RAL1979

First Time Flying With Firearms

Headed to New Orleans tomorrow by way of EWR, and I plan on carrying while I'm down there. I've never flown with a gun before, and I'm trying to make sure I've got all my bases covered:

Unloaded G19 in a locked, hard sided case, case with a cable locked to frame of my suitcase, TSA locks for the suitcase itself.

25 rd box of Hornady Critical Defense in original packaging not locked up, but placed in suitcase.

Declare firearm at check in counter, go with TSA agent to verify, etc etc.

Sound about right? Missing anything?

Yes, United and Continental are now one and the same. They will have you sign an orange Firearms Declaration card, and will place it in your luggage.

I flew a couple of weeks ago, and I guess the agent did not hear me say that I had a firearm in my suitcase. The next thing I knew, my bag was on the belt headed for the back and he was wishing me a good flight. I told him I guess he had not heard me, and I repeated my declaration. The next thing I know, he's yelling, "Stop that bag!" and TSA agents come scurrying over to see what's the matter. After a few minutes, they brought my bag back out and went through the proper procedures. It all worked out OK, but it would have been a harrowing first-time experience.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes, either with a post or a pm to me.

TSA does not lock your bag, or at least not as of last year. Lock your own bag. My approach was locked gun case inside locked bag, gun unloaded, ammo in original packaging NOT in the same case as a the gun. The TSA people will maybe open your bag, maybe they won't, and should be in your presence so your keys would suffice. At Newark I had to wait 45 minutes before the TSA person showed up, took a brief look in my gun case, never touched the gun or checked if it was unloaded. In Anchorage I might as well been mailing a postcard, there was a long line at the gun check-in counter that only took 5 min to get through, they never opened my bag or checked anything, they just filled the bit of paperwork and shoved it in my bag and swabbed my bag for explosives ( .. hmm .. GUN in there people!). I'd say do your best to follow the TSA/airline printed instructions, bring a copy of the rules with you, and hope for the best.

Yeah, I have "TSA approved locks" for my suitcase, I didn't word it correctly in my op

I used to fly a lot. I had the TSA locks for a small case of hand tools I would check. After replacing the locks 3 times because they broke them off so they could do a bag inspection, I started using small plastic zip ties instead. Replacing a zip tie is cheaper than a pad lock.

If I was you and this is what I always do, I do use TSA locks on the bag itself, but if I have a handgun in my bag, I have it in a separate lock box that only I have the key to.

Now for long guns, I just use my hard rifle cases and there are 3 keyed locks on them, that again only I have the key to.

Newark is ok. Phl was great flying out of, ACY is pretty good too.

Gun unloaded, in hard case. Ammo in its box, both in my one checked bag. Declare at counter.

Airlines varied as did airports. Some wanted to see unlocked gun at counter and put the gun paper inside case, others did not want to see it and just told me to stick the tag somewhere near box in bag. Some had me wait at counter to get TSA ok. Another let me take it there. Some just said go ahead, we will page you if any problems.

Best airports to fly out of with guns... locally PHL and ACY. PHL because they see plenty of guns I am sure, ACY because they are small and painless.

Las Vegas was not bad, just had to wait a tad. Orlando was pretty good too.

Flown out of EWR several times with firearms....be sure to lock your slide back, a flag wouldnt hurt as the TSA are not allowed to touch your gun. I did not have TSA approved locks as they always taken me to the room and asked for the key, after they've shown me they relocked the case they return my key

thats weird. Not one time flying out of any other airport, did TSA want to look at the gun. They merely ran it through the xray. Only in MCO (orlando), did I take it to TSA, who just opened my luggage bag, looked to see if there was anything else there, and that is it. did not even open the gun case. In any case, they have always been locked.

Happy to report all went well at Newark today, no issues whatsoever. Actually was a smooth procedure, which surprised the hell out of me! Gate agent took me to TSA room, TSA opened my suitcase, saw locked gun case, closed said suitcase, and said "have a nice flight". It actually took my wife longer to clear security (she was the "random") then it took me to check my firearm. Overall great experience, hope I can say the same for the return flight.

Yes, made it back safely, thanks for reminding me to update this. New Orleans trip went very well, I carried pretty much all day for the duration of the trip, but left the gun in the safe in the evenings due to the "Restaurant Carry" laws in Louisiana. It's tough to get a straight answer from the Louisiana State Police, as to the legality of carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol, so I erred on the side of caution. All in all a great trip.

As for the return flight, the procedure at the airport was completely different. I told the agent I had a firearm to declare, she said "OK, open up your suitcase, and show me that it's unloaded". So I did, right there at the baggage check counter. Showed her the clear weapon, locked it back up, and was on my merry way. No TSA involvement whatsoever. I have to admit the whole process felt weird, but maybe just because it was so easy and normal (as compared to NJ). Either way, both flights were uneventful, which is exactly what I was hoping for, and I hope all of my future trips are the same.

The 2 times I flew out of EWR with a firearm in my bag the agent walked me to the TSA room where the same guy took my bag, told me I had to wait outside the room and asked for my key. Brought my key back out a couple of minutes later. Anyone else have to give the key and wait outside the room?

The TSA doesn't seem to have a standized program for their prcedures.

Really kind of nuts for a nationa;;y controlled organization.

I got the wait outside treatment at EWR and opened the case and tagged the gun at the counter at ATL.

I just follow the rules posted on the TSA site and play the game.