johnott

In an Emergency Evacuation - Leave your firearms behind?

What if scenario: I know that "Emergencies" are not covered in exemptions for firearms transportation.... but what would you do if you were asked to evacuate? I don't feel comfortable leaving my firearms behind in the sense that they could be stolen or damaged in my absence. I would like to take them with me unloaded and locked up (even if it meant leaving all ammo behind), but I'm not sure NJ would see it my way.

There is the letter of the law verses the practical application of such restrictions.

DISCLAIMER: (All comments in this thread are to be considered as "opinion only" and in no way should these comments be construed as premeditated intent to perform an illegal act.) aka "just because I say I might do something doesn't mean I really would."

Well, for me i already have my handguns in a water and fireproof safe. I might take my "buy-as-if-I-might -possibly-get-a-CCW" Ruger LCR.

Buying the safe as all year protection means i don't have to scramble at the last minute.

Of course that kind of thinking didn't help when I swore I would get a generator almost 365 days ago... And didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was evacuating in my own vehicle, and I had certain firearms that were valuable or important to me. I would throw them in my trunk under the rest of my supplies.

I would make all my firearms inoperable (removing bolts, barrels or other key operating parts) and bring those parts with me. My fear is looters and even though my guns are locked in safes, no safe is 100% secure. I would bring one or two handguns, likely my revolvers. If I were to evacuate I'd probably head to PA where my carry permit is valid.

I just will not evacuate I have no risk of flooding where I live unless it is a noas arc type flood and then i am screwed anyway. So even if there is a mandatory evacuation I will bord up my house and hide during the evacuation. The only reason i would leave is if it was a wild fire because there is not much i can do to protect agenst that and then i would bring ALL my guns and other important items and i dont really care what the cops say. Although i do think that they would understand in that type of situation.

What if you disassembled all of them rendering them as just parts, would that be legal? If you have a box of gun parts in the trunk. As others have said, im pretty far from the ocean. All of the rivers would have to back up a ton, so i would stay and dig in as long as possible. Thats why i want a decent 4x4 truck, so you can gtfo if you need to and not have to worry so much about the quality of the roads with trees down and such. Nothing a chain saw, ax, 4x4 truck and a winch cant handle...

You would think our rocket scientist legislature would add an exception in 2C for evacuation situations..

If they gave a crap then self defense would come way, way before that. It's obvious, and ruled by the NJ supreme court, that the intent of the legislature is to restrict possession of firearms as much as possible. Not to help you out in any way.

There is no way I could bring all my firearms with me and have room for food, clothing and family. All my ammo would bottom out even my Suburban 2500's shocks.

At the very least, a Sig or two in my small portable Gun Vault and a shotgun will be traveling with me no matter what. My actions, certainly are not going to have a LEO ripping apart my car with no probable cause.

Even if they did, I am on my way to destination X, and I have every right to transport my legally owned guns. As far as coming to my door to confiscate all my firearms during a declared disaster, my PD isn't going to do that. We are Mayberry and in a town that is 2/3's state forest and one traffic light, leaglly armed citizens isn't a concern. Keeping urban invaders at bay via a neighborhood watch, will allow the PD to attend to other tasks.

And yea, leaving the wife home to protect the firearms got a good laugh.

I would take the kids and leave the wife home to protect the firearms.

My God this is funny! I spit out my chilli....welll played sir, well played

Hey if you evacuate and plan to live in your car until you can find other housing then wouldn't they be legal in your car?