Midwest

Before the 1966 FID Gun Law

Before the 1966 FID Gun Law

Does anyone have stories or information on buying a firearm before the NJ Firearms I D card requirement law went in effect in NJ circa 1966?

1. Were BB Guns and Blackpowder firearms available in department stores or just gun stores? Was there any buying restrictions on them?

2. Was there a permit process to buy a pistol before the 1966 law? Is is the same as it is now, where you have to apply for it? When did that law go in effect?

3. Were long guns and rifles available in department stores and elsewhere or just in gun stores? Any restrictions?

4. Was mail order of guns permitted?

I read on another forum stories about how it was before the 1968 GCA where people were able to buy at department stores, hardware stores even gas stations as well as mail order.

I researched information on the net and found scant information about firearms and stories about them in New Jersey before the FID card requirement came into being circa 1966 (some two years before 1968 GCA). I did track down 1924 as the year a carry permit was required in NJ.

Thanks in advance

Where's Old School and Pizza Bob?

How about walking into Sears and walking out with a shotgun or a 22. Then going to the meadow lands and varmint hunt for the day. My co-worker did that in the 50s.

Next time I talk to my folks I'll try and remember to ask, I know they had something and I think they both got their what ever you needed back then when they turned 18, so that puts one in 1952 and the other in 1955, but I think we will have our answer soon from some of the member here.

I'm out. That pre-dates my sentence to the gulag by 12 years. I do remember pre-1968 buying mailorder, when I lived in PA, but didn't get to Jersey (thanks to a ,then, future ex-wife) until 1978.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My uncle great uncle Fred Colandro owned a gun store in South Orange from 1964 - 1973 and I have great childhood memories of hanging out there with my grandfather (his brother). I have many. many, stories and most I cannot put in writing but I can tell you this one that I heard many times from his younger employees years after he died.

Seems uncle being a Navy war hero and somewhat of a rebel had a great marketing plan for sales in the mid sixties. He and some of the guy's from the shop would select different local bars in the surrounding towns and they would go in for a few drinks around midnight. By 1 or 2am my uncle would have the entire bar convinced they were all in danger and they needed gun's. Everyone would leave to bar and follow the guy's and my uncle back to the shop and they would sell them all guns and ammo on the spot! True Story. Back then you could have an over the counter transaction without any sort of permits. etc.

As I bought my first firearm in 1970, the FID and PP requirement was in force. But firearms were sold in local Sears and my favorite, Service Merchandise. Edleman's was a popular northern NJ chain of about three or four stores that went on to become Kimber.

As I bought my first firearm in 1970, the FID and PP requirement was in force. But firearms were sold in local Sears and my favorite, Service Merchandise. Edleman's was a popular northern NJ chain of about three or four stores that went on to become Kimber.

Edleman's was the preeminent gun shop in South Jersey during the 80s. There were on 30/Admiral Wilson on the outskirts of Camden. Holy smoke. I very much wish my dad had my sensibilities. They had thousands or square feet of walls lined with $300 guns now selling for $3000 or more.

Where's Old School and Pizza Bob?

How about walking into Sears and walking out with a shotgun or a 22. Then going to the meadow lands and varmint hunt for the day. My co-worker did that in the 50s.

My dad used to do the same, ohh the stories i get about shooting in the "waste lands" i mean..wet lands lol.

Well I was 15 years old. Krugs Sporting Goods In Cliffside Park had a gun section in the back while it was primarily a clothing store.

At 15 I used to buy BB's at Ernies Sporting Goods and ammo at Boulavard Hardware when I was 18. Just as a little bit of Americana, Headley Lumber in Oak Ridge sells ammo today.

I understand these facts are a little off topic. I bought an Ithaca Deerslayer at "Two Guys" for $99 on closeout.

As far as I know, all guns were just cash and carry in NJ before 1966, but I wasn't around to vouch for it, that is the 3rd legal way a person could have obtained a handgun without a permit. I do know there were real gunshows in NJ before 1966.

I was talking to a dealer from PA at a gunshow, and he was telling me when he first started (pre 68), the only thing he was required to do when selling any gun was to ask if the buyer was over 18.

Ahhh, Edelman's, now your bringing back memories, I bought my first gun ever from there, a Remy 870, from the store in Wayne.

Edleman's was the preeminent gun shop in South Jersey during the 80s. There were on 30/Admiral Wilson on the outskirts of Camden. Holy smoke. I very much wish my dad had my sensibilities. They had thousands or square feet of walls lined with $300 guns now selling for $3000 or more.

The Edelman's store in Pennsauken was on the southern end of the strip of stores just below the Airport Circle on 130 South.

My mid-70's Smith & Wessons were purchased there and shipped to their Montgomeryville PA store (where I was living right after college)

Damn - why didn't I buy more S&W 41's for $272? :icon_e_ugeek:

The Edelman's store in Pennsauken was on the southern end of the strip of stores just below the Airport Circle on 130 South.

My mid-70's Smith & Wessons were purchased there and shipped to their Montgomeryville PA store (where I was living right after college)

Yup. Right across the highway from G.E.X. Bought my first safe and Rem 1100 from them.Of course, that wasn't until the late 70s.

Because $272 in 1975 had the buying power of $1147 today... Which is about what they cost today... give or take $150 and transfer fees/taxes.