johnp

Filling out OGAM exemption form

I started filling out the forms online, once my FFL has the guns in hand, he can fill in the section for serial numbers.

Aside from the 3 check boxes you choose from for the reason for exemption. At the bottom there is an essay section where you have to write out your reason for requesting the exemption. Do I just write "to enhance my collection" or what?

Do I submit this application directly to the NJSP or through my police department and they forward it to them?

IDK if anyone will know this or not but...what is the likelihood of an exemption NOT getting approved?

Obviously this is the first time I am submitting this form, anything I should know about the process, tips?

Thanks in advance!!!

Do I just write "to enhance my collection" or what? Sounds good to me.

Do I submit this application directly to the NJSP or through my police department and they forward it to them? The instructions say to give to the PD. Do you have permits to cover the exemptions already?

IDK if anyone will know this or not but...what is the likelihood of an exemption NOT getting approved? 1%

Obviously this is the first time I am submitting this form, anything I should know about the process, tips? 2 to 3 weeks turnaround time. I hope you have at least 3 to be exempt or you are wasting your time.

The instructions say to give to the PD. Do you have permits to cover the exemptions already?

No, I don't have the permits yet. I applied for them last week. Does that matter??

Do you have a link for the instructions? I looked on NJSP website and couldn't find anything that looked like instructions.

I successfully applied for a OGAM exemption this past summer. Here's what I did:

1. Applied for all the PPPs I needed. I expected a 10 week wait. (It turned out to be 14 through the NJSP Augusta barracks.)

2. Ordered and (my FFL) received all the handguns I wanted. I had 10 weeks to shop and bring them in.

3. Downloaded the two OGAM forms from the NJSP website. Filled in my PDF form on the computer; TYPED the form for my FFL to sign (the PDF for that is not fillable on the PC). Had ALL the serial numbers filled in. This is critical. Make sure all data matches on both forms; no mistakes!

4. On the expected PPP due date I sent the OGAM forms directly to the NJSP Firearms Unit in Trenton. I thought that gave me a good window into my first 90 days of permit time.

Here's what happened:

1. The approved OGAM exemption was delivered the same day as my PPPs. It took exactly three weeks for the OGAM.

2. The day I received them I bought one handgun at my FFL with a permit. (Not one on the OGAM form.)

3. Two days later I bought the rest on my OGAM form. (All OGAM handguns should be one SEPARATE and DISCRETE transaction and NICS check. Don't try to mix them up with stand-alone handgun permits.)

You must have a PPP for every handgun on the OGAM form. One NICS check will cover purchase for all of them. The serial numbers must match up at the NICS center.

READ THE STATUTE! 2C:58-3.4.a.(2) tells you very clearly what the criteria is for approval as a collector, and what they WILL and WILL NOT consider. In so many words I said:

1. I'm a collector. (If you have more than two handguns for your two hands, aren't you?)

2. I need these handguns to enhance my collection (and some other personal specifics).

3. I plan to (what I was going to use them for).

4. I belong to...(firearms organizations A, B, C and D).

5. Thank you for your consideration.

I said NOTHING false or misleading. Nor did I 'embellish' any facts. I didn't have to. The bar is set quite reasonably for approval.

So once again, READ THE STATUTE. It lists a host of reasons why you should qualify for a OGAM exemption. Use all the ones that apply to you (and none that don't).

And good luck!