lighter than my 22/45 and 617, but no problems at all. Rear sight appears adjustable for windage. The gun is equipped with a safety/decocker. Once you decock the hammer on a chambered round, the trigger is disabled until you disengage the safety. It does not drop direct to a double action first pull. I haven't been shooting long, but I would say the gun has paper plate accuracy out to 25 yards easy, and at 15 yards I was able to put an entire magazine into about a 3 inch circle offhand. The rest of the groups below were double taps and rapid fire strings. This was the only target I thought to bring home today. All in all super stoked for the money.

img0473ya.th.jpg

img0465mh.th.jpg

img0469os.th.jpg

img0470nc.th.jpg

Congratulations on the new gun and it sounds like you happy with it.

One think I do see is in the picture of the feed ramp, take a look at it, it looks like at the top of the feed ramp is a slight lip to get over to feed all the way in. This may not be a problem at all with round nose bullets but a lot of cheap bulk ammo is HP and they can catch and not feed right. The people who have the most problems that I know of at the Walther P22 owners. However there is a fix, while some people have said they have had great results in using a Dremmel with a #9910 bit if I remember correctly I would rather use a stone. Not a lot of material will need to be removed, just a very little and that should take care of any feed issues. To Note: That is if you have any feed issues with HP ammo in the first place, I just mentioned it being the feed ramp to barrel looks exactly like my Walther.

I've already been banned from bersa chat. The first sleeve of minimags I ran through it were HP's and they fed fine, every one of them. I wont even think about messing with it until I have problems. So far, I only had an hitch during feeding when I rode the slide home on the first round instead of using the slide stop release. The actual feeding during firing was flawless.

Thanks for the review.

I have been looking into getting one and did my research. They seem very nice.

Since you have one, how is the fit and finish? I am thinking of getting the nickel plated model.

The price is a bit inexpensive, so I was wondering if the fit and finish is sub-par.

And last but not least, does it look like a Walther PPK? I like the Bersa, b/c its looks like a PPK in the pictures! And shoots 22 lr!

Thanks for the review.I have been looking into getting one and did my research. They seem very nice.Since you have one, how is the fit and finish?

As to fit, I would say impressive. The frame to slide looks tight as does the slide to barrel. Enough that I would say this gun probably requires being run a bit wetter than most. After about 100 rounds or so I could hear & feel the powder residue and rimfire crud when I racked the slide. It did not affect function, at least not between 100-150 rounds. As to finish, time will tell. I can see mild finish wear on the rear slide rail, hammer and top of beavertail where the hammer falls back. I believe its safe to say I will teach myself how to duracoat using this pistol. I dont know how widespread it is, but I read some things on bersa chat about some finish issues with the nickel models, specifically that the nickel coating on the barrels. Ammonia based (hoppes)cleaners may have had somethign to do with it.

Yes, it looks much like a PPK as the pictures show.