tony357

firing pin stop replacement..

I replaced the firing pin stop to correct clocking problem as you can see in 1st pic. Has a sloppy fit.

009-4.jpg

Kimber shipped the wrong stop for this model so i just went ahead and machined it to fit. They shipped a round top not flat to fit their adjustable target sight. So my valve face grinder came in handy..

001-13.jpg

After cutting the top to clear the sight no cutting needed to fit in slide holds extractor in place much better.. pictured below the modified stop on the right old one to the left.

008-8.jpg

Bottom of stop petruded up a bit about 1/16 from bottom of slide ground and then filed to fit, then polished.

002-11.jpg

004-8.jpg

Last fitting was clearancing the rail and then filing to fit.

010-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

finished view from rear..

012-1.jpg

Well done Tony. One reliability upgrade people do to their 1911 is install the EGW oversized fp stop. It has a more gradual slope than yours (which is rounded only on the edge). I believe it makes it easier to cockk the hammer when the slide is recoiling backwards. The net force required is the same but it gets distributed more evenly over the travel rather than at the last instant when recoil spring compression is at its max. It makes the slide easier to rack by hand, and it is closer to JMB's original design.