Tactical Turtle

300 black out... whats your thoughts

What's the intended purpose?

If you plan on running subsonic with a suppressed setup then I think the 300 blackout is a great option. Though wouldn't happen in NJ...

Otherwise if you plan on using supersonic loads, you will basically be getting 7.62x39 performance out of it, at much greater costs for ammo. The only two benefits I can see is if you reload, you can tailor your load to your purposes using available .30 cal bullets that would make some nice hard hitting rounds in the 200-400 yard area. And you can use existing AR mags.

If you are looking for hard hitting heavy rounds for work out to 200 yards, I'd look at the 450 bushy, 458 socom, or 50 beowulf flavors. Then there are nice .308 options for the AR platform but will probably weigh more.

IMO, I'd look at the 6.8SPC for hunting and paper punching. You will have a flatter shooting , and longer distance capable round for both purposes. Its easy to convert an existing AR with a upper/BCG swap. The 6.8 guys seem to do really well with it and hog hunting http://68forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-Hunting-with-the-6.8-mm

I'm no expert, but it seems to be the more flexible and capable option if you arent running subsonic suppressed.

300 blk is basically the same as .300 whisper.

The original cartridge was designed to do three things.

1) be accurate and lethal under 200 yards with subsonic loads.

2) replicate .30-30 performance with a better selection of bullets at supersonic velocities.

3) perform 1) and 2) out of a contender/encore pistol platform. That means perform well from an sbr length barrel.

Due to improving bullet selection, 6.8 is getting nicer, but there's already more commercial loadings of 300 blk than 6.8. 300 blk has less gear to duplicate than 6.8. Brass is cheaper for reloading, and there are more bullets to choose from. Bullet cost is about the same. 6.8 pretty much just brings a flatter trajectory to the table.

Dan, brother, Im not tracking your logic. You raise a concern about the price of 300 Blk ammo which is about $10 a box if you shop around. Avg $11. Then you suggest calibers that are hard as F to find ammo for at times and is in the $30 to $50 per box range in the case of 458 and 50 Beu....??????

I was referring to ammo price of 300blk versus 7.62x39 considering the similarities in performance. As in a 7.62x39 AR upper setup would be more cost effective ammo-wise over a 300blk.

After that I was going more for performance and intended purposes, while using the AR platform... without considering price as these other rounds are in their own league. I figured the OP would search around and determine for himself, or take up reloading. :)

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Also, if you look around... hunting/match ammo for 300blk actually costs more in many cases than hunting/match ammo for 6.8SPC. 300blk does have the advantage for cheaper practice FMJ ammo by about $7 a box.

Here are all "MY" disqualifiers. The reason I dont care for 762x39 in the AR platform is due to the feeding issues associated with it. I hear if your using small capacity mags its not so bad but... I also believe the 300 has a bit more range to it. But the reall beuty of the 300 to me is it is simply a barrel, nothing else required.

I have looked at the 458 and 50 beu MANY MANY MANY times over many many many years. It simply lacks adoption and therefore leaves ammo prices in the stratosphere and at the mercy of availability if you dont reload. I really cant speak to the 450 as I really never paid it much attention. But all those calibers of course have a capacity penalty.

6.8. I stopped paying attention to that caliber due to all the issues and a moving target of specification. It would be annoyting to me to always have to be wary of which 6.8 (SPC1 orSPC2)I have and which ammo i have.

6.5. I Like it! But I like .260 better :D But I think your really in a different class at this point. In fact I would lump them together as:

5.56, 300Blk, 7.62X39

450, 458, 50 Beu

6.8, 6.5

6.5X47, 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 308.

But back to the 300 Blk, if you want to sling .30 cal projos with really no penalties, I think this is the best way to do it. I just wish we lived in America so we could enjoy some of the other benefits it offers :(

For starters - everyone who has shot my 300Blk Upper has either purchased an Upper, purchased a 300Blk rifle, or has started buying components to assemble their own...

This is a cut paste from my other thread, but it still sums it up nicely in my opinion:

The goal of 300Blk was to be able to fire a .30 cal projectile out of a standard AR-15, using the same bolt, BCG, magazines, buffer, buffer spring, lower receiver etc., with the only requirement being a barrel change. This allows a lightweight platform to fire a 115-147gr .308 bullet supersonic, out of the most common weapon in use by law enforcement and the military (with a huge amount of civilian shooter with AR15s as well).

Suppresion/subsonic is just a benefit of the round design. I've shot subsonics through my Blackout Upper and it sounds a hair louder than a .22, and it's pushing a 220 grain projectile. So don't get to hung up on not having a suppressor, as even the super sonic rounds are pretty quiet compared to their .308 counterparts,

Some of the hot topics about 300 Blackout:

"300 AAC Blackout has as much energy from a 16 inch barrel as 5.56mm from a 24 inch barrel. You get 8 inches of barrel for free."

"300 AAC BLACKOUT, due to the larger bore than 223, is very efficient in shorter barrels, and we have had good functioning results with AR barrels down to 6.2 inches."

"300 AAC Blackout has a little less energy at the muzzle(than 7.62x39), but due to higher BC bullets, it is equal by around 110 meters, and by 300 meters, the Remington 125 grain Match ammo has 16.7% more energy than even the hot Lapua 7.62x39mm ammo."

Regarding accuracy, I can shoot right around 1 MOA out of my upper at 100 yards off a bench, so it's definitely combat accurate.

Potency, it's a landslide. IMHO, there is no better round ballistically inside 250 yards for all purpose defensive use. The 147gr carry a metric ton of energy downrange, and it was rated combat effective to 410m out of a 9" barrel by the military. The new Barnes bullet apparently is pretty devastating as well.

Recoil impulse is equal to/less than a 5.56, and this was confirmed with 2 others who shot my 5.56 and 300Blk uppers back to back.

No weight penalty, as light as you can make your AR. So no added bulk and weight like you get with a 6.8 or .308 AR platform.

30k round estimated barrel life, due to the relatively low PSI of the catridge.

Out of a 9" barrel, you're getting a 125-147gr projectile at 2,000 ft/s, with 1,100 ft-lbs at the Muzzle. That's roughly 25% more than 5.56 M855 out of a 9" barrel.

Regarding reliability - the system has to be run wet. At leasts that's been my experience. I can shoot both super and subs through my AAC 16" barrel without issue. I originally had trouble short stroking with subs - but once I swapped to a standard carbine buffer I was good to go.

Clearly I'm a fan - so I might be biased. I'm currently working on a second upper as we speak.

Yea I don't reload so ammo is kinda pricey, I guess I can save the brass and sell it to lower the cost

Ammo isnt all THAT bad..you can get it for around $12-$15 per box if you shop around. As far as reloading, that's not all that expensive to start doing either.. .300AAC brass (Remanned from 5.56) can be had for pretty cheap (Brad's Whse $114/500 $220/1K) One caution of you build it yourself. Midway has barrels from SI Defense..NICE barrels, but the gas ports are VERY tight..i'm still playing with mine to get it to feed right...waiting till i have access to a mill or a really GOOD Drill press to bore out the gas port a tad. And Yes TM before you ask, I swapped out the Spikes H-2 buffer for a standard and tested it, as well as checked my Gas Block alignment before i decided i had to open up the port a little..Found out later that SI barrels are somewhat infamous for this.

CG, one more thing when it comes to reloading....You can do it VERY cheaply with the Lee Starter kit (Midway has one for $99) or spend $192 for their Lyman kit. Dies and Shellholder for .300AAC (same shellholder as .223) Dies are under $50.00 for the Lee set and the extra Factory Crimp Die. Plus once you get set up for ONE caliber...well, you know ;)

Hey Kpd - Have you tried running it with the BCG wet, and I mean almost soaking? That helped me with cycling issues, and I have an AAC barrel. I have heard about the early SI barrels gas ports being a little under sized.

Regarding ammo pricing for plinking, brass cased - reloadable - Remington ammo:

http://www.cheaperth...CO102860-1.html $10.36 a box

http://dansammo.us/r...lk-fmj-L300AAC2 $11.49/box if you buy 200rds

http://www.midwayusa...acket-box-of-20 $11.99 box.

Ammo isnt all THAT bad..you can get it for around $12-$15 per box if you shop around. As far as reloading, that's not all that expensive to start doing either.. .300AAC brass (Remanned from 5.56) can be had for pretty cheap (Brad's Whse $114/500 $220/1K) One caution of you build it yourself. Midway has barrels from SI Defense..NICE barrels, but the gas ports are VERY tight..i'm still playing with mine to get it to feed right...waiting till i have access to a mill or a really GOOD Drill press to bore out the gas port a tad. And Yes TM before you ask, I swapped out the Spikes H-2 buffer for a standard and tested it, as well as checked my Gas Block alignment before i decided i had to open up the port a little..Found out later that SI barrels are somewhat infamous for this.

You could try a lightened carrier too.

I watched some YouTube videos of subsonic 300 black out rounds vs. Standard 556 NATO, I couldn't believe how much more quite the 300 was. Not saying I would, but being everyone having ground hog problems... In a rural area... Possibly a good round lol.

I know this post is a bit older but I too was thinking of building myself a 300 blk. Just seems like a sweet round to have for if nothing else other than to have it. Cguiro, as mentioned above reloading isn't that expensive to get into especially if this is a round you don't plan on shooting a TON of. I have the lee reloading kit as stated above and am very happy with it I don't shoot as much as I would like to so it works for me, I can make as much ammo as I need for a range trip easily in about an hour and a half and that is with 2 kids 2 dogs and the wife asking questions or just bugging me. Jackson isn't horribly far from me, pending on where of coarse, but if you wanted to at least take a look at my press and set up to get an idea if it was something you where intersted n just let me know. I currently only have my xd .40 in my possession but I say easily 200 to 250 rds in that amount of time give or take a few minutes here or there. Again if your interested just let me know

I know this post is a bit older but I too was thinking of building myself a 300 blk. Just seems like a sweet round to have for if nothing else other than to have it. Cguiro, as mentioned above reloading isn't that expensive to get into especially if this is a round you don't plan on shooting a TON of. I have the lee reloading kit as stated above and am very happy with it I don't shoot as much as I would like to so it works for me, I can make as much ammo as I need for a range trip easily in about an hour and a half and that is with 2 kids 2 dogs and the wife asking questions or just bugging me. Jackson isn't horribly far from me, pending on where of coarse, but if you wanted to at least take a look at my press and set up to get an idea if it was something you where intersted n just let me know. I currently only have my xd .40 in my possession but I say easily 200 to 250 rds in that amount of time give or take a few minutes here or there. Again if your interested just let me know

Thanks for the invite. I will have to take u up on it sometime. As for my build, it was delayed due to an injury and I lost ot which means no fun money. fail. Oh well, it will be ready by next spring probably