this_is_nascar

Your Opinion - Beretta 92FS as 1st 9MM Handgun

The 92 is a nice gun, classic styling, great to shoot, and easy on the hands. A bit heavy, but balances well. I had a tough time choosing between the 92 and the CZ 75. In the end, I went with the CZ simply because I shot better with it. I will eventually add a 92 to the safe, though.

• Like 1

I just got one and I'm still trying to get used to the DA/SA transition. I've been shooting mostly glocks and 1911's. The first DA pull is heavy but smooth and the SA pull is excellent.

Accessories are plentiful. Good mags are cheap. I'm also amazed at how easy it is to strip.

Go for it!

If it fits your hand well, and it's a good pointing pistol for you, then go for it. It is a proven pistol through combat, and it has a large backing behind it, while also having a lot of accessories and available mags as well.

I think it's more of a 'why not?' then 'why?'

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either. Both have .22 LR conversion kits. Beretta magazines are a little cheaper from Government surplus vendors. You can customize it with nice looking grips if that is your thing.

The Beretta is prettier and recoils a bit less due to the all metal construction. I would go with the Beretta, but there is a reason why the G19 is the most popular handgun in America.

Before you buy it, and I will say it again, look at the PX4 Compact.

If you are looking for a full size all-steel 9mm pistol, you have a few options. the Beretta 92/M9 (and Taurus clone) and CZ75B (or EAA Tangfolio clones) are nice and in the same price neighborhood. I prefer the CZ for its grip, pointability and accuracy. To me the Beretta has a big, blocky grip. If you spend a bit more, there are Sigs. They look and shoot well. I wouldn't necessarily say that you are getting more for the money, but I am a CZ rather than Sig fanboy.

Sounds like it's all been said here, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

My first pistol was a Beretta 92fs and I still own it and love it. Some will say it's for people with large hands, and I don't think mine are very large, but it feel perfect in my hands.

Agreed that you should take it for a test drive and see how you like it. If you're ever up in my neck of the woods I'd gladly let you put some rounds through her :)

Pass... Glock 19 is better as a first/only handgun. Compact (if you ever decide to conceal), 15 rounds, don't really need to clean it (easy if you decide to), great consistent trigger.

How is the G19, "better"? There's no CCW in NJ, and most probably will never be... so choosing it based on the hope that you'll be able to CC it sometime in the future is probably not a valid argument.

15 Rounds? The 92FS has 15 round mags... so neither is better than the other in that department.

The Glock has a great consistent trigger? Really? The stock triggers on all the Glocks I've shot (including the G19), feel like mush. The Beretta 92 has a much better trigger... Yes, it's DA/SA... and it has a bit of takeup to it... but it breaks nicely and is consistent.

The G19 wins over the Beretta on size and weight... but big deal... if you can't CCW, that's a moot point.

Accuracy-wise... Beretta 92 is more accurate than the G19. At least in my experiene, firing them side by side. And from talking to Glock owners that have fired both the Beretta and the Glocks.

Comfort and ease of handling... Many people can't shoot Glocks due their terrible ergonomics, big blocky grips and a weird grip angle. I have large hands and still can't shoot them for crap. I think the Beretta is going to be a pistol that will be most comfortable and ergonomic for most people when compared to the G19.

I assume if the person who is looking to buy this as a first pistol and ONLY pistol is not looking to CCW anyway... and would be using it for either HD or range fun. If that's the case, then the Beretta is probably the better investment over the Glock.

Although I own a Beretta 92A1, I am not being biased... Just stating my opinion after shooting both the Beretta's and the Glock's. At any rate, the best bet is for a person to try out all the options available to them and find what works best for them.

• Like 4

I dont think statements are accurate. I think that if you are fundamentally sound you should be able to shoot anything put into your hands. I can shoot my 1911 just as good as I can shoot any of my Glocks or my Beretta. I also have a ton of experience with Sig and HK.

Sounds like it's all been said here, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

My first pistol was a Beretta 92fs and I still own it and love it. Some will say it's for people with large hands, and I don't think mine are very large, but it feel perfect in my hands.

Agreed that you should take it for a test drive and see how you like it. If you're ever up in my neck of the woods I'd gladly let you put some rounds through her :)

I totally agree with your statement on the grip of the 92... I have the 92A1 and I have had people with both small and large hands shoot my pistol and they all loved it. Nobody ever complained about it being too big or uncomfortable. In fact they all stated how much they loved the gun and how accurate it was for them. I've had first time shooters shoot it and be very accurate... so that says something about the ergo's.

I dont think statements are accurate. I think that if you are fundamentally sound you should be able to shoot anything put into your hands. I can shoot my 1911 just as good as I can shoot any of my Glocks or my Beretta. I also have a ton of experience with Sig and HK.

See, I have to disagree with that. I don't care how much experience someone has... if the ergonomics of any particular gun are not compatible with you, then you're not going to enjoy shooting the gun. When you don't enjoy shooting it, you're probably also not going to shoot it well. Yes, you'll be able to shoot ANY gun... but will you be as accurate as you would be with your most favorite gun??? I don't think so. You want to have the whole package... Something that you feel most comfortable shooting, which will enable you to enjoy shooting it, and which ultimately will also aid in your accuracy. Sure fundamentals are important... but if a gun feels like crap in your hands, then fundies go out the window.

How is the G19, "better"? There's no CCW in NJ, and most probably will never be... so choosing it based on the hope that you'll be able to CC it sometime in the future is probably not a valid argument.

But if they carry out of state? Or during a SHTF scenario?

15 Rounds? The 92FS has 15 round mags... so neither is better than the other in that department.

The Glock has a great consistent trigger? Really? The stock triggers on all the Glocks I've shot (including the G19), feel like mush. The Beretta 92 has a much better trigger... Yes, it's DA/SA... and it has a bit of takeup to it... but it breaks nicely and is consistent.

Ahhh.... DA/SA, a guaranteed way to fire a warning shot before firing your real shot. Also: don't forget the safety/decocker!

Glock triggers have rarely been mush to me... they have some take-up, then a clean break. You should practice more.

The G19 wins over the Beretta on size and weight... but big deal... if you can't CCW, that's a moot point.

Not really, see above.

Accuracy-wise... Beretta 92 is more accurate than the G19. At least in my experiene, firing them side by side. And from talking to Glock owners that have fired both the Beretta and the Glocks.

Subjective... I can claim the opposite as well. How is 'accuracy' even measured here?

Comfort and ease of handling... Many people can't shoot Glocks due their terrible ergonomics, big blocky grips and a weird grip angle. I have large hands and still can't shoot them for crap. I think the Beretta is going to be a pistol that will be most comfortable and ergonomic for most people when compared to the G19.

Subjective. Generally, the whole "Glock grip is too blocky" is a tired old trope that is played out by those who are accustomed to whatever handguns their accustomed to... be it 1911s or others.

I assume if the person who is looking to buy this as a first pistol and ONLY pistol is not looking to CCW anyway... and would be using it for either HD or range fun. If that's the case, then the Beretta is probably the better investment over the Glock.

Why? What's the added value in a 92FS? You have more weight, more bulk, an equally fat grip, DA/SA trigger, and cumbersome safeties and de-cockers... You pretty much CAN'T conceal it if you wanted to...

Although I own a Beretta 92A1, I am not being biased... Just stating my opinion after shooting both the Beretta's and the Glock's. At any rate, the best bet is for a person to try out all the options available to them and find what works best for them.

Really does not come across that way.

• Like 1

See, I have to disagree with that. I don't care how much experience someone has... if the ergonomics of any particular gun are not compatible with you, then you're not going to enjoy shooting the gun. When you don't enjoy shooting it, you're probably also not going to shoot it well. Yes, you'll be able to shoot ANY gun... but will you be as accurate as you would be with your most favorite gun??? I don't think so. You want to have the whole package... Something that you feel most comfortable shooting, which will enable you to enjoy shooting it, and which ultimately will also aid in your accuracy. Sure fundamentals are important... but if a gun feels like crap in your hands, then fundies go out the window.

I agree if people enjoy shooting a gun more than something else they will probably practice more with it, thus increased accuracy. Fundamentals apply to all guns no matter what they are, now whether or not people like the trigger of whatever, that still doesnt change. I routinely swith between HK USP Fullsize with an LEM trigger and Glocks standard trigger and shoot both the same, although I like the Glocks better.

Gentlemen,

The OP asked for opinions of a particular gun, and we offered it. Can't we all just get along without getting into a pissing contest about whose opinions are more valid?

Sheesh!

• Like 2

Gentlemen,

The OP asked for opinions of a particular gun, and we offered it. Can't we all just get along without getting into a pissing contest about whose opinions are more valid?

Sheesh!

Ditto kenw.

I think everyone is giving valid opinions. The general opinion is the Beretta 92FS is a good if not great first 9mm handgun. It will give you years of great service with proper maintenance. I think where we are running into a problem is that you cant just have one 9mm handgun you need many. Mostly to do your own comparisons and an excuse to buy more guns. Any gun is good as long as you are happy and you like it. There will never be a winner in any discussion or forum to what is the best 9mm handgun. The best is whatever you buy and are happy with.

I think everyone is giving valid opinions. The general opinion is the Beretta 92FS is a good if not great first 9mm handgun. It will give you years of great service with proper maintenance. I think where we are running into a problem is that you cant just have one 9mm handgun you need many. Mostly to do your own comparisons and an excuse to buy more guns. Any gun is good as long as you are happy and you like it. There will never be a winner in any discussion or forum to what is the best 9mm handgun. The best is whatever you buy and are happy with.

I agree, always nice to put up options but every time a thread like this comes up, it turns into this is better than that and if you don't think what I think your wrong. :thsmiley_deadhorse:

Gentlemen,

Sheesh!

Ken,

Agreed. I was not trying to get into a pissing contest. The OP asked if the Beretta 92 is a good first handgun and was trying to point out the facts that should not sway him away from the 92. I did in fact state that the best bet is for the OP or the person looking to buy, is to try out ALL the options available and see what works best for them. What's good for one may not be the best for the next person. So it's all really subjective. There is no such thing as one pistol that is best over all others.