Steve_G

Ready to join OBRPC - I Think

I have been wanting to join OB or CJ for the last 2 years but, never could make up my mind. The only real positive I can find from CJ is the 300yd rifle range and lower cost. Keeping that in mind, I think the drive to Jackson would turn me off and I would not go very often. Kind of like now, drive to lakewood or Ft. Dix, I usually don't have that kind of time. Old Bridge indoor range is well within walking distance and the outdoor range is a 5 minute drive. So, I have finally made up my mind. I have seen the outdoor range at the October USPSA match. I have not seen the indoor range yet.

What I need to know is, how much is the initiation?

And the yearly dues?

I believe I can sign up the second Sunday of each month? So, Jan. 8th would be the next one?

I would like to check out the indoor range first. Anyone willing to bring me as a guest?

The OBR&PC has a one time,non-refundable initiation fee of $300.00 payable in 2 installments . the yearly dues are 384.00 in addition,12 hours of work time or 15.00 per hour not worked.if you put your work hours in you will only pay the 384.00 yearly dues.when you attend the meeting you will need to bring a handgun 50 rounds of ammo(no magnums)eyes and ears and a check for 342.00(half of the initiationfee and half of the first years dues.you will also need your firearms ID card and your NRA card.we are a 100% NRA member club.you can join the NRA at the meeting also.hope this helps,if you wanna see the indoor range i can give you a quick tour.

I so wanted to be able to make use of old bridge since I live nearby, but it hasn't been practical. Twice now I've gotten five of the six signatures needed to get past the probationary period and work or just life has prevented me from fulfilling that. No criticism there, my priorities etc.

OB is a very activities oriented club, which is a Very Good Thing, but it doesn't suit people (ie, me) who want someplace to go shoot pistols when they have time, without worrying about whether the range is available. I also don't think 100 yards is sufficiently challenging for rifle, except .22, obviously. That being said, I repeat, OB is a good club and I know that many people and activities are centered on it. This makes it not only good, but important, just not for me.

I do have one criticism however, and this relates to the question of work hours. At $15 per, these are expensive and the recent, somewhat debated, decision to change the way these are allocated in my mind means that the majority of members will have very limited access and so effectively have their membership fee raised by $180/yr (12 hours x $15). For me, this prices membership out of my realm of interest and so I have decided not to pursue full membership. I'll be giving my $$ to Shore Shot and Fort Dix instead.

I wish everyone at OB the best, and the club a long and prosperous future.

G

From what I understand you can go to the outdoor range any time during sunrise so long as

the pits are not used by an event. And the indoor range is always available 24/7 unless of

course there is an event. No?

They will give people extra time to complete the probationary period (watch/participate in 6 events). I am a new member there, took months to have the right Sunday off (they only do new sign-ups once per month). Didn't think I would be able to complete the 6 events, but found it was easily done. My wife and I love the 24/7 indoor range, especially just a few miles away.

Yes, they do have a lot of events, indoor and outdoor, you need to check their calendar to see what is open if all you want to do is shoot. It is a very active club which is good, lots of different things to do.

I'm not criticising the club for being activities-orientated. I applaud it. It's one of the things that will keep the club alive, rather than ossify in a downward spiral of "no new members here", such as Southriver, for example. What a tragedy that Club is - it could be living and vibrant.

I applied for membership, got to five signatures, missed the deadline for payment and 6 months later, went back to them to finish the requirements and pay the rest of the dues. THey declined and required that I re-apply from the start again, cutting me a (slight) deal on the initiation fee. Well, ok, their club their rules, etc. Did all that and got five signatures, focussing on the action shooting and PPP. That was going well and by and large the people were friendly and fun to be with and I didn't even (really) mind getting jacket splashback from the reloaders who like their rounds ghost-chilli hot, but work schedules meant that I couldn't usually get there to be able to shoot before 9 or 10. Now - kudos to Rosey and others who run these activities because it is a genuine tribute to their dedication and hard work that they are so popular, but it doesn't suit me to have to wait so late on a Friday to then shoot on towards midnight, so I didn't go every week (which of coursed diminished the competition element fo me). So, I stopped going and didn't make the 6th signature, again. My choice, my priorities.

I could have stuck it out I suppose, but the work hour thing killed it for me. The last time I heard it explained at a club meeting, the Management had decided that work hours were being "abused" and that they cost the club money. This to me suggested that the important thing about these work hours was that people didn't in fact do them, but did in fact pay for them instead. Since they then decided to dispense these hours by deciding what tasks needed done and allocating them to the volunteers for specific calls, I decided that the reality of the situation was that the real membership cost was $384 + $180 = $564 per year, and that this might be reduced by up to $180 if you as an individual member were lucky. Maybe this has now changed, but since I'm talking about 2011, I doubt it very much.

Well, for that amount of money I can be a member of ShoreShot and Phillipsburgh and Fort Dix, get the advantages of a modern indoor range with a good store and discounted firearm prices (ShoreShot), a small range where I know I'm supporting the sport at the grass-roots (Phillipsburgh and yes, I know OB does this - look at the success of their youth rifle programme), and an outdoor range where I can shoot rifle out to 200 yards and am able to buy targets (Fort Dix). I quite enjoy the drives, too.

OB has a lot going for it and it is popular and successful. I just decided to walk away.

Happy shooting everyone

G

I would bet you if South River was accepting new members I would have never went to Old Bridge since I live a mile from the club. I would also have missed-out on a lot of cool activities at Old Bridge too, so I"m glad SR is closed to new members. Heck, I don't even know if it is open for anything anymore, never, ever see anyone there when I go by it.

I done did it now. Ammo bill is going to go way up. I joined OBRPC this morning. They had a big turnout today, about 28 people showed up. I don't know how many actually joined, I was the 4th to hand in my paperwork and check and then I took off. Thanks to Rich and Pete for the presentation and their patience answering everyone's questions. So what's first? Maybe steel next week...

I done did it now. Ammo bill is going to go way up. I joined OBRPC this morning. They had a big turnout today, about 28 people showed up. I don't know how many actually joined, I was the 4th to hand in my paperwork and check and then I took off. Thanks to Rich and Pete for the presentation and their patience answering everyone's questions. So what's first? Maybe steel next week...

Welcome to the club, Steel is on, check out the thread in the other folder. I'll be there, come introduce yourself and maybe join the NJGF squad we normally put together. I'll make it easy, while I can't say I be wearing it on the outside, I'll be have my NJGF T-shirt on, maybe under a jacket if it's really cold.

Grey Toyota Matrix, usually with a big cup of DD coffee.

Welcome to the club, Steel is on, check out the thread in the other folder. I'll be there, come introduce yourself and maybe join the NJGF squad we normally put together. I'll make it easy, while I can't say I be wearing it on the outside, I'll be have my NJGF T-shirt on, maybe under a jacket if it's really cold.

Grey Toyota Matrix, usually with a big cup of DD coffee.

I plan to be there. Hopefully we get another weekend like this one.

I got my paperwork filled out and became a full member last meeting. I enjoy the club. I haven't even shot in the outdoor yet.

I shoot at the bullseye league. I should be there tomorrow night. I'm working towards more "action" shooting in the future.

I've had thoughts of joining Old Bridge a few times over the years. But once I start reading about meetings, having to get voted in, etc I always past on it. I basically just want a range where I can shoot when I have time and that's it. Right now I just take a hike down to Fort Dix. For $3 an hour and half price membership it's hard to beat other than the long drive. Does one have to participate in any of the competitions and whatnot that Old Bridge has?

• Like 1

There is a process to becoming a member at OBRPC and it is pretty simple. They want experienced people to see how you handle yourself and a weapon. That is why they want new members to observe two events and participate in four. You can also participate in all six if you choose. You get to meet members and other shooters, see different disciplines, and have a good time doing it. The voting-in part is nothing to worry-about whatsoever. It is simply a formality. Once you have your event sheet filled-out (the 2 observations and 4 participations at a minimum) the sheet is reviewed and then you (and anyone else that is up for membership) are put up for nomination as a new member. I have never seen anyone not voted-in yet. You wouldn't have your sheet filled-out with six signatures if you weren't a safe shooter.

I you know how to use the search function on here (I am no good with it) you will see that I asked these same questions last year. All I can say is this: Just do it!

I've had thoughts of joining Old Bridge a few times over the years. But once I start reading about meetings, having to get voted in, etc I always past on it. I basically just want a range where I can shoot when I have time and that's it. Right now I just take a hike down to Fort Dix. For $3 an hour and half price membership it's hard to beat other than the long drive. Does one have to participate in any of the competitions and whatnot that Old Bridge has?

Not once you turn-in your probationary member report to the membership committee. Let me explain:

Right now you have to get 5 signatures from all of the various Discipline Chairmen. Your choice which 5: could be 5 different or all of the same, doesn't matter, although the intention is to get you familiar with all of the various fun things to do in the club. Out of the 5 appearences, you must participate in just two and can observe in the remaining 3, although most folks who like to shoot participate in all 5 and really love the idea of the leagues being beginner-friendly. As far as getting voted-in, the membership committee chairman brings forth all of the names of the probationary members who have completed all of their paperwork and paid their dues. He does this at the same meeting you finish submitting your probationary report and making your dues payments up-to-date, so it's really nothing more than a formality. Definitely NOT something to worry about cause the entire group gets voted in at once, without singling anyone out. Like I said, it's a procedural formality from our By-Laws.

So after you complete your probationary paperwork, you're free to never show-up at another league activity as long as you live. But at only $5.00-$10.00 for most league matches, it sure is a fun way to meet like-minded folks and pick up a shooting trick or two from new friends that you've yet to meet.

We have both outdoor & indoor ranges so there's always somewhere to shoot and have some fun. If you want a tour give me a PM and I'll arrange to meet you at one range or the other.

Dave Rosenthal, Member-At-Large

Board of Trustees

I actually did try a search. But for some reason if you do a search for the word "OBRPC" you get an error message saying that is an invalid search word. I'm no expert shooter by any means and I'm sure many of the range members are much better with a handgun than I am. But I guess being a LEO for 9 years, I feel silly having to "prove" my gun handling abilities to people before I can join. Are any of the competiions with rifles and if so, what kind?

I actually did try a search. But for some reason if you do a search for the word "OBRPC" you get an error message saying that is an invalid search word. I'm no expert shooter by any means and I'm sure many of the range members are much better with a handgun than I am. But I guess being a LEO for 9 years, I feel silly having to "prove" my gun handling abilities to people before I can join. Are any of the competiions with rifles and if so, what kind?

I'm sure you are better than me!

Yes, there are rifle competitions. There is the .22 Rimfire Adult League that shoots indoors once a month. There is a .22 Rimfire Outdoor League which starts again in the Spring. There is a High Power League that shoots ourdoors on the 100 yard range. If you have a center fire pistol-round rifle you can use that in several outdoor competitions also. There is also Black Powder and Shotgun for some more long-gun activities.

The different people that are signing-off on the Proby sheet aren't judging whether you are a good shot or not, heck, they would have kicked me out! They are judging whether you are a SAFE shooter or not. Sometimes it seems the complete newbies AND the people who have handled firearms for a very long time sometimes forget the basics. IE: Don't draw your weapon from your holster with your finger in the trigger gaurd, don't "muzzle sweep" yourself or anyone else (IE: Gun always points down-range), don't keep your finger inside the trigger gaurd when you are changing mags, etc.....

As Dave said, all the people get voted-in at the same time. You won't have all the signatures you need if you are unsafe and won't be voted-in. I did six events, I guess the minimum is five. Dave is the PPC chairman which is a cool event run on the second Friday on the month at the indoor location. Take him up on his offer, he can easily put your mind to rest. Stand next to me at his next event, I'll make you look good! :)

Dave needs to give me some lessons, I am bad from the 25 yard line!

Just try it in lower case and an entire page of links & videos comes up: obrpc or www.obrpc.org . Or here's another one: www.oldbridgerifle.com . Get on the web site, and click on our newsletter to see & read about all of the fun you're missing.

Don't worry about proving YOUR gun handling skills---just be GLAD that we as a club ask ALL of our prospective members to prove THEIR gun handling skills. Because we care about EVERYONES' SAFETY! When you're at the range alongside someone you haven't yet met, it's comforting to KNOW that they too had to pass a brief safety test, unlike shooting at a public range where you never know what or who you're dealing with or the safety level of the person next to you.

Shooting our leagues gives you a chance to enjoy yourself and pick-up a few pointers from some of the best shots in their respective disciplines. A retired SWAT Leader with 28 years "On-the-Job" (that's a member of our club) once confided in me that he thought he knew how to shoot before he got here, and then told me that he always learns something new every time he shows up to shoot his favorite discipline--USPSA!

When you see what we have to offer, you'll really want to jump in with both feet! Let me know when you're available for the tour.

Dave

Thanks. What kind of rifles can be used in the competition events?

For the High Power League that meets on the second Sunday you can use either a sporting or military rifle shooting at 100 yards onto "reduced" size targets that simulate distances up to 600 yards. In layman's terms that means any center-fire bolt or semi-auto with iron sights, such as an AR platform or a Garrand or M-1A. 5.56 is basically the minimum caliber to be considered "high power". So your .30-.30 deer rifle from PA can be used here too.

During USPSA side matches as well as our 3-Gun matches we use AR-15 style rifles using .223 or 5.56mm rounds. Same for the IDPA League side matches, strictly AR platforms.

For the OBRAMS League (USPSA with rim fire .22 LR guns) we use GSG-5's and other pistols & rifles that sorta look like 1911's and AR-15's, only they shoot the inexpensive .22LR rounds.

For the Adult Smallbore League at the indoor range, we use bolt action .22LR and shoot a 3-position match.

Since I wasn't sure which competition you were referring to, I gave you the info on all or most of them.

As you can see, lots to get involved & have fun doing!

Dave

Ok, thanks. How long do most of these competition events usually go for? And how much time is given to complete the number of events required for membership?

The various competitions last from a couple hours to a full day for the 3-Gun matches. Most are 2-3 hours in length. Most folks I know shoot all of their probationary appearances, having even more fun along the way.

The standard time given for probationary members to complete their probation requirements & attend the various leagues is 6 months. Some do it quicker, some need more time due to work & family.