mx597turbo

I need some suggestions for a NJ legal semi auto rifle

I've been doing some research, but I haven't come to a solid decision yet. I'm looking for a rifle that meets the following criteria:

• NJ Legal
  • Semi-auto
  • Mag or clip feed
  • 7.62 (preferably) or 30-06
  • Around $400

The rifle would be used for target practice only, not hunting.

I'm leaning toward the various AK clones. I don't need the pistol grip or thumbhole, but it would have to accept the standard double-stack AK mag without modification. Which specific models would this include?

I would also consider SKS-M (preferably) or M1 Garand clones. Can anyone point me to some reasonably priced models.

Based on this post, can anyone suggest any other rifles that would meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you look at SKS, you might want to look at others than the Yugo. Yugoslavia did not have the natural resources to give their guns chrome lined barrels, which can be a problem if you shoot corrosive. Also, it is built like a brick and has barrel grooves and an extra long barrel for a grenade launcher.

Semi-Auto and $400 for a 7.62 cal gun really limits your choices.

You are pretty much in AK clone style/SKS shooting 7.62x39 territory. For around $600 you can start looking at the Saiga 308 or if you want to go hunting styled , a Rem 750. After that you are talking $950 and up territory for a .308 SA tacticool style rifle.

I like the mini-thirty, which you may be able to find around your price range. They're much lighter than the SKS, I like them quite a bit, and I've heard good stuff. I'd buy one, but I'm thinking of going for an AR build right now, although it's a pain saving up XD.

I should have mentioned, the Mini-30 fires the same round as the AK (7.62x39.) There is also the Mini-14 model, which fires the 5.56.

I suggest a Saiga 7.62x39. Use it stock first and if you wish, you may do a "trigger restoration". A number of us here in the forum have done it.

i agree 100%, most BANG! for the buck, cheap to get, cheap to convert, accurate enough, cheap ammo.... oh yeah fun to shoot..

• Like 1