Barms

talk about non-gasoline generators.. Propane, nat gas..

Vlad is correct. Burning heating oil in a Diesel engine will cause blue smoke because of a die. This is because of heating oil being cheaper than buying st the pump. Taxes are the main driver but if I get desperate enough ill pay the fine to burn it in my truck.

So who is up for a generator group buy when this BS is over?

+2 :)

I am looking to do a whole house transfer with an 8-9k. If it wont handle the load off of whatever im running (150A Service, but use nothing near that), I will just cut some non essential breakers. I like the natural gas approach, but if Im going to spend money on a generator I want to be able to get a wide range of use so "home standby" types would be out. If my power stays on like it did through this storm.. Im loaning it out to family.

<p>The tri-fuel type gens like Generac with adapter piques my interest. Run on LP at home (cheaper and unlimited fuel). When I dont need it home, I would use gasolin

So who is up for a generator group buy when this BS is over?

+2 :)

I am looking to do a whole house transfer with an 8-9k. If it wont handle the load off of whatever im running (150A Service, but use nothing near that), I will just cut some non essential breakers. I like the natural gas approach, but if Im going to spend money on a generator I want to be able to get a wide range of use so "home standby" types would be out. If my power stays on like it did through this storm.. Im loaning it out to family.

The tri-fuel type gens like Generac with adapter piques my interest. Run on LP at home (cheaper and unlimited fuel). When I dont need it home, I would use gasoline on the road. Unless im missing something and you either set it up for one fuel or the other and not both.

Rambling I know, but yeah I had planned to get one with my tax return next year, but it seems this lil disaster made me kick it up a few months earlier.

I found THIS LINK informative.

Nice find

Unless im missing something and you either set it up for one fuel or the other and not both.

With a kit Tri-Fuel I have it is whatever you want to use. I could toggle between NG and gasoline all day long, I don't use propane but if I did I would have to change fitting or two and adjust the regulator Load balance

Below is my 5500 watt B&S generator w/ self-conversation kit from US Carb and my Transfer switch install. On the regulator image that is the mount fabricated and welded-up to secure the regulator and keep it out of the way. I hung an eBay tach/hour meter off it so I could easily track oil changes, all that does is wrap around the spark plug wire 5 times. On the regulator the top ball valve is not required however if you switch back to gasoline you need to plug the line on the regulator so there is no vacuum. That is why I added the value on top, you could use a pencil or something to plug the hose if you go back to gasoline but that wasn’t for me. On normal NG (or propane) operation top valve is open. Behind the top valve handle is the Load balance to adjust your NG or Propane flow. That takes some adjusting to get that correct mix, a ¼ or 1/8 turn at a time. In my case I had to find the balance where the system starts on 2 pulls and don't run too rich. Too much NG going into the system will make your exhaust get HOT and turn cherry red.

All fittings from the regulator back to supply were not part of the kit and purchased separately by me. I used ¾ inch 90, short nipples, shut off valve flexible gas line w/quick disconnect and some pipe hangers I modified for mounting NG fitting to Generator’s frame just to name a few items. On carb side image you could see the adapter on the carb and the extension spliced in breather tube. The carb adapter comes with studs that extend beyond the adapter so you could reinstall your air filter. On my B&S engine I had to remove the choke lever before moving the air cleaner housing, you may see the hole on the air cleaner housing in my image where the choke handle use to be…

For those looking to get a portable generator I’d suggest shooting for the 5000 running watts range (or higher). If you start there you could add in a Transfer switch or

later on and pretty much run all the essential circuits in your home IMO. With a Transfer switch (or Interlock) system you could tie right into your panel. Some people prefer the Interlock over the Transfer Switch. Take a look at the
link I added, this guy does a Interlock install and provides a nice Transfer Switch vs. Interlock overview. He is a DIY as myself and does a nice job with his overview IMO. That said I installed the Transfer switch but I took his suggestion and installed emergency lighting near my panel so I didn’t have to screw around with a flash light during an outage. It was a fun project and glad I have it

reg.jpg

adapter.jpg

rtrans.jpg

Nice set-up! While I had at a minimum of 30 hours run time worth of gasoline, I'm considering the tri-fuel converter. Would be nice not to have to worry about refueling in the dark or bad weather.

VERY informative. Nice write up Mos. Im sold that for a few extra hundred i wont be running extension cords or be left at the whim of the gas station line. Tri fuel and transfer/interlock ahoy!

Thank you guys, I'm not an expert just passing along my experience as a DIY. A few more considerations if you opt to convert. If you convert it is “suggested” you use Conventional motor oil with “low ash content”, synthetic oil is not recommended, more about that here from the Tech over in the US Carb fourm. Second you would need to decrease your spark plug gap to burn NG (or Propane). Lastly if you are in the market for a generator (regardless of the fuel) and if you like your electronics devices you may want to look for a generator that uses True sine wave which provides cleaner power, that was another reason I went for my B&S, it plays nice with computers and TV(s)

Honda makes a 3k generator that has a kit to make it tri-fuel for under $200. You replace the carg to change it from gasoline to LP/Natural Gas. This unit has nice options as well. You can directly recharge 12v car / marine batteries without having to run them thru a traditional charger. And you can run these in series...add one more and you have 6k of power available and the benefit if one craps out, you still have a spare or to pull parts from if need be.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU3000iS-Tri-Fuel-Kit.asp?page=Honda_EU3000iS_Tri_Fuel_Kit

@ Wojo - Sure the Tri-fuel kit for the Honda is < $200 but for those on a budget take a look at the suggested MSRP price for that gen, it is $2329.95. If that suggested MSRP is anywhere near the street price that is allot of money for something that looks to be only capable of 3000watts @ 120volts according to the specs on the link you supplied, there is no mention of 240volts. It looks like it could only produce 240volts if you connect two Honda(s) together so 2 systems @ $2329.95 each, I don’t think so.

Looking at them I would not suggest those to anyone just starting out unless they need Super quiet and have deep pockets but if you already have an RV outfitted with dual Honda(s) then have at it. Those systems are clearly designed for small power needs like an RV's where space is a factor and you don’t want allot of noise. To power your home there are many better options with a single generator solution at less cost IMO.

Edit: I did go back and look at the 360 view and it does look like there is a 240 volt receptacle, that said still not a bargain

Retail around $1800. I like quiet. Less noise, less people looking to steal or borrow your generator. So yes, I will pay the premium for these features. Buying some Harbor Frieght brand that might be out of business tomorrow does me no good. Having a reputable brand, with local dealers I can drive to matter to me in an emergency.

Not for nothing, B&S and other motors, aren't what they used to be. You used to be able to rebuild them because they were built to last. Now they are another disposable component. I got a B&S motor on my lawn tractor and the upper rocker arms crapped out after 3 years. And yes I did maintain it. I'm a former helicopter gas turbine engine mechanic, I'm anal when it comes to maintenance. I pass on anything with a B&S motor on it now. I really hope you got one of the good ones and it lasts forever for you.

FWIW, I am not one of these guys that needs to have his big screen TV, full sized fridge, incandescent lights on and running exterior halogen lights. Power the blower on my gas furnance for a few hours, cycle once or twice a day my little apartment fridge in the basement and recharge my phone and I'm good. 3k is fine in 120v for me.

I like to kept a very, very, very low profile.

@ Wojo - If the trade-off for quiet and less power is worth the higher cost to you that’s your choice. I think most people want power. I’m not trying to be discreet nor was I trying to exclude appliances and devices from generator backup.. It was obvious I have a generator when street is blacked-out and my house was lit up with my outdoor lighting. If I want to go online, watch TV, make coffee, cook, wash a load of cloths, turn on the heat or turn a light on in a dark room that’s what I’m going to do. I wasn’t going to go with lesser wattage and get into that I’ll plug this in now and use that later when I could run it all at once. In fact, during the outage I threw an extension cord over to my neighbor and he powered up his refrigerator and turned on a few lights in his home. Needless to say they were pretty happy and I still had plenty of power to spare.

I never had any issues with B&S engines on mowers but we will see how this one does. If someone else that buys into that story that B&S “aren’t what they use to be” there are plenty of other manufactures to choose from with higher wattage. My point is suggested MSRP price or $1800 is allot of money for a small 3000watt unit. However if it is quiet you want that thing better sound like a mouse pissing on a cotton ball for that kind of money. I agree for an apartment 3000 is good but for a home, 3000 watts may come up short. Only you could choose what you need to run

So I finally got to sit and review some units and Im leaning towards a generac:

http://www.generac.c...oducts/GP7500E/

edit or maybe this

https://www.google.c...ved=0CGMQ8wIwAA

I dont see the model specified for the adapter and this site design makes my brain hurt. Does anyone know if the 7xxx series type 4 adapters would work? Im sure they are swamped as it is, so I will only call once all of this craziness dies down. If anyone has any insight with USCarb and Generac to share that would be great!

http://www.propane-g...-generators.htm

Thank you guys for the inputs here. I'm looking into the feasibility of changing my 5000w portable over to NG via the U.S. Carb kits. I already have the Reliance 10-circuit Transfer Switch, and everything runs great. But, gasoline availibility has been the weak link in the plan.

Thanks for the info so far.....

Thank you guys for the inputs here. I'm looking into the feasibility of changing my 5000w portable over to NG via the U.S. Carb kits. I already have the Reliance 10-circuit Transfer Switch, and everything runs great. But, gasoline availibility has been the weak link in the plan.

Thanks for the info so far.....

looking for portable generator recommendations that * play nicely * with the us carb tri fuel kit, like to stay around 600-800 dollars....at least 5000 watts, Who has had success with installs? I dont want to be cutting frames, and such.

Thanks.

Alec

looking for portable generator recommendations that * play nicely * with the us carb tri fuel kit, like to stay around 600-800 dollars....at least 5000 watts, Who has had success with installs? I dont want to be cutting frames, and such.

Thanks.

Alec

I have/converted this one, peice of cake. I just mounted on two studs I drilled for on the bottem of the frame. lots of clearence,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-5-700-Watt-Yamaha-301-cc-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-RD905712/203183983

Thanks.

Alec

I used a US Carb "C" kit on a Subaru SGX5000 to convert it to tri-fuel. Works like a charm. I did have to cut the frame just a little in order for the airbox to live nicely. The kit uses a shim between the carb and air filter, and extends it out about an inch and a half. I didn't cut the frame all the way through, I just used a saws-all to slice a half-moon shape into the frame tube, then cleaned it up with a grinder. Add a little shaker can flat black, and looks like factory. Took all of 15 minutes if that.

I know you were looking for non-frame cutting options, but I figured I'd let you know about my experiance just in case.

Running a new gas line outside and purchasing of 25ft of 3/4" flex NG/propane hose along with the 3/4" quick disconnects fittings was shockingly more expensive than I thought. The hose and QD fittings (2 of them) came to around $300 alone. Of course would be cheaper if you needed a shorter hose.

For those that want a decent generator setup that won't break the bank, you can try the following:

Harbor Freight:  Predator Generator (I got the 7k watt for $529 with coupon)

USCarburation:  Type C kit ($187), 3/4" Quick Disconnect couplers ($69), 6' length of 1/2" gas hose ($52) 

Home Depot:  Black iron pipe and accessories (elbows, unions, shutoff valves, etc.) ($75)

Everything was less than $1k and works great.  I got plenty of power with 7k continuous/8750 peak watts.

You would also need the generator cable and have a way to hook it up into your house (transfer switch or directly into the panel with an interlock)