Pizza Bob

OMG – What Have I Done?!?!?

I have expressed my disdain for tactical Tupperware a number of times on this board. The only plastic pistol that has wormed its way into my meager collection is my Ruger LCP, and that was a function of size, not material. I was witness to one of the first Glocks in the country, back in the mid-80’s, when a gun writer of my acquaintance brought one to our club practice night for some T&E. It was pretty much pooh-poohed by all as having no possibility of catching on – of course this was at a time when real men shot 1911’s and even those strange D/A S&W model 39’s and 59’s were looked upon with a jaundiced eye. Plastic is for toys, metal is for guns.

Well, not only have I just become the owner of a polymer-framed handgun (have to be PC now that I have joined the cult), but I did it by violating every tenet that we preach to every newbie that comes on this board and asks, “What gun should I buy?” Which is usually followed by a slew of posts telling them to try before they buy – not just hold the gun, but actually shoot it before they plunk down their hard earned dollars. Not bad advice, but this is a case of, “Don’t do as I do, do as I say.”

People that know me, personally, and from the board, know that I have a penchant for the quirky, oddball and out-of-the-ordinary ordnance. Witness things like my most recent CZ Royal, or the flat-top Bisley in .44 Special. I just don’t want to see myself coming and going, so I take pains in discovering these “oddities” (apologies to Fishpaw – not that odd).

So, “What did I buy?”, you may ask. Well, I’ve already let the cat out of the bag, in that it’s made of polymer. It’s chambered in the mundane 9mm (that was an economic and competitive decision) and it was built in Austria. (Old School is salivating now, thinking he has another convert to his coven).

Well, it’s not a Glock – I continue to dislike the Glock on grounds of aesthetics, ergonomics and commonality. But it is what many people say the Glock should have evolved to, or been in the first place. In fact one of the people that had a hand in the design of the Glock, designed this pistol, in its entirety.

Sight unseen (except for photos), so obviously untouched / never handled, I laid down the cash for the latest generation of the Steyr M9-A1. Stylistically it is a little out of the ordinary – you can see that there are elements used on XD’s and MP’s and the trigger system is similar to the Glock (although this generation has improved it), but there is no mistaking this for anything but a Steyr.

Every gunwriter that has reviewed this (and admittedly, there weren’t many) has commented on the great ergonomics. Likewise the trigger and the lack of muzzle flip, due to its extremely low bore axis relative to the hand. The other neat features include frame rails that are replaceable – not molded into the polymer, and Steyr’s unique trapezoidal sights consisting of two triangles – a solid, colored one for the front and an open, topless one, bracketed by two bars, for the rear.

For those that are thinking of following in my footsteps (it could happen), here is a caveat: For some reason Steyr chose not to change the model designation when they upgraded to this latest generation. The few changes that were made enhanced function. They are the aforementioned trigger upgrade (smoother, shorter, lighter with a shorter reset) and the elimination of the loaded chamber indicator (LCI), which was a pin that protruded from the rear of the slide when a round was chambered. It was suspected that this affected an occasional FTE. There is still a hole in the barrel hood to check chamber status. The trigger upgrade is visible and the best means to insure you are getting the latest, most current generation. It consists of a cross-pin, through the slide just below and to the rear of the rear sight dovetail – none of the previous M, S. or C series Steyrs had this pin. (M = Full size / S = Compact / C = Full size grip frame with Compact slide & barrel).

I mention this because there are a ton of Steyr M’s on the market right now that were part of a military contract overrun. They consist of slides manufactured in 2004 mounted on later frames – they have the LCI and do not have the cross-pin. These were imported by PW Arms of WA state – and are so-marked - (not Steyr USA, so who knows what the warranty status would be?) and are being sold at firesale prices by several big Internet vendors. I didn’t want old problems, so I opted to spend the extra money and get the current generation imported by the parent company.

Magazines are metal and appear to be Mec-gar. They make 10, 15 and 17 round mags. Since there aren’t many Steyr dealers, my gun is coming from a distributor so I had to get it with two 10-rd mags. That’s OK because the 15-rd mags are readily available and since both IDPA / SSP and USPSA / Production limit you to 10 rounds anyway, they’ll see significant use. I’ll pick-up some additional 15 rounders.

Paul (PK90) was a huge help in this endeavor, putting-up with all my anal BS regarding making sure this was the current generation and even suffering a pitch from me for him to become a Steyr direct dealer. He was of immense help. I just got back from picking it up. I won’t be able to post pictures until Sunday.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

umm it looks similar to a glock? so how are the ergonomics that much better and as well the aesthetics? i say try a glock shoot the new gen 4 G17 and than repost ur opinion bout glocks as i used to hate them as well but it does look cool :)

Steyr's seem hard to come by. I have read a lot about them in gun magazines and on the net, but have yet to see one in person.

I hear they shoot well and are comfortable to shoot though. I would love to try one sometime. They are so...secretive, if you know what I mean, and I think that appeals to me a lot.

I had it's sibling the M9 as one of my first handguns when I started shooting again about 10 years ago. It was a nice shooting guns, I like the trapezoid sights and it got back on target real quick. I traded it after about 6 month because there were no 15rd mags for it nor holsters back then, Clinton era BS. Traded it on a XD in .40 and regretted it two months later when I decided I did not like the XD. Always thought about getting another, but the prices for the M9A1 were pushing $600 last year... I paid $300 for my M9 IIRC.

Shoot it... you might like it. Way more comfortable then a glock, and I like glocks.

umm it looks similar to a glock? so how are the ergonomics that much better and as well the aesthetics? i say try a glock shoot the new gen 4 G17 and than repost ur opinion bout glocks as i used to hate them as well but it does look cool :)

Well at first glance, it looks like the grip isn't molded after a 2x3 block of wood.

Bob, I'll be over after work tomorrow. If we can figure out how to use my new confangled smart phone, we can use it to get pictures up, and then we can go shoot your new toy.

Well at first glance, it looks like the grip isn't molded after a 2x3 block of wood.

Bob, I'll be over after work tomorrow. If we can figure out how to use my new confangled smart phone, we can use it to get pictures up, and then we can go shoot your new toy.

the newer models have made improvements

the newer models have made improvements

The newer backstrap is nice but for some it still does not fix the blocky feeling or the grip angle.

I went to a gunstore in Sloatsburg NY and held a Steyr briefly. Felt pretty good in the hand and the trapezoidal sights had me intrigued to say the least. Not sure how it compares to the over-under 2 dot system or the 3grip dot in favor today though (with traditionally shaped rear and front posts). Tell us how that thing shoots! And I will second the demand for some pictures!

I want to say something nice about it, but I don't want to lie.

I thank you for your restraint.

Looks like something that should be on Batman's utility belt, doesn't it?

Makes a GLOCK look like a Prom Queen. :sarcastichand:

I see how they got the bore axis so low. And the grip looks good for smaller hands. Hope it shoots well for you Bob. As

you all know I'm not big on firearm looks but, that is one ugly pistol.

Edit: No Safety? Gonna shoot ya eye out!

Good luck with it Bob.