irishpete

Low Light / No Light course - Nov 20

I did the Low Light/No Light course at GFH facility in Cedar grove with Chuck & Joe.

The course title does not have the same panache as urban piston(which i have not done) so I was expecting a less attended class.

We started at 4 people and a few extra dribbled in over the course of next 1/2 hr.

After about 1.5 hours of classroom theory, covering a range of relevant topics like

1) Standard grips when using a flashlight with a gun

2) Tactical use of a flashlight + moving with same

3) Room, hallway, stairs & doors practical considerations when operating in the dark

The 6 of us, yes only 6 plus 2 instructors headed to the range.

Straight off the bat, the facility is tremendous, large open indoor range no portals, booths or any of that crap, just lines on the floor marking off the distance.

Shooting with all lights off in the dark, one hand on flashlight, other single-handing the gun is VERY different to standing at your portal in a well lit range with the double grip.

We covered live fire drills, Gun & Light holstered/pocketed, in complete darkness using every grip previously explained in the classroom to check out what we felt most comfortable with.

After that we progressed to single person moving, discrimination & firing drills, I was in fits laughing at the, hillarious to me looking on, screaming yelling & light strobing that the instructors subjected whoever was current in the middle of the exercise to try and sress them out.

We finished with shooting from behind a barricade, extra things to consider like avoiding back-splash of light, while picking out a target from multiple targets. Again, the pressure is brought to bear during the reload :)

The only thing better would be in an actual dark apartment setup with an actual bad guy shooting back .... oh wait that simunitions .. and yes, I can hardly wait :8):

Irishpete, nice summary! I was there, and I also thought it was great training at a wonderful facility. I believe we met and were loading our mags next to one another. Just wish I had known you were a fellow NJGF guy. Hope to see you at another class before long. And yes, I plan to take Simunitions in the near future.

Irishpete, nice summary! I was there, and I also thought it was great training at a wonderful facility. I believe we met and were loading our mags next to one another. Just wish I had known you were a fellow NJGF guy. Hope to see you at another class before long. And yes, I plan to take Simunitions in the near future.

Dang, Anthony asked at the beginning anyone here from the forums and I was the only one to answer, so I assumed there were no others there however I think you were one of the people who arrived after that.

I was wearing a black Krav Maga T-shirt shooting the PX4, nice to have met you. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the near future.

Need some kind of bat signal for forum members to recognise each other.

and Yes, it was the bomb and beat an afternoon at the bullethole, hands down