Texas Shooter

Ammo Shortage Almost Upon Us?

There's a discussion going on at Glock Talk about ammo hoarding. One of the members posted that 223/556 is gone from the distribution channels. Once it's gone in the stores, that's it.

I'm starting to stock up as best I can, especially since I just joined the 223/556 party. So, are any of you hoarding ammo? Do you feel the ammo shortage is for real or just a bit overblown?

From the discussion on Glock Talk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer88 viewpost.gif

Good stuff so far. I keep hearing that .223 is all gone. I saw some at walmart yesterday. And, I can get it online easily. Although, the price has definitely gone up.

You are about to get caught in a trap. People who used this method of deciding on shortages in 2008 are the ones in 2009 whining where did all the ammo go.

People like Bluestreakfl and I are up the food chain from the regular consumer. When we say there is no ammo we are not talking about ammo in your LGS or a on line dealer.

That ammo has already been sold to that dealer and is no longer available wholesale. In other words it does not count.

We are talking about ammo to replace that ammo once it has been sold. This is the shortage. By the time you see empty shelves at the store it is a late sign of a shortage.

The only reason there is any 223\556 ammo in any store is because tons of it was dumped on the surplus market in the last two years. It is gone now except in some LGS and a few on line retailers.

You can read more here

The biggest reason why people hoard is because, plain and simple, other people are scaring them into it.

If everyone wasn't in so much panic, which I still don't fully understand why, then 1 - people wouldn't be hoarding so much 2 - prices wouldn't be so expensive and 3 - ammo wouldn't be selling out as fast as it is.

Just a couple days ago, like 100 cases of 9mm sold out in 30mins on an ammo website...you gotta be kidding me.

bought me some .223. I can't see that the demand is such that it can reasonably incapacitate the manufacturers though. They should be growing and trying to keep up with demand instead of shutting down.

Most don't want to expand because they anticipate a sharp decrease in demand after the election, leaving them with a lot of business expansion debt, and no orders to fill....

...Not to mention that with demand the way it is, prices are going up. Fortunately, I'm in the market for a press, and plan to start reloading just for this reason.

Great business to be in. I would like to start an ammo manufacturing plant. In NJ!

HAH! The state of NJ wouldn't want your business here. Guarantee you'd have a hell of a hard time getting the licensing and such.

The biggest reason why people hoard is because, plain and simple, other people are scaring them into it.

If everyone wasn't in so much panic, which I still don't fully understand why, then 1 - people wouldn't be hoarding so much 2 - prices wouldn't be so expensive and 3 - ammo wouldn't be selling out as fast as it is.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I been hoarding ammo since the prices came down about a year after Obama got elected. I've noticed in the last few weeks it's up across the board. I won't be buying much more until the prices come back down. Keep in mind, ammo will go up for good when the economy recovers in earnest because commodity prices for the raw materials will increase with the improving economy. Stack it deep when you can.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I been hoarding ammo since the prices came down about a year after Obama got elected. I've noticed in the last few weeks it's up across the board. I won't be buying much more until the prices come back down. Keep in mind, ammo will go up for good when the economy recovers in earnest because commodity prices for the raw materials will increase with the improving economy. Stack it deep when you can.

Glad I stocked up in the past when it was cheaper as well.

Almost upon us?? The run for ammo has been going on for 2 months or so. Especially on 5.56/.223, prices went from around $300 per 1k to more than $340 per 1k, and thats when you can find it in stock, and even more for the good 5.56 stuff.

Please define the line between hoarding and just being well stocked.

Well-stocked: All your ammo cans are filled

Hoarding: You're looking at your walls and furniture and making plans to use "all that empty space" in them as ammo storage. In fact you're making plans to turn ammo cans into furniture and walls.

Well-stocked: All your ammo cans are filled

Hoarding: You're looking at your walls and furniture and making plans to use "all that empty space" in them as ammo storage. In fact you're making plans to turn ammo cans into furniture and walls.

Well if you stack them just right, add a few pillows and cushions and a some wood and you can have a nice chair and table.. :icon_mrgreen:

If things were really as dire as those "up the food chain" say, I would expect to be at $400+ for a case already. My guess is they are at 100% allocation of production, which means the mom and pop places get to suck it.

I'm pretty sure the supply chain saw us coming this time and is making a buck from day one, which should actually help in sustaining availability.

My. 02....

I would rather be stocked...over stocked with components as opposed to full ammo....

The only Ammo that I really buy in qty is rimfire as I can't make it.....

Just a thought to toss around having molds .... lead..powder brass primers etc ...and knowing how to use it is responsible as An owner

I agree, only thing I don't do is cast my own bullets, not sure if I ever will but I try and stay stocked on all my components also.

Well I also buy 22LR like you as well as 7.62X54R, no need to reload that being it's so cheap any way.

I am friends with a guy that runs a small shop and has an ammunition manufacturing license... he does all my ammo for me.. which means.. I do not know what shortage means.. if I can pick up the casings.. and they are safe to use.. he will reload them.. but I really need to get into reloading myself..

Even DHS is stockpiling... 450mil rounds of .40HP, 175mil rounds of 5.56... Some think it is to prepare for some kind of civil unrest that they see coming. Others think it is just a smart investment, buy now while its lower in price, and if stored properly can last for decades.