Sign in to follow this  
GAPP

Low Light Pistol August 12

I was one of five who took this VERY interesting course last night. After a lively discussion of about 45 minutes covering different types of flashlight, cost versus utility and the effect of strobes, we went onto the range for a 200 round class. The course was conducted entirely in the dark, with flashlights, and lasted almost four hours.

We were shown five different ways of working with a flashlight. Three of these allowed a double-handed grip (of sorts!) to be used, two required strong single-handed skill to get shots on target. We performed what would ordinarily be a very basic drill on shooting strong-side and weak-side from cover, and learned how much more demanding this is in the dark.

The course was stepped up further by having to perform tactical and emergency reloads in the dark, with the flashlight, and learned the importance of not lighting oneself directly or indirectly while doing so, and how difficult it is to achieve this. A short exercise on moving while keeping the flashlight still (difficult and counter-intuitive) rounded out the course.

The shooting drills performed in this course would be well-within the skills of most experienced pistol shooters in the light. It was extraordinary how disorientating it was to work in the dark, and manipulate one's gun, reload AND shoot accurately, while having to hold and aim a flashlight, and turn it on and off.

This course is recommended and it is a challenge - it was great fun and very demanding even though the course of fire was straightforward. There was a lot to think about.

G

^^Exactly what he said^^

Couldn't have said it any better.. Got to meet and shoot with some really cool people. Cameron as usual made me feel like I got my moneys worth and then some and that is always a plus.

Looking forward to taking more classes.