Shawnmoore81

Philly cop chokes guard with ccw

Only on Fox: a controversial arrest is caught on tape when a Philadelphia police officer chokes an off-duty corrections officer in public who was legally carrying a gun.

Read more: http://wtxf.m0bl.net/r/ycwx7

Sent from the Fox29 News iPhone App.

Isn't it legal for open carry in Philly?

Hey, I don't want to jump to conclusions, and I don't want to hear anymore about this "them and them" mentality. I wonder if our President will get involved in this one. Seems to me there might be a racial element here as well. Where's Reverend Al?

On a side note, maybe our state police should recruit in Philly.

The part I want to know about is when the CO went back to retrieve his gun. Did they tell him to or did he make an unauthorized move towards the weapon. Either way I know in my academy 2 handed chokes were not approved.

Yeah that is typically a no-no.

The part I want to know about is when the CO went back to retrieve his gun. Did they tell him to or did he make an unauthorized move towards the weapon. Either way I know in my academy 2 handed chokes were not approved.

Once he showed them his permit, etc. they should have backed off and left him alone.

• Like 3

Agreed but in no situation do you make a furtive movement towards a gun if you are not in uniform.s uniformed officers are always in control on scene when you are off duty or plain clothes. Even if they are wrong they are in charge

I totally agree. Being off-duty and having a weapon I will always comply with whatever order is given to me by uniformed officers for their safety and mine. I would expect the same if I am in the situation in uniform. Even when I get stooped off-duty driving which is rare I let whoever is stopping me know that I have an off-duty on me out of professional courtesy.

That wasn't a choke hold to me - that looked like an "i'm gonna kill you" kinda choke.....

I agree. The CO should have never walked away like that, but the cop has no business choking him like that. Is that how they train the cops at the acadamy to maintain control, to choke someone like that.

Isn't it legal for open carry in Philly?

Being a CO would have been enough. For civilians, Philly is a "City of the First Class" (population criteria) and as such a LTCF or permit from a reciprocal state is needed for open or concealed carry. Outside of Philly no license/permit is needed for open carry (NOTE: Once you are in a vehicle it is considered concealed and an LTCF or reciprocal is needed).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

While there may be open carry maybe that dept does not allow "open" carry. SOP's may be set that an "off-duty" has to remain hidden from view.

I am not saying that the PD enforces DOC procedures, just making a point.

I've still missed your point. No way the LEO knew the MWAG was a CO. And my point still stands - even if he did, it isn't up to the PD to enforce DOC policy.

Anyway you look at it, Philly PD screwed the pooch and they should have learned their lesson from last time....I wonder though why did the "Man with a Gun" call came in?

Sheeple

This whole incident really comes down to proper training - starting with the 911 operator that got the MWAG call. If the operator had established that the MWAG was not threatening anyone, had it out of the holster etc, etc, then the police should not have even been dispatched. All the operator had to ask was: What is he doing? And: What is he doing with the gun? First answer: Waiting for his food to be served. Second: Nothing. No need. Once dispatched and the LEO's ascertained there was no illegal activity that should have been the end of it - checking for his LTCF or CO credentials was one step over the line, but he complied - and that should have definitely been the end of the incident. Gun should never have been removed from the holster. By doing so, it was the LEO that was "endangering". The whole scenario was handled badly, top to bottom. Since it was two agencies, I have a feeling that all charges will be dismissed and the whole thing will be swept under the rug. Ramsey needs to be held accountable.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 4

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926A the following:

Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

© As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

`(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

`(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;

`(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

`(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

`(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

`(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926A the following:

Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--

(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

© As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

`(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

`(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;

`(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

`(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

`(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

`(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer

I get lost in all this, while I was in my academy we were told we can carry in any of the 50 states with out an issue. I carry everywhere I go, pa, philly, nyc, Boston, where ever. Only had one small incidence in nyc where I was questioned and my badge and is was enough for the cop to just give me a friendly be safe

I get lost in all this, while I was in my academy we were told we can carry in any of the 50 states with out an issue. I carry everywhere I go, pa, philly, nyc, Boston, where ever. Only had one small incidence in nyc where I was questioned and my badge and is was enough for the cop to just give me a friendly be safe

You are correct. As do I. Just make sure you carry whatever ammo is authorized by your dept. ie. Hollow Points...No need to change ammo anymore.