Sharrie*1

AR Upper To Lower Play

I have recently gotten into the whole AR thing (I think it is a sickness as you cannot just buy 1). First I purchased a Stag in 6.8spc. This is a real sweet gun. It has "0" play between the 2 halves. Then I purchased an AR10 by Armalite in 308. On this gun, which otherwise seems well made, there is a bit of annoying play between the halves with the pins in place. I have read a large amount on this topic, and the consensus is that this does not affect accuracy one bit. I do understand this completely, however, I cannot stand the feeling I get when the 2 halves show movement. Again, I did a bunch of searching on the web. Some use oversized pins (Armalite actually sells them), but others say you should not use the oversize pins. I came across a guy that put O-rings around the pin boss. I thought this was an excellent idea and tried it, to no avail (I guess my play is very small). Then I came across a guy that used scotch tape on the parting surfaces. This too seemed like a great idea. I tried this. I was shocked that the thickness of 2 pieces of tape on top of each other on the parting surface completely removed all play. I had a problem with that though - you could see this cheesy tape. So, I took the same approach, but used black electrical tape. The thickness of one layer of tape completely eliminated all play. In fact, it was even tight when pushing in the rear pin. Now, all play is gone and one cannot even see the tape. I think I can live with this repair.

Anyone have any similar experience?

my DPMS in 308 has a fairly tight fit.. BUT someone replaced the rear pin with like a pin that you can tighten... which make it not move at all.. something like that might help your situation..

I would not personally rely on tape or anything like that to remove play.. I am NOT being "snobbish" or anything but for me it would have to be something more reliable.. I am pretty sure you can fix it because it is not that uncommon of an issue..

Yes, Brownells does sell an adjustable pin. I have placed a pic. below. As I have read, the play does not affect the accuracy (although the writeup on Brownells does say it increass accuracy). Honestly, my research on the web kinda showed consensis that this will not adversly affect accuracy. To be honest, I am not that good of a shooter yet, so I really couldnt put this to the test. The only reason that I trusted tape is because I feel that this problem is only cosmetic (in other words, it bothers me). If I thought it would affect accuracy, I think I would purchase the .001 oversize pins that Armalite sells.

Thank you all for your responses.

Howard

p_452015105_1.jpg

I also did check into the acuwedge. They seem cheep enough. I read that Colt actually puts them in some guns from the factory. I did read though that some think this plastic is going to melt if the gun is really used, although that was not validated by others.

My RRA upper and lower came pretty tight, one year later after taking it apart a couple times it now has some slop in it. It is noticeable easier to get the take down pins in and out now. Personally i would go with the adjustable takedown pin, cost a lot more, but it seems like the better solution. Those accu wedges wear out after time if you take apart the rifle frequently. If it makes a difference, that slop is normal.

My RRA upper and lower came pretty tight, one year later after taking it apart a couple times it now has some slop in it. It is noticeable easier to get the take down pins in and out now. Personally i would go with the adjustable takedown pin, cost a lot more, but it seems like the better solution. Those accu wedges wear out after time if you take apart the rifle frequently. If it makes a difference, that slop is normal.

I experienced the same with my RRA. Never seemed to affect accuracy though.

But now you need tools to break down the AR. Also, there are many reviews that have this pin loosening during firing, making the problem worse. If he uses a quality electrical tape rated for high temps he should be good. And the insulating qualities will allow you to shoot in lightning storms, the likes of which always happen during the zombies.

I have the same issue with my AR... there's some minor movement between the two halves. Its really minor, and I know it's nothing to worry about, but it still bugged the shit out of me. I tried the accu-wedge, and it worked fine for a few days and then the rubber material on the accu-wedge deformed and the tiny bit of loosness was back again. I've somewhat decided to just live with it and try to stop being such a perfectionist about it... I like some of the solutions that some of you have posted in this thread, and although I'm not the thrifty type, I have a hard time spending $35 or more on a takedown pin. LOL.

"But now you need tools to break down the AR. Also, there are many reviews that have this pin loosening during firing, making the problem worse. If he uses a quality electrical tape rated for high temps he should be good. And the insulating qualities will allow you to shoot in lightning storms, the likes of which always happen during the zombies."

Now thats funny:-)

Anyhow, as most of you have stated, this is a common situation with the AR type gun. In the end, the tape will prolly fall off and I will give up my anal worries of this little bit of play that really doesnt hurt a darned thing.

BTW RAZ-0...I do like the option you presented. I did not see any size options for the AR10, which has larger and longer pins.

Thanks,

Howard

play doesnt matter. it doesnt affect accuracy in any way. on AR guns, 100% of the accuracy (not counting the trigger pull) is contained in the upper, not the lower or the fit of upper to lower. if there is excessive play, then there is something wrong and can affect function. if it bothers you that much, get an accuwedge. but the difference is purely personal.

play doesnt matter. it doesnt affect accuracy in any way. on AR guns, 100% of the accuracy (not counting the trigger pull) is contained in the upper, not the lower or the fit of upper to lower. if there is excessive play, then there is something wrong and can affect function. if it bothers you that much, get an accuwedge. but the difference is purely personal.

The accuwedge can break apart and crap up your FCG.

No big deal if you're just punching paper, but if you needed your AR for something, you'd be screwed.

The accuwedge can break apart and crap up your FCG.

No big deal if you're just punching paper, but if you needed your AR for something, you'd be screwed.

How does it break up? The one I have is a very tough rubber material and it's just wedges between the takedown pin and the rear wall of the lower receiver. No moving parts really touch it or anything.

How does it break up? The one I have is a very tough rubber material and it's just wedges between the takedown pin and the rear wall of the lower receiver. No moving parts really touch it or anything.

+1. That thing is wedged in the rear lower corner of the lower really tightly. No moving parts touch it.

Even if the gun were fired in fully auto mode, it is probably in the location furthest from the heat of the chamber.

These are all valid points. Maybe I just need to treat my Colt harder, but my Accuwedge is still pliant and fully intact. Maybe the desert and some of the environments mentioned in the link hasten the disintegration process. The guys on M4Carbine.net seem to like the upper/lower rattle. I found it more annoying than anything else.

Not my personal experience. But there's a thread on m4c.

http://m4carbine.net...light=accuwedge

ETA: It is rubber isn't it? Doesn't rubber dry out at some point?

Also, doesn't oil soften up rubber?

Once it dries and cracks it'll fall apart into your FCG.

Are you planning on shooting full auto, every day, in the middle of the desert? If not, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

These are all valid points. Maybe I just need to treat my Colt harder, but my Accuwedge is still pliant and fully intact. Maybe the desert and some of the environments mentioned in the link hasten the disintegration process. The guys on M4Carbine.net seem to like the upper/lower rattle. I found it more annoying than anything else.

I mean if you check it every so often, I think you'll be fine. As with everything else, proper maintenance is key.