DTtuner

.308 Battle Rifle Photo Shoot!!

Ah yes, forgot to mention Saiga .308.

How far of a target have you shot with it?

I've shot it at a 300 yard range. It's been a while but I think it was a 10 or 12 inch bullseye target and hit it consistently with steel cased Brown Bear. Iron sights, prone, with sling support.

My FAL started out as one of DSA's G1 clones. It sucked to shoot, so I swapped the wood G1 stock for this plastic one from DSA. The G1 stock had a pronounced 'hump back' - the rifle punched me in the face every time I pulled the trigger, LOL!

After changing the stock the rifle was far more comfortable to shoot, so it got more range time. Consequently, I began to find other things that needed to be 'fixed'...

The G1 handguards are steel. They get hot very quicky, so I switched to a plastic set from DSA. The G1 grip angle sucks, so that got switched for a SAW grip - also from DSA.

The bipod got axed and so did the carry handle - they're worthless anyhow.

The biggest change was shortening the barrel and installing the compensator. The G1 barrel was over 23 inches long (including the permanent dummy flash hider). I shortened the barrel to a little over 16", crowned & threaded it and then silver soldered the new brake on.

The final touch was to sand-blast & re-paint the front end of the rifle from the sling swivel forward. I used the same DuraCoat stuff that DSA does, so it's a perfect match.

P1000512.jpg

P1000516.jpg

My FAL started out as one of DSA's G1 clones. It sucked to shoot, so I swapped the wood G1 stock for this plastic one from DSA. The G1 stock had a pronounced 'hump back' - the rifle punched me in the face every time I pulled the trigger, LOL!

After changing the stock the rifle was far more comfortable to shoot, so it got more range time. Consequently, I began to find other things that needed to be 'fixed'...

The G1 handguards are steel. They get hot very quicky, so I switched to a plastic set from DSA. The G1 grip angle sucks, so that got switched for a SAW grip - also from DSA.

The bipod got axed and so did the carry handle - they're worthless anyhow.

The biggest change was shortening the barrel and installing the compensator. The G1 barrel was over 23 inches long (including the permanent dummy flash hider). I shortened the barrel to a little over 16", crowned & threaded it and then silver soldered the new brake on.

The final touch was to sand-blast & re-paint the front end of the rifle from the sling swivel forward. I used the same DuraCoat stuff that DSA does, so it's a perfect match.

P1000512.jpg

P1000516.jpg

Oh man, that's beautiful. Great job on the rifle!

Any chance you know how much it weighs?

Oh man, that's beautiful. Great job on the rifle!

Any chance you know how much it weighs?

Thanks. My only regret is that I did the barrel work just before the folks at Battlecomp released their .30 cal compensator. I would have used their part instead of the Voltor comp I wound up using. Eventually I'll re-barrel the rifle and use the Battlecomp.

It weighs a LOT less than my M1A Supermatch, that's for sure...what a pig that thing is, LOL!

My super-high tech bathroom scale says the FAL tips the scales at exactly 8lbs - unloaded, no mag in the well.